Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2009, 12:03 AM  
Halter broke

Omega Horseshine VS. Grand Coat VS. Equi Omega Complex

I will be starting my silver dapple gelding on a coat supplement as he is body clipped prior to shows and his hair regrowth comes in much nicer when fed a supplement. In the past I have fed BOSS and oil to horses for coat, but this horse doesn't need the weight gain from Oil, and I don't like feeding boss due to prior experiences with it. I have narrowed my search down to three products, Omega Horse shine, Grand coat, and Equi Omega complex (by eckele.

Omega Horse shine is Flax based, Grand coat is Flax, Soy, and Rice bran based, and Equi omega is flax, rice bran, and cocosoya.

All are priced relatively close so that's not a deciding factor.
Have you tried any of these products, and if so would you recommend them?
If you were going to choose 1 product, which would it be?
MyDaddysJag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 06:16 AM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDaddysJag View Post

Omega Horse shine is Flax based, Grand coat is Flax, Soy, and Rice bran based, and Equi omega is flax, rice bran, and cocosoya.
If you have a Seminole feed dealer by you, look into switching to their line of feed. All their feed contain flax, rice bran and all the omegas, vitamin and minerals. Outstandling line of feed. I feed the Wellness low starch line and my horses coats and feet are very nice !!! I have a bay/overo and his dapples are gorgeous right now !! My one bag of grain is pricey ($25/50#) but I am feeding a 15.3 qtr ONE cup 2x day and not having to add supplements. Very compact FIXED feed.

A good ole currying also enhances the coat. Stimulates the oils and hair follicles.

If you go to search in green barn across the top and type in Omega Horseshine, it will pull up previous threads on Omega Horseshine and other threads in reference to coats.

Last edited by BarnBum : 03-24-2009 at 07:48 AM.
BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:16 AM  
Long Yearling

Send a message via AIM to PeggySue
Why don't you just get flax seed?? which will give you the shine you are after and it doesn't take much at all
Old 03-24-2009, 07:27 AM  
GV4
Yearling Member

Grand Coat

I have used Grand Coat for several years now and love it. It improves shine, growth, and overall bloom. Good stuff.
GV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 07:39 AM  
Halter broke

The horse is my all arounder who's main purpose in halter, so I dont want to change feeds. His coat is by no means coarse or lacking, but since he is my halter horse, I would like to do all I can to make his dapples POP.
He is currently eating purina strategy.

I wouldn't mind feeding just flaxseed, however I like the benefits of ground flax, and I board my horses. Since I board I am not there at feeding time and am unable to grind the flaxseed fresh for him everyday, therefore it would go rancid. My only option is a stabelized flax product.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:59 AM  
Long Yearling

Flax can be feed whole with the same benefits and you can also get stablized whole flax seeds just have to have them ordered normally
Old 03-24-2009, 10:26 AM  
Long Yearling

http://www.understanding-horse-nutri...flax-seed.html
Old 03-24-2009, 12:15 PM  
Seasoned

I think Omega HorseShine is easier to feed than plain flax since it is stabilized and has a long shelf life -- plus the horses really like it. I use it with my two silver dapples with great results. HOWever, if you have an easy keeper (which it sounds like you do) I would not go the full amount they recommend (I fed 1/4C a day and they got really fat, but in all fairness were not getting ridden like they should have).

I know a woman who raises and shows Mountain horses and has many silver dapples. She swears by Nu-Image. I'll have to say her horses are gorgeous. It's cheaper to feed than the HorseShine (HS is about $0.56 per day; NI about $0.36). Also, now there are some negative things coming out regarding feeding flax to horses (can inhibit iodine uptake for one). I'm considering the switch to NuImage.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:41 PM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishing_trex View Post
Also, now there are some negative things coming out regarding feeding flax to horses (can inhibit iodine uptake for one). I'm considering the switch to NuImage.
do you have link to this imformation, this is first I have heard of it. Granted I don't keep up on flax info too much too busy this time of year
Old 03-24-2009, 12:54 PM  
Seasoned

I use omega shine!!!

Izzy my walking dream!!!
cook1745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:59 PM  
Bombproof Member

I hope you people who are feeding whole flax seed are boiling it first. It contains minute amounts of toxic properties that are neutralized with bringing it to a boil. If you want to know further on boiling flax, pm me as it's a bit tricky.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:53 PM  
Halter broke

Ok, just checked prices for comparison.

Omega Horseshine is $21.75 per 4.5lb bag ($4.80 per lb) serving size 3.6 oz per day
Equi omega complex is $20.85 for a 7.5 lb tub ($2.78 per lb) says 4oz daily
Grand Coat is 5lb for $29.95 ($5.99 per lb) maintenance dose is 2oz a day
Old 03-24-2009, 02:14 PM  
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyDaddysJag View Post
Ok, just checked prices for comparison.

Omega Horseshine is $21.75 per 4.5lb bag ($4.80 per lb) serving size 3.6 oz per day
Equi omega complex is $20.85 for a 7.5 lb tub ($2.78 per lb) says 4oz daily
Grand Coat is 5lb for $29.95 ($5.99 per lb) maintenance dose is 2oz a day
SmartPak has a nice chart:
http://www.smartpakequine.com/skinan...ppcompare.aspx
Old 03-24-2009, 02:17 PM  
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggySue View Post
do you have link to this imformation, this is first I have heard of it. Granted I don't keep up on flax info too much too busy this time of year
GreyDot had some nice info on it:
http://forum.horsetopia.com/1359511-post11.html
Old 03-24-2009, 02:27 PM  
Long Yearling

but where did the info come fron any actual studies ??? I am not finding much of anything searching the reasearch databases covering it
Old 03-24-2009, 04:58 PM  
Halter broke

I have used new image in the past with my palomino, and didn't really see that great of results.
I beleive it is just soy based, so Im thinking that maybe my horses might benefit from a supplement that has soy and flax, or even one that is a mix of soy, flax, and rice bran. In a way I think they may benefit from what each ingredient has to off, on the other hand I think maybe they dont need all of that, if that makes any sense.
Old 03-25-2009, 09:00 AM  
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeggySue View Post
but where did the info come fron any actual studies ??? I am not finding much of anything searching the reasearch databases covering it
Search for flax and goitrogen or goitrogenic. You'll find things like:

http://www.flaxcouncil.ca/english/pd..._4ed_Chpt8.pdf
www.springerlink.com/index/W726705283H27287.pdf (you may not have access to this since I got there via our school web page)

During this reading you should also see that heating flax can help with these problems.

Last edited by fishing_trex : 03-25-2009 at 09:46 AM.
fishing_trex is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition