Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2009, 08:12 PM  
Yearling Member

Is this selenium toxicity?

Okay so I know in general the normal signs of selenium toxicity. However, our farrier and I were talking on what we saw in the hooves of one of our 2008 foals.

When trimming, the horse in question, we saw something yellowish in color and the tip of the frog was just a touch of yellow to it.

Anyone know if this could be caused by an imbalance or toxicity of selenium? Or does anyone have an idea of what could cause this(like a disease or imbalances of vitamins(which ones)).

Previous history: past winter had a really horrid case of mud fever which in turn caused a ring around his hoof at the time frame of when it happened.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:26 PM  
Kid Safe

All I know about it is what I read in Banker by Dick Francis...but I found this link...
http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/in.../bc/213304.htm
Old 04-16-2009, 08:27 PM  
Bombproof Member

Sound more like an abcess and or infection pocket to me.

However, here is info on Selenium Toxicity:

Symptoms of Selenium Toxicity

Horses suffering from chronic selenium toxicity are said to have "alkali disease." The excess selenium causes the loss of mane and tail, the first indicator that your horse may be suffering. Many horse owners mistakenly label an innocent pasturemate as a tail-chewer when this occurs. However, upon further inspection, hair loss areas appear to have had a set of clippers run over them. A dull coat normally accompanies the hair loss.
Cracking, brittle hooves are another, more severe, sign of toxicity. A horse with this condition needs to see both a veterinarian and experienced farrier as soon as possible. Without treatment, the hoof may slough away from the coronet band and drop, exposing the sensitive laminae to the environment. This causes extreme pain and lameness for the horse. Even with treatment, the horse may be susceptible to abscesses until the new hoof capsule is regrown.
Finally, excessive selenium has been known to cause bone lesions and twisted legs in foals. Acute selenium toxicity, which is rare, may cause the death of the horse when massive amounts of selenium are ingested.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:51 PM  
Yearling Member

I don't think it's fully a selenium toxicity then. Any other ideas?
Old 04-16-2009, 09:04 PM  
Bombproof Member

Pain and or senstivity in that area...abnormal gait, signs of lameness?

Could he have stepped in something of that color and it stained the area?

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition