Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2010, 11:29 AM  
Long Yearling

Worming

Just curious as to how many times do you guys worm your horses a year?
The way I've learned is that it's four times a year , one for each season, and that seems to be the common answer for most people. But recently I've heard of someone worming six times a year?
So, what do you guys do?
In_Between2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:48 PM  
Seasoned

I used to worm 6 times a year. For one year, I even did 8 times. I had the vet out in February and when I asked her she told me 4 times a year for our area and the amount of horses I run on the acreage. I have 5 big horses and 1 mini and they run about 30 acres. You would probably be best off to ask your vet as I'm sure different areas do different things.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:55 PM  
Halter broke

6X a year

I run a boarding facility, plus I travel with my horses at least one weekend a month; therefore, I worm every 6 mths that includes the boarded horses as well. I do this b/c of the amount of exposure my horses have with different horses and locations in other states.
2himaintenance4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 03:30 PM  
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2himaintenance4u View Post
I run a boarding facility, plus I travel with my horses at least one weekend a month; therefore, I worm every 6 mths that includes the boarded horses as well. I do this b/c of the amount of exposure my horses have with different horses and locations in other states.
Did you mean you worm every 6 weeks? Every 6 months is not that often...

I used to worm every 2 months. Then I started doing fecal exams. I have not wormed for 5 months and the last fecals I had done were negative. The vet thinks I can worm twice/year and be fine. I do have my own farm (about 8 acres of pasture and three horses), but we take two of the horses off the farm for trail riding frequently. We do not let them eat grass at these places though. These horses are dry lotted in a small barn lot for several weeks during the winter/spring as well.

The best way to worm is to only do it when they need it.

Last edited by fishing_trex : 04-16-2010 at 03:32 PM.
fishing_trex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:00 PM  
Long Yearling

12 months...maybe it's a Florida thing lol.
bubbleslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 04:13 PM  
Yearling Member

we also have a boarding facility and many times some horses go off property. so we worm every 3 months. whether they need it or not. we had one boarder who didnt worm properly and their horse got really sick from the worm infection (this was way way back, when we really only did it as a favor to some friends). got rid of the worms but he developed another infection on top of the first, in his lungs. home vet took ov er 5 gals of fluid out of his chest cavity. then we got him to purdue and they gave him a 15% chance to live with his only option being a pasture pet because his lungs would be so destroyed after. so he was put down. he wasnt even 3.

now every horse gets wormed with in 3 days the whole tube every 3 months. with the deer, raccons, opposums, skunks, et that run through here.. not doing that again.

but its whats best for you, the horses, and your area.

gaylaah kaizar magic
Reyvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 05:11 PM  
Weanling Member

We use a rotational program and deworm every six weeks. Foals are wormed every four weeks until a year of age.
minis4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:19 PM  
Coming two

It has been recommended in this area to worm twice annually unless it is needed more frequently. Once after the last hard frost of spring and once after the first hard frost of fall/winter...

No mountain is too tall to climb if the first step is belief in oneself.
3horses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:38 PM  
Yearling Member

I think my vet mentioned 4 times a year, Bot wormer just after the first hard frost in the fall and after the last frost in the spring, and regular wormer halfway through the summer and halfway through the winter.
s-mylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 11:43 PM  
Long Yearling

5x a year for my mare. We do the Power Pac in Nov, Quest Gel 3x and a shot of Ivermectin in April.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:57 PM  
Yearling Member

Every three months for me here in Alberta.
Old 04-17-2010, 12:31 AM  
Bombproof Member

Smaller the area, the more times you worm as they are eating over each other from the ground.

I rotational worm every one to 2 months. I have my horses in a smaller area.
When they were on 10 acres of pasture, every three months, rotating.

Actually going on 6 years
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:12 AM  
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers View Post
Smaller the area, the more times you worm as they are eating over each other from the ground.
I believe, technically, this should read "the smaller the area, the more times you MAY NEED TO worm"... if no one is shedding eggs, it's not nearly the problem even in a small area.

Many horses can get by with being wormed only 2 or 3 times a year, as they develop a natural resistance to the parasites. Recent studies indicate that only about 5% of horses that are being wormed every 2 months actually need it that often...

It's more expensive the first year to do fecals than it is to simply worm every 60 days; but as your horse's "history" becomes known, you may only have to worm once or twice a year (always at least once for tapes as they don't show up in most fecals), and you can cut the fecals down to twice/year (or do them yourself).
Old 04-17-2010, 09:27 AM  
Seasoned

Four times a year for my horses.
Red Gate Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:50 AM  
Weanling Member

Send a message via AIM to PaladinCentaur
6x a year

We worm every other month and rotate wormers. Just following the vet's advice. We have three horses on about 16 acres here in Louisiana. You could probably do four a year, one for each season, and be perfectly alright, unless you have a small area with a lot of horses as others have suggested.

Hope that helped.
PaladinCentaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 11:37 AM  
Yearling Member

6x a year. But my horse is on 10 acres with 14 other horses (yes I know that is not good, but it is a temp. situation, hopefully only until June) and there are horses going on and off property a lot.
One I bring him home I may cut back to 4x a year, depending on what my vet reccommends

Sport D' Hiver-my lion hearted, dark bay, 1992 model TB, retired turf champion with winnings totaling over $500,000
XXSundanceXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 12:27 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via AIM to Smilie
There are many factors to consider in an individual de worming program, and 'not one size fits all'
Age of horse. Foals and yearlings are more prone to infestation, as horses do develope some immunity to parasites over time, esp round worms. Thus young horses need more frequent de-worming than older horses, kept in the same situation
Climate-here in Alberta we have extremely low temps during the winter, so that no immature parasites are able to be picked up in the dormant snow covered pastures-thus I de -worm during the months that count
I can't imagine just de worming once a year in a climate like Florida
Traffic of horses in and out. When we bred outside mares, all were dewormed as soon a s they arrived.and none were turned out on our pastures
Actually, and I admit I don't do it, horses should be dewormed as individuals, based on fecal egg counts. Some horses are very high shedders and need to be de -wormed more often then their pasture mates
Also, just like antibiotics, and even more so, resistence to present used de-wormers is increasing, due to indiscriminate use. This is a huge concern, as in some areas , ivermectin worm resistence is huge
So far , as I am aware of, no resistence has yet been shown to Monodexrin (Quest ), but it is the newest one on the market. There is presently no new de-wormer on the horizon-a true concern
It's common sense that the smaller the area and denser as to horse population, the more frequently those horses need to be de-wormed
Old 04-17-2010, 01:35 PM  
Yearling Member

I use to be at a breeding/boarding facility that wormed her horses once in a blue moon and I would do Fortune every 2 months. She also didn't keep her pastures very well maintained. Where I'm at now the lady only does it every 4 months. She also keeps one horse per pasture/paddock and drags/cuts her pastures/paddocks. I also do a fecal every 6 months just to make sure.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition