Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2010, 07:55 AM  
Long Yearling

Any ideas for treating proud flesh..

On a horse that has serious trust issues...
I picked up a mare last night, as much to save them from her and vice versa.. any way..

the mare, up until 4 months ago, had never been touched.. she is a 2003 model.. so almost seven years just running on a ranch with no human contact..except maybe to run the herd in to vaccinate and deworm..

This mare (sorry I don't have a name for her yet) appearantly got run through a pile of rubble on their property (go figure) and has a pretty nasty looking cut in her back leg right on the cannon bone.. proud flesh and all.. the problem is that she won't let anyone touch it to doctor it..

I am looking for the least complicated method of treating proud flesh.. What about schreiners (sp) can i just spray this on from a distance with out cleaning the wound.. someone mention meat tenderizer..
Let's face it this mares contact with humans has not been good and isn't going to get any better unless I can treat her with out a lot of fuss . I have thought about twitching, which we may have to do.. taking her to the vet to have him sedate her so I can take care of it..

She got loose one day from these people so they chased her all over the country side with their truck. And I mean all over .. the husband was quite pleased with himself in telling me about how he almost burned up his transmissin "crashing through farmers fields"
anyway any thought would be appreciated.. and yes I am working on pictures..

Quality Peformance horses with foundation breeding
http://blackcanyonpaints.webs.com/
CowhorseGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 08:42 AM  
Pasture Pet

Sounds like she has had a rough start, We had a gelding that was handled everyday and cut his back leg and what a temper tantrum he had, sedation and twitch only annoyed him more, finally it healed to the point that he let us medicate him, one year later would you know cut the same leg, now no way is he letting us treat him, so the vet and I agreed to lay him flat with tranq and for 15 minutes she patched him up, 3 days later the same thing to change the wrap,. by the end of 10 days we were able to dress and undress the wound with no tie or halter.
sooo perhaps the best thing is to do that, or handle her everyday to build trust, proud flesh needs to be cut out, and please do not twitch her, she will probably only panic more.
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:00 AM  
Coming two

Can you get close enough to spray Schreiners on? If so I would give that a try.

No mountain is too tall to climb if the first step is belief in oneself.
3horses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:51 AM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by horselady View Post
Sounds like she has had a rough start, We had a gelding that was handled everyday and cut his back leg and what a temper tantrum he had, sedation and twitch only annoyed him more, finally it healed to the point that he let us medicate him, one year later would you know cut the same leg, now no way is he letting us treat him, so the vet and I agreed to lay him flat with tranq and for 15 minutes she patched him up, 3 days later the same thing to change the wrap,. by the end of 10 days we were able to dress and undress the wound with no tie or halter.
sooo perhaps the best thing is to do that, or handle her everyday to build trust, proud flesh needs to be cut out, and please do not twitch her, she will probably only panic more.
I thought there were products on the market that would disolve the proud flesh, from what I am reading it takes an acid.. which is why meat tenderizer works.. I will of course consult with the vet tomorrw.. I just don't think at this poitnt it is an emergency.. (to warrant a call on Sunday)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3horses View Post
Can you get close enough to spray Schreiners on? If so I would give that a try.
This was my first thought.. I think she will let me get close enough.. I have hear alot of good things about Shreiners.. will if disolve the proud flesh though?

Oh and it is pretty dirty .. my thought was to spray peroxide on it and let is disolve the blood and gunk the try to hose it off... I want to be sure we are getting to the would and not just treating a scab

Old 01-18-2010, 09:54 AM  
Coming two

There is an aerosol spray called Trypzyme, it attacks the dead tissue. You can get it from your vet. It has worked great for me.
Old 01-18-2010, 10:04 AM  
Long Yearling

I've always used good ole' Wonder Dust ( I believe Farnum makes ) it is in a plastic bottle, and shoots out, ( although not that far, you would still have to be somewhat close ) it is a charcoal type powder, it works well, apply liberally every day, maybe you could rig something to be able to shoot it far enough to get the wound.
ahabarabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:08 AM  
Kid Safe

Note with meat tenderizer - you have to put vaseline on the healthy areas, to prevent the tenderizer from working there, too.

But yes, meat tenderizer works.

We used it on a mare we doctored for the neighbor. Vaseline around the healthy edges where the hairline is, and tenderizer in the developing proud flesh. Then we wrapped the area to keep it clean.

It was pretty extensive work, and not sure you'll get a distrusting horse to allow you to do all of that on a hind without risk of kicking.
Old 01-18-2010, 11:03 AM  
Long Yearling

Ok so maybe the meat tenderizer is not a good idea.. I am not really keen on sticking my head down the area of her back legs at this stage of the game...

I think for starters I am going to try to get cold water on it..see if I can get some of the crusty gunnk off, then try the shreiners.. I know it come is a spray bottle... then go from there..

Old 01-18-2010, 11:36 AM  
Long Yearling

I would tend to work on the mare and her trust issues first. I would keep her in a small paddock or pen and just let her and you get to know each other. If you start trying to restrain her, twitch, tranqualize, and further mentally traumatize her, it will only reinforce her terror of humans. She needs to come to see you as her "goddess of treats and good scratches." Up to now, humans have just meant something to fear and to stay away from.

The proud flesh isn't going to kill her and she had already been dealing with it for a while. Now is your chance to spend the time that she needs to find out humans are a good deal.

If she were mine... that is exactly what I would do with her. I have dealt with this type of fear and terror before. It just takes the time it takes. Don't worry about the proud flash, she has bigger problems.

Bless your heart for caring enough to take her.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:30 PM  
Started

Send a message via Yahoo to Druydess
Shreiner's is the best. It'll treat proud flesh, and you don't have to get that close..
Druydess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 12:37 PM  
Kid Safe

Wonder Dust

"Animals are such agreeable friends--they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms..." --George Eliot

In Loving Memory of Spikey...My Best Friend...I Miss You RIP 1988-2009
kanoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:15 PM  
Kid Safe

We've used Schreiner's here (and I LOVE love LOVE it!) - but I thought it was to prevent proud flesh, not treat/remove it once it starts forming?

Regardless, I know they make it in a spray, or, if your aim is good, you can syringe some up, and shoot it in a stream directly at the wound - Syringe shooting might actually direct it to a more pin pointed aim.

Just remember, there's alcohol in it, and if you've never felt it on your own open wounds, it burns...

Another concern - what is this mare going to do with the sound/feel of a spray, let alone one that burns - and how will it effect her future with things like fly spray?
Old 01-18-2010, 01:25 PM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Danielson View Post
I would tend to work on the mare and her trust issues first. I would keep her in a small paddock or pen and just let her and you get to know each other. If you start trying to restrain her, twitch, tranqualize, and further mentally traumatize her, it will only reinforce her terror of humans. She needs to come to see you as her "goddess of treats and good scratches." Up to now, humans have just meant something to fear and to stay away from.

The proud flesh isn't going to kill her and she had already been dealing with it for a while. Now is your chance to spend the time that she needs to find out humans are a good deal.

If she were mine... that is exactly what I would do with her. I have dealt with this type of fear and terror before. It just takes the time it takes. Don't worry about the proud flash, she has bigger problems.

Bless your heart for caring enough to take her.
I had this thought myself.. at this point the damage is done.. she is in a 12 by 24 paddock and after seeing her this morning I am thinking that may be the way to go.. she will take hat from my hand but really could care less about being touched..

Old 01-18-2010, 01:50 PM  
Started

I use pickling lime instead of wonder dust. It has the same amount of lime but I feel better about something that is consumable to humans. You buy it at the canning section in any grocery store. You don't have to get to close as you grab a handful and throw it on the wound.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Ferronsgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:54 PM  
Started

Send a message via AIM to Linebacker55
There is a product called Prouds Off that we have used in the past, but you have to put it directly on the wound.

What about Granulex?
AQHA/ABRA/IBHA
Linebacker55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 03:05 PM  
Started

I think I've still got a can of "caustic powder" in the tack room! You can use anything that will "burn off" the proud flesh. Lime and the caustic powder and wonder dust are alkaline, not acid. But they burn! And keeping the clean, healthy tissue covered with vaseline is good, too.

Working with the trust issues and getting this mare to the point where you can handle her safely is more important than treating the proud flesh.

Let me say that again:

WORKING WITH THE TRUST ISSUES AND GETTING THIS MARE TO THE POINT WHERE YOU CAN HANDLE HER SAFELY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN TREATING THE PROUD FLESH.

The proud flesh will still be there, and you can't fix it over night. This requires repeated handling and treatment, and yes, probably up close, standing on your head, with your head between her hocks.

I think standing back from her and squirting something that is going to sting or burn on her leg is going to be counter-productive.

You may need to sedate her, and get a vet to scrape or excise the proud flesh before you begin treatment. But WORKING WITH THE TRUST ISSUES AND GETTING THIS MARE TO THE POINT WHERE YOU CAN HANDLE HER SAFELY IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN TREATING THE PROUD FLESH.
theoldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:30 PM  
Kid Safe

I totally agree with The Old bear....You need to get this horse so you can handle her first...the work on the proud flesh, it has been there this long, it can wait a little longer. If you go squirting stuff on it and slapping things at her that hurt her, you are going to really mess up her mind beyond repair......

"Animals are such agreeable friends--they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms..." --George Eliot

In Loving Memory of Spikey...My Best Friend...I Miss You RIP 1988-2009
kanoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:48 PM  
Started

Send a message via Yahoo to Druydess
Quote:
Originally Posted by muttduck View Post
We've used Schreiner's here (and I LOVE love LOVE it!) - but I thought it was to prevent proud flesh, not treat/remove it once it starts forming?

Regardless, I know they make it in a spray, or, if your aim is good, you can syringe some up, and shoot it in a stream directly at the wound - Syringe shooting might actually direct it to a more pin pointed aim.

Just remember, there's alcohol in it, and if you've never felt it on your own open wounds, it burns...

Another concern - what is this mare going to do with the sound/feel of a spray, let alone one that burns - and how will it effect her future with things like fly spray?
One of my horses started to get some proud flesh and Schreiner's got rid of it....don't know whether it's supposed to, but it got rid of it...
Love the stuff..
Druydess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:19 AM  
Weanling Member

I personally would work on the trust issues first then once you have accomplished that work on removing the proud flesh. It's obviously been there sometime in order for it to be proud flesh so why not a little longer.
Proudsoff works wonders, can be hard to find and a little pricey but mixing meat tenderizer with betadine will accomplish the same affect. We've used it for years - just mix the tenderizer into the betadine until it forms a paste and apply - remove with a soft cloth and warm water everyday and reapply.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:46 AM  
Newborn Member

Proud Flesh

Adolph Meat tenderizer is great to remove proud flesh. Have been in horses most of my life, show extensively and have used this several times over the years. Cheap and effective. Hope it helps you out.
Pintopal is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition