Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2010, 12:24 PM  
Weanling Member

Cloudy eye...

My 20+ year old mare has a cloudy eye and it seems to be getting more and more cloudy....I'm unaware of any injury to the eye but it's possible. Do horses get cataracts when they age, like some humans? Or what causes this??? Her vision is effected.....good thing her other eye is ok for now.....
ilovepaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:26 PM  
Started

I think it just maybe her age. Just keep a watchful eye on her to make sure she is not running into things or hurting herself.

There are lots of horses out there that are completely blind and they do just fine.
Old 06-29-2010, 12:29 PM  
Started

Send a message via MSN to horsey-gal
I just had the vet out today for my horses eye being cloudy. He has Uveitis, I suggest getting the vet out ASAP.
Prayers it isn't too serious.

" If God made anything more beautiful, he kept it for himself. "
horsey-gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:29 PM  
Weanling Member

OH and one more question, how easy is it to keep a totally blind horse (she's not totally blind yet but it is a good possibility that she will be in the future)? She is very herd bound and is never alone. She does/has walked right through my electric fence but only where the gate is located and I had just taken one of the other horses out (her fav pal) so maybe she thought that the gate was open.....I don't know.....
Old 06-29-2010, 12:32 PM  
Weanling Member

what are the symptoms of Uvietitis? cloudy eyes? is there swelling discharge or anything else? She has had this for a couple of years just getting worse in the one eye....praying that the other eye will be ok for many more years.....
Old 06-29-2010, 12:39 PM  
Weanling Member

here is a pic of the old woman.....and man can she be a B****

Old 06-29-2010, 12:40 PM  
Weanling Member

I will try to get a pic of her eye to show you just what I mean....
Old 06-29-2010, 01:30 PM  

Eyes are nothing to play with. I would have a vet come look at her.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:39 PM  
Started

Send a message via MSN to horsey-gal
My boy had a runny eye yesturday, then today it was cloudy. Uveitis is painful, so I wouldn't wait too long.

" If God made anything more beautiful, he kept it for himself. "
horsey-gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:01 PM  
Started

yes horses can get cataracts and glaucoma. I am unsure as to the treatment that they go through, some recover some still go blind. I am the proud owner of a totally blind yearling and a 90% blind 30 year old. It is very possible to keep one and for them to livve happy lives. You can Pm me if you want and I can direct you to a group that has blind horses and we are a little support group
Old 06-29-2010, 07:28 PM  
Yearling Member

One of the horses at my workplace just had her eye removed due to a long stint of recurrent uveitis, a problem most likely stemming from an eye injury that happened years and years ago as a young horse. You say her eyes have been cloudy for a few years now, did a vet ever look at them? Uveitis can have many different symptoms, which is why it is so important to get a vet out ASAP when things such as swelling, excess discharge, and/or cloudiness occur.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:24 PM  
Weanling Member

Good news & Bad news........ good news is no Uveitis..........bad new cataracts in her left eye oh and some scarring and she only has blurred vision at best in that eye, she can still tell if something is there but she may not know what it is..... So she must have really bumped it hard on something. But there was never any visible injury. I don't know how it happened. She is the same horse that cut her leg in a pattock with no trees or bushes just grass......., More good news no cataracts are forming in her right eye (yet) vet says it's possible that she could develop them but for now her right eye looks perfectly healthy. He put some drops in and then he could see into her eye better (I think maybe they dialated her pupil) But nothing we can do for it and she doesn't have to have it removed....ever of course unless some accident happens because she can't see and she bumps it again! grrrrr horses, gotta love em!

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition