Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2009, 10:53 AM  
Started

Send a message via MSN to DustyTrailsHorseRescue
Penile cancer

Our old boy Hopper has a growth on the tip of his penis and we sent a piece in to the lab. We don't know for sure what it is yet but are suspecting it to be penile cancer. He is Over 30 and a happy boy, besides being deaf and his vision is getting a little worse. He depends on mush everything (senior and alfalfa cubes).

Does anyone have any info on this desease? We were told we could try to freeze it and see if that helps. It doesn't seem to bother him (yet).

Thanks for any info!

Here is our sweet old boy:

Old 08-14-2009, 12:03 PM  
Kid Safe

Prayers for your old boy, Dusty...and for you!
Old 08-14-2009, 03:36 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Sending prayers your way----he looks like a good old boy.

Peace!! I wish the people of the world could get along as well as the animals in my backyard.
crittermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:47 PM  
Long Yearling

Aw, how sweet, poor guy....I had a neighbor, that froze a piece on a stallion, I heard she had great results, but however in the long run, it did come back..good luck
Old 08-14-2009, 04:26 PM  
Started

Had a surgical procedure done on my old gelding to remove a squamous cell carcinoma. A year or two later, we had another type of cancer (hemangionoma, maybe?) occur on the opposite side of his penis. The surgical incision never healed, he developed incredible swelling, and we had to euthanize him. But he was 25. We gained a couple of good years. The week before his final surgery, I was ponying a horse on him. And I am glad we did the first surgery.
theoldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 04:41 PM  
Pasture Pet

Speaking from a general biological point standpoint and no specific information on equine penile cancer:
My concern would be does the rate of cancer growth have a negative impact on the horse's ability to function. If the growth rate is slow and doesn't overtly negatively impact the horse, then I wouldn't let the term "cancer" upset me too much.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:50 PM  
Pasture Pet

Dusty PM Luvrdn. She is dealing with a horse that has tumors on his sheath and other places. She probably has alot of info.

Praying for Hopper, I hope that he will be ok. Cryosurgery or kryo not sure of the spelling will freeze the cancer cells that are in it. Depending on if it has spread or not any further. It should be pretty painless other than slight discomfort.
Old 08-14-2009, 09:09 PM  
Pasture Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameo05 View Post
Praying for Hopper, I hope that he will be ok. Cryosurgery or kryo not sure of the spelling will freeze the cancer cells that are in it. Depending on if it has spread or not any further. It should be pretty painless other than slight discomfort.
She says without benefit of actually having a penis
I trust that Dusty is in close communication with her vet, I only wanted to comfort her with what little I knew. "Cryo", although a 'k' makes more sense for the pronunciation, but that's English for ya

If only folks like Dusty had bank accounts as large as their hearts
Old 08-14-2009, 10:03 PM  
Started

Thanks for the info, yes still hunting for a huge bank account . We have to wait to find out what it is. It doesn't bother him right now. The vet said we can try to freeze and she did it before but it came back. Comfort is priority and Hopper isn't a spring chicken anymore.

I never thought rescuing horses requires me to become DVM .
Old 08-15-2009, 01:51 AM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HorseLovinLady
Prayers for Hopper. (((((Hugs)))) to you.
Old 08-15-2009, 06:43 AM  
Pasture Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyTrailsHorseRescue View Post
Thanks for the info, yes still hunting for a huge bank account . We have to wait to find out what it is. It doesn't bother him right now. The vet said we can try to freeze and she did it before but it came back. Comfort is priority and Hopper isn't a spring chicken anymore.

I never thought rescuing horses requires me to become DVM .
Or at least be able to pay for one
Sending out healthy and happy pee pee prayers for Hopper
Old 08-15-2009, 06:47 AM  
Started

Here's more prayers for Hopper - he certainly looks healthy otherwise. Grand ole boy!!!
Stormy's Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 08:44 AM  
Seasoned

We had a gelding with suspected penile cancer. He had califlower like bumps on the end of his penis. The vet said we could biopsy it and then freeze it off if it was found to be cancerous, but said that the biopsy could often speed up the growth -- and freezing could actually do the same thing as it often comes back with a vengence. She told me to keep it clean and if it was not causing him discomfort to leave it alone. He has been fine for 5 years and he's now 25.
Old 08-15-2009, 09:14 AM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishing_trex View Post
We had a gelding with suspected penile cancer. He had califlower like bumps on the end of his penis. The vet said we could biopsy it and then freeze it off if it was found to be cancerous, but said that the biopsy could often speed up the growth -- and freezing could actually do the same thing as it often comes back with a vengence. She told me to keep it clean and if it was not causing him discomfort to leave it alone. He has been fine for 5 years and he's now 25.

That's interesting! What I'm affraid of is that "it" grows pretty fast already.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:31 AM  
Seasoned

Quote:
That's interesting! What I'm affraid of is that "it" grows pretty fast already.
Then that's certainly a concern. My vet also said cutting off the penis (phallectomy) is an option for horses with pain and fast cancer growth. The surgery is actually quite simple, and the horses she knows that have had them done have come through with flying colors. Whether or not this surgery is successful depends on the type of cancer and whether or not it has metastasized.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:47 AM  
Newborn Member

my friends horse had that but his vet diagnosed it as a summer sore. so they treated it like a summer sore, washed it everyday and put some "special" ointment on it (who knows what ointments that vet made up usually didnt have labels and you didnt get a reciept for what it was). a few weeks later his penis swelled up really bad and they took him into a different vet and the vet told them it was cancer and the best thing to do was to put him down because it had gotten to his organs and he wasnt going to live long anyways. that horse had so many problems (cushings, tumor in his eye, tumor in his mouth and tumor on his penis) but he was just one happy old man. i think he was about 25 when they put him down.
bluemoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 11:32 AM  
Pasture Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoose View Post
my friends horse had that but his vet diagnosed it as a summer sore. so they treated it like a summer sore, washed it everyday and put some "special" ointment on it (who knows what ointments that vet made up usually didnt have labels and you didnt get a reciept for what it was). a few weeks later his penis swelled up really bad and they took him into a different vet and the vet told them it was cancer and the best thing to do was to put him down because it had gotten to his organs and he wasnt going to live long anyways. that horse had so many problems (cushings, tumor in his eye, tumor in his mouth and tumor on his penis) but he was just one happy old man. i think he was about 25 when they put him down.
It reassures me to know that animals don't think of their "predicaments" in the same way we do. They are so much better at being happy than I'll ever hope to be
Old 08-15-2009, 08:34 PM  
Started

Hopper's heart isn't that strong anymore so I think doing surgery would be too much for him. Why can't they live forever?
Old 08-15-2009, 10:43 PM  
Pasture Pet

Because if they lived forever then how would you take care of them?
Think of it this way, to the horse, he is living for forever
Old 08-16-2009, 09:21 AM  
Seasoned

Quote:
Hopper's heart isn't that strong anymore so I think doing surgery would be too much for him. Why can't they live forever?
As Version said, if they did, they we'd worry who was going to care for them like we did when we were ready to pass on...

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition