Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2009, 02:16 PM  
Started

Horse Becoming Cast in Stall

My blind foal became cast in her stall 4 times this weekend. She goes out during the day and comes in at night to her stall. It is a large 12x24 stall for her and she likes to sleep in one corner and beside one wall. Luckily we are out a couple times during the evening and my boarders will alert me too if they catch her down as well. Is there anything I can do to prevent her from becoming cast?
Old 09-21-2009, 02:24 PM  
Halter broke

casting

I thought I had read somewhere about positioning some rubber tires by the wall. I cannot remember if you would attach them to the wall or on the stall floor. I would think either would work just to keep her/him away from the wall and they should not harm the horse.

LS
Scouts Willows Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 02:27 PM  
Started

I read about anti casting rubber strips but my stalls are metal so this would not be an easy option to install. Plus I would assume the strips would have to be moved once she gets bigger
Old 09-21-2009, 03:05 PM  
Pasture Pet

Is it possible to pile great big piles of hay or straw in the corner, and a foal alert on her that if she goes down and applies pressure (like a mare foaling) it would sound an alarm inside the house.
Either that or perhaps a holding area outside with a companion horse?
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:13 PM  
Weanling Member

Try banking the corner and the stall wall up with shavings or sawdust. It might be enough to keep her from the wall.

You mention that your stalls are metal? Would there be any way to line the walls with some thing that would allow her to get a grip with her hooves if she gets up against them?

I wonder if rubber stall mats would even be enough to help her get a grip on the wall to push herself away.

Only other thing would be an anti-casting roller/ surcingle.
little_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 03:16 PM  
Started

Someone from the blind horse group suggested spraying the walls with that black rubber undercoating to give her some grip. I could bank the stall walls or would slanting maybe a half a sheet of plywood or a 2x12 along the wall work maybe?
They also suggested that this would possibly go away with time as she got older.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:18 PM  
Bombproof Member

We dealt with a similar situation years ago. We wound up piling shavings up against the walls, lower in the center, which caused the horse to naturally roll towards the center. Simple enough, and it may help. Poor baby!
Old 09-21-2009, 04:54 PM  
Started

I will try that first, simple enough. I am going to start calling her Pancake since I keep having to flip her
Lucky she trusts me enough now that she just lays there and when I come in and start talking to her she starts talking back.
And apparently I talk to her in my sleep too, or at least my husband says I do. I think he is fibbing!
Old 09-21-2009, 07:38 PM  
Kid Safe

Is there anyway to sheath the stall walls? I worry about her putting a foot through them. I attached plywood to my supports to sheath the walls.

I also had a BIG horse that cast himself a lot. I banked the heck out of the wall where he did it most with shavings (and they had to be "used" shavings - too much poof to the fresh ones), then made the center lower. Seemed to work. Just like the above poster!

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:00 PM  
Yearling Member

That poor baby. She is so lucky to have found you. I hope you find a solution that works for her.
Dream Ponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 08:01 PM  
Bombproof Member

There is an anticast belly band altho size may be a problem. It has two hand-sized steel hoops set one on each side. When the horse tries to roll these make it uncomfortable and he stops. A belly band from a mini harness may do the same thing as the rein rings may prevent rolling.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 12:02 AM  
Long Yearling

Here is what I have seen placed in stalls. they are called anti-cast strips. Poor baby... so glad you were there.

http://www.northcoastmarines.com/anti_cast.htm
Old 09-22-2009, 01:09 AM  
Coming two

Send a message via AIM to Rafflesgirl
You could also line the stalls with bales of straw, this has worked for me for an old horse who would get cast, she could push off on the straw bale for traction. This might work for a blind horse.
Old 09-22-2009, 09:03 AM  
Weanling Member

This might sound crazy as I am learning alot from everyone here on HT however, What is Casting????
stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 09:09 AM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Paints N Arabs View Post
Someone from the blind horse group suggested spraying the walls with that black rubber undercoating to give her some grip. I could bank the stall walls or would slanting maybe a half a sheet of plywood or a 2x12 along the wall work maybe?
They also suggested that this would possibly go away with time as she got older.

Blind horse group???? Please tell me more... I could use their wisdom and support...
Old 09-22-2009, 10:51 AM  
Coming two

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardust View Post
This might sound crazy as I am learning alot from everyone here on HT however, What is Casting????
When a horse is cast, it is too close to the stall walls to be able to get its legs under it to stand up...usually happens when a horse rolls, and its legs come down too close to the wall...they sometimes are propped up on their side and unable to even roll back the other way...it is very scary for them and they will try to right themselves, even to the point of hurting themselves...
candy4legs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 11:18 AM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gramma Sassy View Post
Blind horse group???? Please tell me more... I could use their wisdom and support...
It is a group on yahoo.
Blind-Horses2@yahoogroups.com

Quite a few people on there that have horses that were either born with limited sight or most that were sighted then lost their eyesight for one reason or another. They are very nice and willing to share their wisdom and knowledge. Much like here!

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition