Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2009, 02:28 PM  
Newborn Member

Colic? Cramp? Secum impaction??? some one help

Last night I went out to find my horse lunging her self the other horses were laying down. I went out to stop her because we have a neighbor that rides the alleys at night and that sometimes gets her going. When I got her into her stall her right side was sucked up at her flank and twitching severly. She was also holding her right leg up. Imidiately called the vet infear of sever colic or worse. I gave her bute and benedryl incase she had gotten bit my something. after ten minutes of letting her just stand she wanted to eat and took a large drink. For about fourty minutes her side stayed that way the swelling and sucked up look started to come down and slowly the twitching went away. Is it possible for horses to get a bad cramp or has this every happend to someone else?? She never wanted to roll or act colic like! Thank god because I have lost 3 horses to colic this year.
Dannersd514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 03:10 PM  
Started

You said you called the vet....what did he say/do???
Im glad to hear she is doing better...but I would def get her checked out anyway
She could have pulled something while she was running...hard to say what exactly happened...it is possible for horses to get cramps/muscle spasms. How old is the horse? Make sure she is getting extra water intake as this can sometimes cause muscle spasms or so I have heard.
Old 10-16-2009, 04:11 PM  
Bombproof Member

She might have been 'Tying up'??
What did your vet think was going on??
Glad she's feeling better.
redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:50 AM  
Kid Safe

Is it possible that someone nearby is feeding your horses something inappropriate?
(Like a little kid, sharing a bunch of apples or something - or someone else sharing something not so innocent?)

Is it possible that you have poisonous weeds or trees in the pasture where the horses are?

Is the pasture very grassy, or mostly dirt? Is it possible the horses are taking in a lot of sand while trying to eat?

It concerns me that you've lost multiple horses, and are having an issue now that is not easily explained. I would most definitely keep a vet's number on speed dial.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:00 AM  
Seasoned

I have to agree with MDuck on this -- three losses due to colic makes one wonder why.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:08 AM  
Newborn Member

Ozzi Update

she is still doing ok. The first horse we lost was due to strangulating lympomas that killed her small intestines the second I have not idea why she colic and died and the third was a baby and the people we were buying it from said it got sick and they put it down.. dont know the real reason. and they are in a grass pasture and large arena, the vet said it could have been gas in her secum, a cramp, or small impaction? we did not know! she has been doing ok and acting like her self but I wanted to get every ones thoughts if it had happend to them!! Horses do such strange things.
Dannersd514 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition