Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2010, 09:53 AM  
Newborn Member

arthritis and stifle problems

My poor Coy is having problem this winter worse than in the past. Coy is about 20 yrs old, poor thing was rode hard back in his days. Barrel race and cutting events, did well, until he injured his stifle, no longer able to event him, he became mine. He has been our baby, light riding, pasturing, and corral buddy for Timber. This winter his poor joints are very painful for him, we have stopped riding him. I have him on joint supplements, liniments and wraps, I pony him behind Timber for light walks and exercise. Is there an antiinflammatory I can use to help him? Or any other advise? I hate seeing him suffer, warmer days he seems fine, so I do not feel he is bad to the point of putting him down. Looking for relief for him and me.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:48 PM  
Started

Sounds like you're doing all the right things for him. You mentioned joint supplements, what type are you feeding? There are SO many different ingredients and different strengths... I think both Yucca and Devils Claw both have anti-inflammatory actions, and they can be found on their own in supplements or mixed in with variations of glucosamines, etc. You could ask your vet about Bute for really bad days, but you have to be careful to avoid giving too much too often and ending up with ulcers.

As far as liniments are concerned, in humans you can get the rub on capsaicin creams to help with arthritis pain. It not only has the topical "warming" effect, but actually can deaden the responsiveness of the pain receptors (sorry, every once in a while the professor in me comes out...). It might be worth giving a try, I don't know if there are equine versions or not.

Keeping him moving is the best thing for him, keep up the good work.
sfl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:48 PM  
Pasture Pet

Are you doing any injections? I find those to be much more useful than suppliments if your horse is already at the stage of being lame.

You may also want to try an Omega-3 oil. The Omega-3 oil can help repare joint fluid. It has done much more for our dog with discospondilosis than the NSAIDS he had been on.

Karen
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 07:58 PM  
Yearling Member

I've seen good results from B-L solution. It is made with Devil's Claw and B vitamins as an 'natural' anti-inflammatory.
misstishus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 08:52 PM  
Kid Safe

I will ssecond the injections....If this horse is allready at the point of being lame, he would benefit from injections of Adequan, a feed through joint supplement such as Cosequin, and an anti inflammatory such as bute......I don't play into worrying about ulcers with occasional use of bute. Studies have found that you can give a fairly large dose of bute for a good period of time before ulcers form, but of course each horse is different. You can also avoid that by giving a stomach buffer or a little alfalfa hay daily......You should speak with your veterinarian about a course of action to keep this horse as confortable as possible.

"Animals are such agreeable friends--they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms..." --George Eliot

In Loving Memory of Spikey...My Best Friend...I Miss You RIP 1988-2009
kanoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:13 AM  
Bombproof Member

Just an FYI,...,
my vet told me not to waste my money using 'yucca'.
He said it would take feeding in HUGE quantities to have any effect whatsoever on a 1000 lb horse.
Also, he hasn't seen any research that proves that it does anything to help with arthritis, and he feels its just a 'filler' type ingredient.

He recommended that 'if' I wanted to feed a daily joint supplement as 'preventative maintence',
to feed glucosamine, and MSM.
A 1000 lb horse would need a minimum of 10,000 mgs of each, per day, to be effective.

I feed 'Hylagen 60', 2 ozs per day.
I have found it to be cheapest when I order it from www.heartlandveterinarysupply.com.

Good luck
redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:22 PM  
Yearling Member

also.. the longer they stand still the harder it is on their joints. the more they move the better off his joints will be, as far as the arthritis is concerned. constand pasture turn out is the best option. Stretch had arthritis since he was 20 (also worked hard in his other life) and we didnt start putting him on supplements till keeping him in a stall over night in bad weather left barely able to move. So we put him on fluid flex. Fixed it. Until he got a lot older but still being out helped him a lto more then being in. Even in cold weather.

gaylaah kaizar magic
Reyvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 02:33 PM  
Newborn Member

MSM

I have used MSM also it worked good on an old rescue horse i had and i have been using it on my my paso fino that had sore weak back legs from over work. one week later he is doing much better. hope this helps him.
paintaloosa girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 02:38 PM  
Newborn Member

Ok the linament I am using is Bigeloil, gel form, then I wrap him in that foamy kinda of gause, then the horse wraps. However we are having our So CA weather so I stopped the wraps for now. The joint supplement I am using is Rapid Flex, with glucosamine hci chondroitin sulfate. Coy's corrals is not small, he shares his corral at night with Timber and the corral is 24' x 80' and I turn them out to pasture, every day, at least 5 hrs a day, 40 acres, which they share with 5 other horses. With the weather warming and the treatments Coy has been getting he seems much better, I'm am wanting to try riding him on short light rides, is this a bad idea? I am ponying him behind Timber, but neither horse seems to enjoy this. Can't leave him behind, he freaks not getting to go. I am not giving him injections, but if he flares up again I may.

Last edited by ivakonya : 03-17-2010 at 02:57 PM.
ivakonya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:23 PM  
Kid Safe

Before injections you may want to try adequan for a while. It's an easy shot, anyways.

If he is having a very big flare up, and it doesn't happen that often you could do a gram or two of bute or a dose of banamine or equioxx but don't do that too often.

RIP Justin
You stole my heart and for that, I am grateful.
Sirita_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 04:50 PM  
Long Yearling

You might ask your vet about Previcox - it was originally formulated for dogs with arthritis but they are having great success in horses too.

Visit us at www.goldencrossranch.com
Bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:58 PM  
Kid Safe

I have used AniFlex GL for close to 20 years. First on a mare that died at 36, no lameness ever. Now on a mare that is 33 and was diagnosed with arthritis in both hocks about 15 years ago. She moves great, even in the winter. I also give it to my 13 yr old german shepard mix, he broke his hip 2 years ago and he runs around like a youngster.

You don't have to be crazy to be my friend,
but it helps!!!
sundancer maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 08:37 AM  
Newborn Member

This is the best thing I have seen for joints:

http://www.farmvet.com/p-393-lubrisyn.aspx
thehorsebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 09:04 AM  
Kid Safe

My horse had a Legend shot yesterday. It's hyalauronic acid (sp?). My vet doesn't like the Adequan shots, she'll only get it i if someone orders it.
I recently started a thread on here titled 'Legend vs Adequan' or something like that. You might want to check it out. There's a lot of information from people that responded. Most people that responded really like the Adequan, it's glucosamine.

I give my horse glucosamine orally, it has MSM and chondroitin in it as well. My vet yesterday suggested Corta-Flx Bio-Iso-G as it has devil's claw and yucca as well as the glucosamine, MSM, and chondroitin. Supposedly, it's 'isolates' and is absorbed better.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:16 AM  
Weanling Member

I use the pure MSM from Sprout . . . its 99.9% pure compared to other brands. I might be wrong on this, but from what I've read, MSM is the root that begins production of all those other joint goodies like hyaluronic acid, glucosamine, etc. I have to keep my horses on a tight budget so I wanted the supplement that sparked production of the rest . . .

But yeah, it works wonderfully! It reduces inflammation and gives joints a chance to recover. Before my 6 yr old mare wouldn't let me get near the saddle stirrups, then I used MSM for a couple weeks and now she lets me put all my weight in the saddle. Of course she injured herself and we have to postpone training again
Old 04-06-2010, 09:35 AM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivakonya View Post
My poor Coy is having problem this winter worse than in the past. Coy is about 20 yrs old, poor thing was rode hard back in his days. Barrel race and cutting events, did well, until he injured his stifle, no longer able to event him, he became mine. He has been our baby, light riding, pasturing, and corral buddy for Timber. This winter his poor joints are very painful for him, we have stopped riding him. I have him on joint supplements, liniments and wraps, I pony him behind Timber for light walks and exercise. Is there an antiinflammatory I can use to help him? Or any other advise? I hate seeing him suffer, warmer days he seems fine, so I do not feel he is bad to the point of putting him down. Looking for relief for him and me.
My old Paint mare, Jesse Jane has the same problem. She had a terrible winter but is feeling a little bit better now that the ground isn't frozen and the warm sun is shining on her...bless her heart...we don't ride her anymore...we're just trying to keep her comfortable. I bought the apple flavored powdered bute from the vet...I don't worry about the ulcers either, just quality of life at this point.
Old 04-07-2010, 04:07 AM  
Yearling Member

Strawberrygirl? Where do you get the MSM? I have an elderly mare who has severe arthritis in one of her front legs. I have just started her on a joint supplement but don't know for sure how it will work. Hearing about something that really works makes me want to try it!
Thanks!
Janet
Aspen3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:51 AM  
Seasoned

MSM can be bought at feed stores, at least here it can. I've used a Hoof/Joint/Coat combo for years and my mare is 19, has some minor stifle issues. They haven't bothered her. Good luck with your horse

PaintsQH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:15 AM  
Weanling Member

Aspen, I buy the MSM at Fleet Farm. I have seen it at TSC, Farm and Fleet, and higher end farm and garden type stores. The feedmills here don't carry it for some reason Usually the containers say MSM in bold letters across the front.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:28 AM  
Yearling Member

I have found that the Adequan injections work wonders on Fortune. I just don't waste my time with supplements. Most take at least 30 days before they show results if they do. Plus the more I ride Fortune the better he moves and feels better. Good Luck

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition