Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2009, 06:24 AM  
Newborn Member

Question NEW HORSE - Green thick nasal discharge and dry cough!

Hi everyone! Sorry for skipping the introduction I will hit that forum in a day or two!

We just received 2 new horses last night one of which arrived here with thick green nasal discharge pouring from both nostrils in clumps accompanied by a dry cough.

They were traveling in a trailer for 1.5 days, I have contacted the breeders since I didn't think that an infection would come on so rapidly if something was airborne in the trailer. They assured me he was perfectly healthy when he left and the vet certificate indicated the same. They suggested a traveling sickness???????

We know that when we met their horse they had approximately 6 dry coughing horse in stalls (he was one of them) with the rest out to pasture. The vet was there this day and we assumed this condition would have been corrected in 6 months. Is it possible for something like this to last 6 months???

I have the vets coming out ASAP! and will post the outcome. Just wondering if anyone here had this horrible experience.

Thanks A Bunch for your thoughts and suggestions!
gsdxena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:50 AM  
Weanling Member

It's not likely that something has been going for 6 months.

It is possible that the horse is reacting to dust and debris blown about in the trailer while hauling, but you would be better off to treat them as though they have something contageous until you know better. I would take their temps every morning and evening to monitor for fever too, just so you have the information for your vet when he arrives since fevers can come and go with infectious diseases.
Ryle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:59 PM  
Ike
Yearling Member

I would absolutely keep them away from the other horses until you know for sure what it is.

Really, it sounds like a respitory infection. They are pretty common in horses that travel for long periods of time, even more so if they are tied so they cant put their head down and blow.

Let us know what the vet says.

In just two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday. Plan to make the most of it.
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 09:18 PM  
Started

The folks that had the 6 coughing horses....Were they traders by chance?

There is a trader here locally that normally has a few coughing. He buys alot of sale barn horses and always there is a sick one somewhere. If the horse wasn't sick when he bought it, it is likely that it soon will be after he takes it home. It takes quite a while to get rid of it too. Some of us locally have termed his "sickness" with a name (but I won't post it here). He deals with some cheap horses, but also some really nice ones too. We have gotten a couple horses from him and when we do they are quarantined for a few weeks after they come here. It seems that once the horses leave his place and get away from whatever germ that is causing the cough they get over it, but it does take a couple weeks. I know he has started bleaching everything in his barn trying to get rid of it. His is kind of like a shipping fever or strangles type virus.

Last edited by lopintoo : 03-30-2009 at 09:20 PM.
lopintoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition