Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2010, 10:53 AM  
Bombproof Member

Do horses get Pink Eye?

Or something along those lines ...?

I know I myself have many times yelled at folks on here - "call a vet." So I feel a liittle odd about posting this. But it's not my horse, and this horse's owner just lost her job. So we're trying to figure out at what point it's a "must call," versus "wait a little more ..."

Saturday the mare was mostly fine, but just a little tiny discharge out of one eye. Nothing too unusual given that it's fly season, and she's out to pasture 24/7. I personally used a new fly spray on her that evening, so I don't want to discount the possibility of an allergy to the spray. But it has not been re-applied since Saturday.

Sunday no one worked with her.

Monday, both eyes were a bit inflamed and the area a little swollen. I tried to get a look into the worst one to see if there was anything floating around in there that needed to come out. There was a lot of redness to the tissues, and she seemed bothered, like it was itchy and she was wanting me to help.

I was hoping it was just fly irritations, or even possibly a bee or wasp sting that could be jsut about anywhere on the body, and it was a sign of a generalized allergic reaction. So we felt all around searching for anything like that, couldn't find anything.

Today, the eyes looked a bit worse, nearly half shut when I first found her in pasture. Later on with some time in the shade in the pen and some hay, they didn't look bad at all. Still weepy and swollen looking tho.

Time to call a vet?

Do they get something similar to pink eye that can be super contagious?

One last piece of info was that she had a cough with being off her feed and general lethargy about a month ago. WAs given a course of antibiotics at that time.
Old 07-13-2010, 12:09 PM  
Started

Call the vet, I don't mess around with eyes. It may be a general allergic reaction, it may be uveitis (pinkeye, not sure if it's as contagious as the human variety). Either way, she sounds VERY uncomfortable. I had a friend recently have her horse lose an eye due to uveitis that wasn't treated aggressively enough.
sfl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:23 PM  

I would call the vet. Yes, they can have pink eye and it needs to be treated.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:13 PM  
Bombproof Member

Thanks ... I am really hoping the vet will be called. So far to this point I've been trying to be helpful but not pushy.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:36 PM  
Bombproof Member

Update. The horse was much better by the end of the day, and today looks even better yet. She has not been seen by a vet.

At the moment the two leading theories are bug sensitivity and plant sensitivity. She been out to a "new" pasture in the last couple of weeks that's very big, and hopefully she just got into some weird thing that disagreed with her, plant or insect.

There's also the fact that I sprayed her with a new-to-her fly spray on Saturday. I've not used it since, just in case that had anything to with it. (I mean, I know better than to spray it in her eyes, but maybe she could possibly have an allergy to it. Long shot, just being safe.)
Old 07-14-2010, 08:45 PM  
Started

It could be the bug spray. If you sprayed her legs and she rubbed her face on her leg it could have gotten in her eyes then.

Glad to hear she is doing better
Old 07-17-2010, 10:00 PM  
Long Yearling

Horses do get pink eye, but this doesn't sound like it. For anyones' info, pink eye usually has lots of streaming from the eye for a few days, and then there will be a white spot that will grow over time to cover the whole lens. The eye does not look pink ( like in people pink eye). If left untreated, the white spot with then ulcerate into a large red ulcer, very nasty looking. Believe it or not, I've seen goat and cows at this stage and treated have regained thier sight.
Chrystalstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition