Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2010, 04:11 PM  
Coming two

orange nasal discharge???

When I went to the barn to visit my mares today, one of them had this orange nasal discharge. She seems fine other than that. Eating well, drinking normally, she nickered to me when she saw her supper. I will be putting a call into the vet tomorrow since she did sound congested when I hand walked her. I'm not sure if she was congested or just hot from the 80 degree weather and her huge winter coat- but I think it was congestion.

I cleaned up her nose as best I could- it was full of dirt. Then I stood out and brushed her for awhile. Her nose was still dripping a little bit. I cleaned it again and it was kind a clear- orange tinged color. Not a dark orange, kind of a orange tinted peach color? It also seems to be dripping mostly from one nostril. The other nostril had some dirt in it, but wasn't dripping at all.

What do you think? Sinus infection?
horsecrazygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 04:47 PM  
Pasture Pet

Did you take her temperature?

My first thought was there is some blood mixed in with the discharge to make it orange.

Had a horse here develope a clear/orangish discharge and it was some sort of growth causing irritation in the sinus.

Karen
EquineAlberta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 08:53 PM  
Seasoned

This has come up before:
http://forum.horsetopia.com/health-n...discharge.html

Is it clear or opaque? Thin or thick?

Orange usually means blood, but she could have simply snorted and busted a blood vessel.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition