Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2009, 12:45 PM  
Halter broke

Question Have you fed Alfalfa oat hay to your horses?

I just got lined up for the winter with alfalfa oat hay very good hay keeps them full and nice during the cold winter.
But I was wondering if any of you fed it because a few of my horse's have loose stool with it.

They are still eating it and drinking normal but don't have very formed stools. I was wondering if any of you had this problem and if it pass's or to feed them in a feeder so they don't try to get the oats out of the mud or any advice. I have never tried this hay before but really like it. And so do they.
Thank you.
Goforcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:26 PM  
Seasoned

Do you mean alfalfa hay mixed with oat straw in one bale?
Red Gate Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:06 PM  
Long Yearling

I think she means alfalfa with the oat hay mixed in.. it is cut and baled with the heads of oat still on and while the plant is still green.. kind of like grass hay.. Oat straw is a by product of an oat crop that is cut and baled after it is dried out standing and the oats heads are removed ..

My experience with oat hay rather straight or mixed is loose stools.. It's really not a very good horse hay. meant more for cows.. It is high in fiber and not a lot of nutrional value except for the oat heads..

ranchers in my area will feed oat hay to thier cows during the winter to help the animals keep warm..

Quality Peformance horses with foundation breeding
http://blackcanyonpaints.webs.com/
CowhorseGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:41 PM  
Started

Sometimes horses that are not use to getting Alfalfa will have loose stools for a few days too.

It should pass. However, keep an eye on them nd make sure they are drinking plenty of water. If you can put some Electrolyes in the water just in case...

~ My treasures do not clink together nor glitter, they gleam in the sun and neigh in the night ~
Rocking Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:41 PM  
Coming two

I'm confused on how you can grow oat and alfalfa in the same field?

We feed oat hay to our horses, usually in the morning and alfalfa at night, when they are not on pasture.

https://www.facebook.com/CrownMaxLonghorn
Arabx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 10:02 AM  
Coming two

Oh.... The fields I've seen the alfalfa is irrigated and the oats aren't. I would love to find an oat/alfalfa hay as you've described with just a bit of alfalfa. I like oat hay, we've got a batch now that is wonderful and full of oats. We have cows and horses, our horses are hardy and are not picky.

https://www.facebook.com/CrownMaxLonghorn
Arabx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 07:34 PM  
Halter broke

The guy I get it from; all his clients are for horses, It is what you are describing with the green oat heads and a little bit of alfalfa and also some grass to, The horses love it and we just had below zero last week and they stayed warm and even left some and went to sleep as they do now. We feed them twice a day with free choice water and salt and mineral blocks so they don't just chow down all the time on it. And they are putting on weight with it as I was feeding Bluegrass and it was not working to keep them trim and full, So I went to this hay.
But they have been on this hay for about a month and just started showing loose stools. So is that still normal>?
Is there a grocery brand of electro's that I can get? What about a cheaper brand of the Sand Clear I read on here, Metamucil I think; how does that work? Would that help?
Goforcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2009, 08:07 PM  
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowhorseGal View Post
I think she means alfalfa with the oat hay mixed in.. it is cut and baled with the heads of oat still on and while the plant is still green.. kind of like grass hay.. Oat straw is a by product of an oat crop that is cut and baled after it is dried out standing and the oats heads are removed ..

My experience with oat hay rather straight or mixed is loose stools.. It's really not a very good horse hay. meant more for cows.. It is high in fiber and not a lot of nutrional value except for the oat heads..

ranchers in my area will feed oat hay to thier cows during the winter to help the animals keep warm..
Ahh thanks I think they call that "green feed" around my area and if not baled right, it ferments or keeps working and becomes useless for feed.
Red Gate Farm is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition