Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2010, 06:44 PM  
Newborn Member

Unhappy Little Bumps on my QH's 1 side

My 5 yr old Quarter horse has little bumps on her left side
they are under the skin and she doesn't mind us touching them.
there are several all on just her left side.
anyone know what this could be from?
akempen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:45 PM  
Bombproof Member

Do they have little scabs ? My guess is she rolled / layed in some ants.

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:47 PM  
Weanling Member

I'm going to agree with barnbum. She probably just got into some ants or something like that and they caused little welts. If they don't go away in a week or two then I might get a little concern and would call the vet and talk on the phone to see what they might think.

A horse is the projection of peoples' dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence. ~
Pam Brown
Silver_Spur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:31 PM  
Newborn Member

She doesn't have any scabs... they are like little balls under the skin. it is Way to cold for ants! only hit 40 today, and we had snow last week.
Old 05-12-2010, 07:30 AM  
Coming two

My horse had three small soft bumps on his leg yesterday, he got bit or stung by something. He also has had hives in the past, he moved to California from Wyoming and something made him break out in hives. As he is a roan, his coloring on the hives bumps turned straight red instead of roan color, they were on his rump so now he looks like an appaloosa!

Are they hard balls or soft balls? isn't there an insect that hatches under the skin? It is spring, even if it did snow...

https://www.facebook.com/CrownMaxLonghorn
Arabx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:40 AM  
Yearling Member

You might check with your vet. I had a filly develop warbles under her skin (during the dead of winter) despite a fairly standard worming routine. (I was horrified it happened and kept insisting to the vet that she couldn't possibly have worms because of my worming rotation.) Warbles are a parasite that migrate from their stomach through the bloodstream and make little pockets to live in under their skin. Several doses (3-4) of Ivermectin Gold at 10 day intervals took care of them. (It's a bit 'icky' as they die off because the lumps containing the critters have to break open and will drain just a little bit - she still has larger lump (about an inch long) left that never ruptured or completely resolved - it's just a bit of scar tissue now. My horse's were lumps (some pea sized, others larger) that were on her chest and front left shoulder. Just a thought.
Tobiesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 09:23 PM  
Coming two

Could simply be an allergy to something.My one mare has bumps on her one side right now{look to be hives},seeing that it is more localized to one area probably some contact allergy. I just started her on some dex powder today.From past experience generally just a couple doses should be gone.
paintedpastures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:28 PM  
Halter broke

Our gelding gets a rash of little raised bumps when in contact with barn lime. We had the vet out to check and there wasn't much that we can do, except to kindly ask our boarding barn to not use the lime directly on top of the bedding. So, I agree that it could be some type of contact rash.
pfabulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 01:35 PM  
Newborn Member

Unhappy

Well The reason we noticed the little bumps is because she is in training and she doesn't like to go left in the round pen. On the ground she likes to be brushed and bridled from her right. she doesn't want to expose that side if she can prevent it.
I rub on the bumps and she doesn't seem to mind. The bumps are not hard and pea size or slightly larger.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition

« Colic?? | welts »