Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2009, 05:28 PM  
Halter broke

Hard mobile lump under skin on withers???

Hi, OK so we got the new guy through his strangles, but now he has a new walnut sized lump under the skin on his withers. It is not attached and can be moved around an area about 4 inches long and 2 or 3 inches wide. It doesn't hurt him and he enjoys having it moved around. The farrier was out today and he thinks it might be a worm, but he couldn't remember if it should be removed or if it would reabsorb. The vet was just out for vaccines last week (of course) so I would like to avoid calling him if I can. I did worm with Zimectrin Gold 2 or 3 weeks ago. Any ideas? I have checked out threads on neck threadworms, but no one mentions how big they can be if rolled up, or if they can locate on the top of the withers. There is no itching or missing hair. Thanks
mumzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:41 AM  
Halter broke

Any advice?
mumzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:44 AM  
Kid Safe

My boss has a tb/clyde X. She has a hard lump like the one you described. She has had it biopsied and it's nothing to worry about. She could have it removed but for some reason she hasn't had it removed (I think cuz of risk of infection). Anyways, it's pretty big, 3"X3". It's kind of funny cuz you can make it go over the withers, it's like you never know where you will find it lol. It's gross, but I love moving it around the withers lol. She has had it for years, and causes no problems.
Sirita_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 08:47 AM  

I would still have the vet check it just to make sure it is nothing.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:49 AM  
Started

Sounds like a warble to me. If you "google" warble, you find two definitions. One is for a worm, a fly larva, that is under the skin. This is usually found in cattle or deer. I've never heard of warbles in horses, but that doesn't mean a thing! According to the research I did in about five minutes, injectible ivermectin will kill the warble larvae. But whether oral will or not I can only surmise.

Another definition for a warble is a hard tumor on a horse's back, caused by friction, but this doesn't apply here.

I've seen warbles in deer and in squirrels. The worm will eventually eat its way out through the skin, leaving a wound that can become infected. We don't eat meat from deer or squirrels with warbles.
theoldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 09:13 AM  
Halter broke

Sounds like a sebaceous cyst. I have seen them on all sorts of animals, and my mare has a tiny one on her withers too. My husband even had one removed off his head, lol.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:40 AM  
Yearling Member

Could be a warble or possibly a vaccine reaction?? It shouldn't be a vaccine reaction due to it is suppose to be given IM, but with vet just being out to vaccinate I felt it was worth a mention.

My appy had a "worm" lump on his neck and I can't remember exactly what we did for it. I want to say we did ivermec paste orally once a week for a month. And at one point it was raw on top and I do remember squirting injectable ivermec across the wound once daily until it cleared up. I just don't remember for sure what we did prior to it opening.

When it first came up I thought it was fungal and was applying anti-fungal ointment, but it wasn't clearing it up. It didn't have hair across the top of the lump.

He had that thing for at least 3 months before it finally resolved.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition