Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2009, 03:10 PM  
Weanling Member

Exclamation *Update* runny nasal discharge...

Ok my big boy, Zero developed a fever, snotty nose & cough. So on the 19th I had the vet out. He gave me an oral antibiotic to give Zero 2x day. for 5 days.

His fever broke after about 12 hrs, and his appetite was fully back in 24 hrs, he has been eating great since then. But now he has a very watery & runny **bright yellowish/orange** discharge, *Right nostril only* No cough or fever and eating great, but His lymph nodes are swollen.

I'm almost suspecting strangles, but the vet diagnosed him with an URI. He was closed today but I will call in the am for his opinion.

Any ideas or suggestions?

**My other horse, Glory (the 2 yo) , had a slight runny nose on the 19th, the vet looked at her, her temp was fine etc. and she has no symptoms at all**

Last edited by MsNickie : 05-28-2009 at 05:56 PM.
MsNickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 03:47 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
5 days seems pretty short for a good round of antibiotics. Usually it's 7-10 days or at least a couple of days after all symptoms are gone.

If it is strangles then you definitely don't want to stop the antibiotics now until he's gone through the stages.

It could just be a URI but with the swollen glands I would almost suspect strangles.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:02 PM  
Weanling Member

See I thought 5 days was short too, I'm gonna give the vet a call in the AM and see if I can pick up some more antibiotics and see what he thinks.

** I'm PRAYING that its not strangles!**
Old 05-27-2009, 05:41 PM  
Pasture Pet

Were your hoses exposed to outside horses somehow to get strangles.?
Hopefully your boy gets better soon, Probably just a cold.
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:42 PM  
Seasoned

You don't normally give anitbiotics to a horse with strangles. It can make it turn in to ba$tard strangles. Strangles has a definate unique disgusting odor...once you smell it you'll never forget it. More of a vanilla pudding color and texture...orange makes me think it's an infection in the sinus and some blood is coming into the mix from the infection.

Your vet will help you best! Good luck
recklesshoundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 05:53 PM  
Coming two

Pepper's nasal discharge was more like tapioca pudding, or cream cheese pie filling...so how's that for your diet?

There was never any bad smell.

She was put on two courses of antibiotics; SMZ's both times, the first for two weeks, the second for six weeks.

She never spiked a fever, lost her appetite, or showed any other symptoms.

And by August she was in Georgia having major surgery to clear out her gutteral pouch because the strangles that had gone undiagnosed for so long had really done a number on her.

Here's the thread with a lot of photos for reference. http://forum.horsetopia.com/health-n...os-posted.html
DappleGrayMyWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 06:20 PM  
Seasoned

Could be a cut/scratch resulting in blood mixed with snot or some other sort of rupture on one side. Drainage from one nostril can also be sinus related (sinus infection for example), tooth problem, tumor in the sinus cavity, abscess, guttural pouch, etc. But an infection usually results in yellow or green discharge; orange would mean bleeding of some sort. Also, infection often results in thick, stinky, discharge, not watery like you have.

Watery might mean you are getting lots of serum (with the blood).
Old 05-27-2009, 06:57 PM  
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DappleGrayMyWay View Post
Pepper's nasal discharge was more like tapioca pudding, or cream cheese pie filling...so how's that for your diet?

There was never any bad smell.

when they pus sacks would rupture on my filly it was such a horrible stench it made me gag!!! You lucked out....trust me ( not with the disease going bad but missing out on the smell!)

My vet said absolutely no antibiotics with the strangles. Poor filly had pus pockets everywhere under her jaw and along her belly and vulva. Vet said is was rare but not unheard of. But it passed but I will remember that smell for ever!
recklesshoundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:15 PM  
Weanling Member

His discharge is not thick at all, he is not acting lethargic. Its more yellow than orange, its like a really bright yellow with a slight orange tint. But his lymph nodes are swollen (thats what made me think strangles)

The other horse is the newbie, we have had her 2 weeks. So she could be the carrier, but she is not sick.

We recently built a new fence and had a lot of work done scooping out dirt of the barn w/a bobcat. The vet thinks the stirring of the dust caused a URI.

So i dunno, I will get pics tomorrow and let y'all know after I talk to the vet.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:56 PM  
Weanling Member

Ok, so today his right nostril has little booger but no drainage and his lymph nodes have decreased in size. No other symptoms & his appetite is fine.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition