Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-2009, 10:08 PM  
Long Yearling

Really Sweaty Horse

So my sorrel mare sweats...ALOT. Granted it's been hot here---but she's just standing in the pasture and she looks soaked. There is shade, fresh & clean water, and free choice salt/mineral block. Maybe I notice it more b/c she's solid and the others are paints-the others just don't seem to sweat as much. I mean she looks soaked...sometimes it looks worse than others...but today she looked like I literally soaked her with the hose all on her neck, chest, and around her face.

I'm kinda worried and plan on talking to the vet about it when he's here to geld Ozzy...is there a specific test I should ask for, what comes to mind to you for something like this, anyone have a horse that does this as well?

Could it be something I'm feeding her? Could it just be the way she is? I don't notice her drinking an overabundance of water or anything.

~~"All that we love deeply becomes part of us" ~~
Helen Keller
Horsie Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:15 PM  
Long Yearling

You should be praising the Lord that she's sweating like that lol! J/k, mine stopped sweating, so I'm on the other end of the spectrum of worrying.

Definitely check with the vet, but how is her water consumption? Some horses are just gross sweaters, some don't sweat enough, others are middling. Kinda like people. As far as I know, sweating is a good thing, especially with how awfully hot it's been the past week or so.

I have noticed that my paint really doesn't sweat as much as my bay horse, but he also has a much thinner coat and just seems to deal with the heat better in general.
bubbleslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:20 PM  
Kid Safe

Do Florida horses get any kind of winter coat? Mine vary in how much they get. My Morgan mare gets hers early and heavy, so she is either really prepared for a cold snap, or very sweaty if we have a late warm spell. Then she sheds it pretty quickly in the spring too.
Maybe yours has just enough thicker of a coat than the others to cause more sweatiness.
singing tree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:39 PM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by singing tree View Post
Do Florida horses get any kind of winter coat? Mine vary in how much they get. My Morgan mare gets hers early and heavy, so she is either really prepared for a cold snap, or very sweaty if we have a late warm spell. Then she sheds it pretty quickly in the spring too.
Maybe yours has just enough thicker of a coat than the others to cause more sweatiness.
Yes, some horses down here are geographically confused and grow thick winter coats way too early. And then overheat because there's a 100* heat index. Sigh...
bubbleslove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:40 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via AIM to Crookedblaze
My gelding Rocket sweats profusely.

It looks like I abuse him I rode him so hard, when he's just sitting in his stall. He's just gross and sweaty. Always been that way. My vet says he's just that way, it's not because he's out of shape or dehydrated.

You just gotta rinse em off more. And wash your tack more OMG my saddle pad gets so grody after a week worth of riding and no washing. I take it to the car wash and powerwash that baby.

Four things greater than all things are...Women and Horses and Power and War -Rudyard Kipling
Crookedblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 08:59 AM  
Long Yearling

Thank you guys so much for easing some of my concerns. I'll still check with the vet but at least knowing I'm not the only one with a sweathog out there does make me worry less.

I can just imagine the looks I'm gonna get when I do start riding her! Geez she sweats like there is no 2-morrow when she's just standing still-I can't imagine what it's going to be like when she's actually moving!

Has anyone found horses like this are harder to keep weight on? Should I take all the sweat feed/textured feed from her diet?

~~"All that we love deeply becomes part of us" ~~
Helen Keller
Horsie Michelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:10 AM  
Newborn Member

Send a message via Yahoo to JenandSundance
Sweating and Sorrel

The first thing I thought before I even clicked the link when I read the title was "I bet this is a sorrel horse" and sure enough, I was right.
I have no scientific proof, just my own experience, but sorrel horses sweat more. I dont know if it is genetics, or that it shows more on their color, but every sorrel horse I have owned, that friends have owned, that I see on the numerous trails and camps that I frequent, even the barns I work in, are always the ones that sweat the most.
Like I said, I have no proof, but from experience, sorrel horses are always the sweaty ones. I dont know what it is, but it has never effected any of the sorrel horses I have ever known in a negative way. It never hurts to ask a vet, but I wouldnt go as far as paying for testing just to find out that "yep, your horse sweats". Its not a bad thing, just a little annoying at times, I have many pairs of horse sweat stained jeans from my boy Red. lol
Old 10-09-2009, 09:20 AM  
Yearling Member

We're here in NW Fl. and we've got sweaty down to an art!! Yep, two sorrels, one a Belgian/QH cross and the other a QH/Arab cross, the Appy sweats pretty good , too, but the sorrels are super-sweaters!! I'm glad of it,and just hose them off,.Remember when you hose them off to scrape them , too, cause when they're hot and you hit them with cold water, the water gets hot , too. Leaving the excess water on them will just keep them hot. As far as the winter coats to, they're all from Canada originally and are environmentally challenged as far as growing heavy coats. The first real cool snap we have (probably won't be till Jan!!!), they'll be furballs that morning and sweating that afternoon!!!! I guess not knowing any different for us makes it no big deal. We use electrolytes year round here to keep them drinking, too.
Old 10-09-2009, 10:18 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via AIM to Crookedblaze
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenandSundance View Post
The first thing I thought before I even clicked the link when I read the title was "I bet this is a sorrel horse" and sure enough, I was right.
My guy is sorrel too!! I have owned a lot of sorrels, and they have all been sweatfactories now that I think about it...

you're onto something

Four things greater than all things are...Women and Horses and Power and War -Rudyard Kipling
Crookedblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:34 AM  
Halter broke

wow same thing with my red mare she is soaked from her head down to her but and my palomino and bay are just a little sweaty on there neck thats a really weird thing but true
dreamen_big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 10:35 AM  
Halter broke

Sweating and Sweet feed?

This spring, one of my neighbors said that Sweet feed will make a horse sweat, so they switch to pellets for the summer. I've never heard of this (I moved to SC from PA).

While I didn't experiment on this, my yearling gets just sweet feed while the other two get a mix of that and pellets...she sweets A LOT, BUT, she's also very dark (going grey) with a VERY thick mane (that I have to keep braided when over 80degrees). My paint (chestnut) also sweats more, but I atributed that to her being a paint and having thicker skin than the arabs.
IdelleArab is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition