Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2010, 09:24 PM  
Yearling Member

How to improve coat

My girl's coat has become a little duller, and her face is bad.

Missing lots of hair around her eyes.

What might help that?

More Omega-3's and Vitamin D?

"
All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay, and he'll listen to me any day."
KendalKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:44 PM  
Yearling Member

BOSS and a bit of oil in diet. Also, some good currying as well to bring up the oils.
Dreaming Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 03:04 AM  
Weanling Member

I feed Extruded bean meal...works wonders with my girls. They are also fed Omelene 200 feed. You can also put corn oil over her feed if you want a slightly cheaper route. Where the hair is missing you may try some MTG just in case...it will take care of most skin problems quickly. Good luck!
nw_rdnck09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:44 AM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendalKL View Post

What might help that?

If this is something new and she is kept outside, then its the summer doing it. Sun will bleach out and pull out the oils and if she wears a mask it might be rubbing her eyes (need a bigger mask) or she is just itchy.

What kinda of grain is she on ? A quality grain will produce a good coat.
Seminole is nice line with alot of omegas and such. I feed the low starch.

I heard BOSS and FLax seed works but they can go rancid too quick in our Fla weather.

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:42 AM  
Yearling Member

Omega horseshine is my favorite product for improving coat condition. It has a flax seed base and is really high in omega 3's. It could be the sun that is hurting your girl's coat, espcially if she is a darker color. You could try using a flysheet or spraying her with a coat conditioner that has sunscreen in it like vetrolin shine.
Other things like making sure she is on a good grain, is getting all the vitamins and minerals she needs, has access to nice grass, and gets a high quality hay will all keep her coat looking healthy too. And of course plenty of elbow grease when you curry her.

Sport D' Hiver-my lion hearted, dark bay, 1992 model TB, retired turf champion with winnings totaling over $500,000
XXSundanceXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:29 AM  
Long Yearling

Send a message via AIM to PeggySue
well balanced complete nutrition diet that is low in sugars and starches and lots of elbow grease
Old 08-19-2010, 06:59 AM  
Started

we use wheat germ oil to make our horses' coats shiny and help the shed more quickly and it works great!
Old 08-19-2010, 07:16 AM  
Kid Safe

I give Joey milled flax- it HAS to be milled- and he looks like satin. I get asked alot how I get him so shiny.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:10 PM  
Newborn Member

I find that alfalfa either as premium cubes or flakes and a good curry job are great ways to get a super shine. And I never wash them in shampoo, just conditioners.

Good luck getting your girl shimmery!
Palomino1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:29 PM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendalKL View Post

What might help that?

Are you 100% positive that she's sweating normally? Hair loss around eyes is a symptom of non-sweating. Is she also missing hair around her muzzle and chest? If so, I would carefully monitor how hot she's getting!

Last edited by bubbleslove : 08-31-2010 at 05:31 PM.
bubbleslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:00 PM  
Yearling Member

Really?
On her chest her hair is thinning out?

"
All I pay my psychiatrist is the cost of feed and hay, and he'll listen to me any day."
Old 09-01-2010, 05:30 AM  
Long Yearling

Really
Are her nostrils flaring? Does her breathing look labored even if she's just standing in a turn out? Is she sweating at all when you ride/work her? In this heat she ought to be sweating like a pig, but if she's only getting clammy, it's time to start treating her for non-sweating.

My non-sweater is under fans, kept in his stall during the day and only put out in the paddock after sunset. He also gets OneA/C in his feed, and is hosed off at least once a day. We don't have a lit arena, so he doesn't get worked at all unless it's this nice and cool hurricane weather we've been having down here.
bubbleslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:25 AM  
Long Yearling

I 2nd the Omega Horseshine. I also feed it to my dogs to help with their coats.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:48 AM  
Yearling Member

Try animal element. It will help ALOT, with coat color, texture, over all health, performance, and condition.

I can offer you a discount code, AND, I can offer you a free 40 day trial, if you're interested in tracking her improvement for me.
Amjzimm19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 01:59 PM  
Yearling Member

Tell me more about Animal element? I'd try it if I know more!

"
Old 09-01-2010, 02:46 PM  
Yearling Member

Here first is a link to their ingredients page; http://www.animalelement.com/ingredients.html
It is very helpful in describing how their all natural products aide our horses.

Here are some very nice testimonials to refer to;
http://www.animalelement.com/testimonials.html

Overally, animal element is and was created to help aide in the digestion processes of the horse, rid the horses body of toxins, etc. Hence its name as a Performance Detox. But, at the same time, we wanted to aide the horses' system as well, which is why many of the ingredients are multibeneficial.

With the Detox you'll see your horse shed alot of nasty, old hair, and bring in a shiney, soft, full coat. The texture of their mane, and tail will also change. This is just one of the benefits of using this product.

You'll also find good hoof growth, focus, as well as joint support from the HA & MSM, as well as all the benefits of zeolites healing properties.

You won't be dissappointed after trying a bag, that I can assure you!
Amjzimm19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 03:51 PM  
Yearling Member

also check to make sure she doesnt have lice. easily gotten rid of with lice dust. but always good to check..

gaylaah kaizar magic
Reyvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 04:30 PM  
Yearling Member

I do not believe she has lice. But how do I check to be safe?

She isn't labored breathing when turned out, and she SWEATS! I think it's more she's allergic to the gnats at night. She flips out when they're around her.

I've been putting a little Betaidone stuff around her ears and on her chest. It seems to be helping, and she lets me rub it in. So I'm taking it that's a good sign.

"
Old 09-07-2010, 09:33 PM  
Weanling Member

Here is a link to my latest post about my rescue...you can see what her coat looked like in first pics and last pics...she gets bean meal daily. You will like what you see! Sure she is much healthier, but for all my horses the bean meal adds shine and luster to their coats.

http://forum.horsetopia.com/meet-hor...iet-rehab.html
nw_rdnck09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 08:28 PM  
Yearling Member

WOW! Congrats on a job well done!
She looks great!!!! <3

What is bean meal? Sorry, just have never heard anything about it, ever actually...

I'm trying to give her a good hard curry everyday, I'm spraying her with somekind of shine spray. And I just bought the Smartshine, since I'm fairly certain she's lacking Omega3's. But what is the bean meal? That might be something I could try.

As long as Cadence will eat it, she's VERY picky. Won't even eat beet pulp, picks around it.

"

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition