Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-07-2009, 09:41 AM  
Seasoned

Watery Eyes?

I have a mare that tears constantly; no runny nose, just watery eyes. The vet thought at first it was a summer allergy, either to flies or pollen, but her eyes continued to water after the flies were gone and most allergens were gone from the air. The vet had me put her on benadryl. Her eyes watered all winter. Last month her eyes got puffy, so we put her on prednisone eye drops.

Has anyone had similar problems? Any ideas? This mare is not stalled and spends very little time indoors. I would think an allergy would result in some nasal discharge as well as runny eyes. She was checked for scratches and other eye issues... nothing. It doesn't appear to be dust related, as they tear when it rains or is dry. They water when it windy or still. We're at a loss here...
Old 04-07-2009, 09:59 AM  
Bombproof Member

Red tends to have watery eyes, no nasal discharge, but almost year round.
My farrier attributes it to age.
Its probably been going on for a few years now.
Good luck, and let me know if you figure out what it is.
redboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:03 AM  
Weanling Member

Send a message via AIM to AnaBellesMoM
My mare has had watery eyes lately and the vet told me yesterday it's cause of the flies. Maybe your horse is having the same issue.
AnaBellesMoM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:09 AM  
Yearling Member

It is not uncommon for horses to get blocked tear ducts. I'd discuss this possibility with your vet. It's a simple procedure to flush out the ducts to clear them.
csimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:09 AM  
Started

Did the vet flush out the tear ducts? Sometimes a small piece of dust, grass, hay, etc. gets in the tear ducts and cause the watery eyes.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Ferronsgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:40 AM  
Bombproof Member

My oldest gelding has one watery eye that has developed over the last year or so, but his is typically when it is windy or dry and dusty. I did have others on here recommend having his tear ducts flushed which I am going to discuss with my vet this spring when he is out for vaccinations.

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 11:14 AM  
Kid Safe

I have horses that do this, if a little ointment with dexamethasone in it will not relieve the problem then I have their ducts flushed.

"Animals are such agreeable friends--they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms..." --George Eliot

In Loving Memory of Spikey...My Best Friend...I Miss You RIP 1988-2009
kanoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:37 PM  
Pasture Pet

Yes having tear ducts flushed might be the way to go.
horselady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:31 PM  
kesty6

I've never heard of blocked tear ducts. It sounds like on of my older mares has the same thing.

How does the vet fix blocked tear ducts? How much does it generally cost for the procedure?
Old 04-07-2009, 01:55 PM  
Weanling Member

I've had the same issue going on!!! My 3 mares have had watery eyes, clear, no redness or nasal discharge. I thought it was the hay. When I got different hay, nothing changed and they were very upset with the change in the hay. So I got their usual hay back and they still have the same watery eyes.

I give them feed thru fly stuff, so I don't think it has anything to do w/ the flies.....I think it's the time of the year....lots of pollen.

I Luv my 3 mares-Cheyanne-Palomino Paint, Butters-Sorrel Arabian & Katie Lou-Black AQHA
LuvMyMares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 02:07 PM  
Seasoned

This horse does it summer, fall, winter and spring so I don't think it's pollen. I had not thought of blocked tear ducts... and I'm surprised my vet didn't! Thanks!
Old 04-07-2009, 02:13 PM  
Started

Kesty, the vet takes sterile saline in a syringe and irrigates it through a small hole in their nose. The horse will probably need to be sedated lightly for this. 3 years ago I paid around $40 and $20 0f that was for the vet visit.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Ferronsgranny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 03:14 PM  
Started

My paint has gucky stuff always coming from his eyes too. I've only had him since September but I attributed it to his fair skin (his head is all white). My vet is coming tomorrow for spring shots so I'll add that to the list of questions I have to see what she says.

There's more to life than horses ----- but NOT much!

Valerie62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 04:26 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I have to flush my mares ducts every spring and fall.

Pink Tiger says 'Grrrrrr'
joustinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 09:10 AM  
Seasoned

The prednisone drops seem to be stopping the tearing, so I suspect it isn't blocked ducts (with blocked ducts, don't they tear pretty much all the time?)
Old 04-08-2009, 10:15 AM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishing_trex View Post
The prednisone drops seem to be stopping the tearing, so I suspect it isn't blocked ducts (with blocked ducts, don't they tear pretty much all the time?)
Yes and no. There may be inflammation in the ducts from irritation. The prednisone drops may be decreasing that inflammation enough to allow for drainage. I'd see if the drainage comes back after you've completed the drops. If it doesn't come back, great. If it does come back then you can look into getting them flushed.
csimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:07 AM  
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by csimmons View Post
Yes and no. There may be inflammation in the ducts from irritation. The prednisone drops may be decreasing that inflammation enough to allow for drainage. I'd see if the drainage comes back after you've completed the drops. If it doesn't come back, great. If it does come back then you can look into getting them flushed.
Thanks! The vet suggested I keep her on the drops indefinitely but I really don't want to do that. I'll use for a week or two and then see what happens when we stop.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:27 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Steroids in a horse eye indiffinatly? Hmmm......

Pink Tiger says 'Grrrrrr'
joustinggirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition