Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-05-2010, 10:25 AM  
Weanling Member

Proud Flesh?? Pictures updated "little graphic"

I was wondering what everyone's remedies for getting proud flesh off without getting it cut off by a vet? I have a colt that hurt his foot and i am trying tno to get a vet cutting on it because he is so little and he already doesnt like people very much so im trying to make it as less tramatic as i can i wll get pictures of his progress from start to finish

Last edited by twhbea : 09-05-2010 at 06:40 PM.
twhbea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 10:44 AM  
Started

It sounds like you really need to get a vet out. He can give a shot that will reduce the pain and leave the foal with a much more positive experience than other alternatives. You also don't want to risk an infection going awry. There really is no substitute for a good vet sometimes.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:34 AM  
Weanling Member

let me get the pictures and rephrase this. there is NO INFECTION. Vet has seen it 2 times already along with my vet tech friend. She and i ride horses together and i dont have to have the vet all the time. I have saved money and time by learning her tricks and trades (she is a vet tech and has been for over 20 years) and I have had this guy on antibiotics since it happened on aug 7th. I have pictures of this horse probably every 3-5 days since it happened and have been emailing to my vet and they have told me caustic powder but dont have any in stock and have told me NOT to use wonder dust, I call another vet the tech said try meat tenderizer, and i have another telling me dont use any of that and use this furazone mixure she has. Been told it forms proud flesh. I have been useing this stuff called Dr. Underwoods. It i think does REAL GOOD. I like it because you dont even have to clean the wound and just spray it and throw backing powder on it and thats it. works good with babies who dont stand. this boy is only 4 months old.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:00 PM  
Weanling Member

An excellent home remedy for proud flesh is Adolph's meat tenderizer. Just sprinkle a generous amount of it into some antibiotic ointment, mix it well, and then liberally apply to the proud flesh. My vet told me about this when Sugar developed proud flesh after being kicked by another horse. However, we applied it as soon as the granulation tissue overgrew the edges of the wound (became "proud" in other words), so I'm not sure how it works on large areas or on proud flesh that is well established.
Unbridled Brunette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 05:03 PM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by twhbea View Post
let me get the pictures and rephrase this. there is NO INFECTION. Vet has seen it 2 times already along with my vet tech friend. She and i ride horses together and i dont have to have the vet all the time. I have saved money and time by learning her tricks and trades (she is a vet tech and has been for over 20 years) and I have had this guy on antibiotics since it happened on aug 7th. I have pictures of this horse probably every 3-5 days since it happened and have been emailing to my vet and they have told me caustic powder but dont have any in stock and have told me NOT to use wonder dust, I call another vet the tech said try meat tenderizer, and i have another telling me dont use any of that and use this furazone mixure she has. Been told it forms proud flesh. I have been useing this stuff called Dr. Underwoods. It i think does REAL GOOD. I like it because you dont even have to clean the wound and just spray it and throw backing powder on it and thats it. works good with babies who dont stand. this boy is only 4 months old.
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I don't have any remedies but I did think that wonder dust was good for proud flesh. How come the vet said not to use it? I've also heard good things about underwoods medicine but I don't remember if they specifically involved treating proud flesh. Sure hope you find something that works.
Old 09-05-2010, 06:17 PM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clippity-Clop View Post
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I don't have any remedies but I did think that wonder dust was good for proud flesh. How come the vet said not to use it? I've also heard good things about underwoods medicine but I don't remember if they specifically involved treating proud flesh. Sure hope you find something that works.
ITS A OK i got the pictures now

the next three are from today. Does it look likt proud flesh still???

Old 09-05-2010, 07:06 PM  
Pasture Pet

Underwoods and baking powder?? I have been in the horse business over 30 years and this is a new one on me. The baking powder part.
you put that stuff on PROUD FLESH and not even wash the wound or wrap it.??
can not imagine vets and a vet teck have not told you to have this scraped and wrapped and use a triple antibotic cream that you can buy in the dollar store or wally world for less than $3.00 .
that wound needs care and cleaning and if you love YOUR Boy than the answer is to scrap, clean and wrap,.
Sorry for my tone in advance but to me this would have cleared up alot by now if you had the right advice and treatment
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:19 PM  
Weanling Member

http://www.underwoodhorsemedicine.com/ ive used it before and it works just fine but never used it with proud flesh
Old 09-05-2010, 07:40 PM  
Started

Send a message via Yahoo to Druydess
Schreiner's takes care of proud flesh, and I also have heard from Vets not to use Wonderdust.
Druydess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:42 PM  
Weanling Member

Wow, that's a nasty case. Sorry you and your boy are having to deal with this.

Sugar's proud flesh was only about the size of a quarter and still fairly flush with the rest of her skin, so we didn't have to wrap it. We just scrubbed it twice a day and applied the meat tenderizer/antibiotic cream, but I'm pretty sure that alone wouldn't work in your case. I'm not sure if you can use the meat tenderizer with a wrap though, so you might want to ask a vet or someone with experience. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Unbridled Brunette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:57 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Yes, I think it looks better. How long have you been using the Underwoods?

I've never had occasion to use it myself, thank goodness, but have read lots of success stories and on waaay worse injuries than yours on lots of boards. You could do a search here in the Health and Nutrition forum for posts about those who have used it; or a google search would probably give you scores of opinions.

I agree that the don't-bother-to-wash-or-wrap-it part of the directions goes against everything I'd normally do for wound care but it seems to work so...?

"Ye've the look of a scoundrel! And a dandysprat and a ragamuffin. Though I'll admit, for all that, ye could yet be a congressman". From Jim Butcher's "Ghost Story"
Jean Genie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 07:58 PM  
Weanling Member

There is a spray called I think Granulex, works well on Proud Flesh.
Good luck!
janemcnaughton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:52 PM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Genie View Post
Yes, I think it looks better. How long have you been using the Underwoods?

I've never had occasion to use it myself, thank goodness, but have read lots of success stories and on waaay worse injuries than yours on lots of boards. You could do a search here in the Health and Nutrition forum for posts about those who have used it; or a google search would probably give you scores of opinions.

I agree that the don't-bother-to-wash-or-wrap-it part of the directions goes against everything I'd normally do for wound care but it seems to work so...?
I started using it when that nbg proud flesh picture formed (which was in a matter of 2 days growing believe it or not) and i have seen good results. I have been cleaning with perxiode (know u dont use it on healing wound cause it eats flesh that was my point) and have used betadine when i do clean it. But for the most part been useing the underwoods because i have a friend that swears by it and had worse than me but she used it to begin with but she never had proud flesh grow. I have started to try the meat tenderizer 3 days ago and wrapped it over night. When i unwrap it a think skin comes off and it comes down. But i didnt know what the last three pictures were. I didnt know if it was still proud flesh or not. this is my first case of it ive ever had. My friend that swore by this underwoods had a stallion that gored himself with a tpost and ripped a hole big enough you could fut a basketball in it and she had the pictures of it too and he is almost healed a year later so and thats all she used too is the underwoods. so i tried it and seeing you have to do nothing to it i liked. with him being a baby. Im sad it happened but glad it happened early due to him growing and still being cartliage (ms) Ive had professonal help tell me its doing better (my personal friend who is a vet tech) but i just wanted other opinions
Old 09-05-2010, 09:06 PM  
Kid Safe

I really think you need to worry about healing it first, then deal with the proud flesh. I would just want it to heal, then worry about the astetics.

RIP Justin
You stole my heart and for that, I am grateful.
Sirita_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:09 PM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirita_88 View Post
I really think you need to worry about healing it first, then deal with the proud flesh. I would just want it to heal, then worry about the astetics.
ok im courious what do you mean heal first then proud flesh? doesnt the proud flesh not allow proper healing?
Old 09-05-2010, 09:19 PM  
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by twhbea View Post
ok im courious what do you mean heal first then proud flesh? doesnt the proud flesh not allow proper healing?
I have never delt with proud flesh on an open wound. I had a horse with proud flesh, but it wasn't raw like that. His leg was healed, but you could peel off the proud flesh layers, but it was closed, no pink tissue.

also had another horse in the barn with proud flesh, once again his wound was healed and just had an area you could peel off, kind of like an ergot.

I also had a horse with a bad rope burn. We used some powder stuff we got from the vet to treat. I was worried about proud flesh but vet was more conscerned about infection.

To me your babe looks more like it is healing with granular tissue. I am just assuming you would let it heal and then cut off the remaining proud flesh you could. Although I do believe your babe is going to be stuck with a big thick scar.

Idk though, don't use my opinion as your first option because I don't have that much experience with proud flesh. In 4 years I should be shot if I don't know what to do.

RIP Justin
You stole my heart and for that, I am grateful.

Last edited by Sirita_88 : 09-05-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Sirita_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:43 PM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirita_88 View Post

To me your babe looks more like it is healing with granular tissue. I am just assuming you would let it heal and then cut off the remaining proud flesh you could..
how would you recommend letting it heal?
Old 09-05-2010, 09:49 PM  
Weanling Member

Dermagel. It works wonders for healing. I got it through the vet.
hielema10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 12:52 AM  
Coming two

I have used Underwood's with great success. But I did cold hose and scrub the wound daily until it would bleed all around the edges. Then I patted dry sprayed the Underwood's, dusted with baking powder.I didn't wrap but made sure I had lots of powder on as it is the replacement of the bandage. To begin with tho I used homemade sugardine for the first 10 days which worked GREAT but I couldn't mange to keep a cover on it so I switched over to the underwoods.

The wound I was dealing with was on a 3 week old filly that had a deep tear from mid chest all the way across her shoulder. We were down to the bone . 4 weeks she was healed closed and you can't see the scar but can feel a slight ridge.

Equine love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:26 AM  
Long Yearling

I don't think it looks like proud flesh in any of the pictures really. I am with sirita in letting it healed together first and then worry about proud flesh later. If treated right, proud flesh shouldn't even have a chance to grow. A wound that size needs to stay moist until it heals or it will just crack and have to start the whole healing process again. Betadine will do the same thing to healing tissue as peroxide, hibitane (stanhexidine) is a better cleaner because it is milder and won't hurt the new tissue but is still a great antibacterial soap. I would keep wrapping it with a antibiotic cream ( I have had great success with the hibitane cream) or the underwoods (never used it so don't know much about it). Wrapping it will help keep the proud flesh at bay because it won't be able to bulge above the skin level. It will also help to reduce the movement of the skin so it will heal faster.

Cuts on babies are a blessing in disguise in my opinion because you are forced to handle them multiple times a day and they will learn patience because you have to treat them, there is no downside to that!

Against the grain should be a way of life
Don't take the free ride in your own life
mlh619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition