Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2009, 10:51 AM  
Started

Boarder's horse has lice!!!!

One of my boarder's brought a new horse in last month and she had the vet out to do her shots and the vet says the mare has lice!!

I have 23 horses that have been exposed to this mare!!!

I really am not thrilled with trying to treat the whole herd in this weather not to mention washing blankets, brushes, saddle pads etc!

Anyway with experience with lice in the barn???
Old 02-12-2009, 10:55 AM  
Coming two

sprinkle all the horses with Coral or 7 dust!!! that'll kill the lice. and it's fairly inexpensive. if you treat the dogs it'll kill the fleas on the dogs too. just make sure everybody's careful with handling the animals with the powder in their hair, it's not good to breathe that stuff in. i would think a good cleaning for all your brushes and tack is in order as well....time to get to the spring cleaning a little early!!

horsebabyhehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:00 AM  
pvf
Bombproof Member

Ditto the powder stuff works great and is easy to use.

You will have to clean your brushes ect though.. maybe some of your boarders would like to help you..

www.prairieviewfarms.net Raising Reg. Paints and Quarter horses
pvf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:03 AM  
Seasoned

Man, you've got a lot of work ahead of you. You have to treat every horse and animal with lice powder to get them all.

I would also check blankets and brushes as horsebabyheehee and pvf suggested.

Maybe set up a quarantine spot for new horses to prevent this happening again?
Red Gate Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:05 AM  
Bombproof Member

Sevin Dust on the outside, ivermectin on the inside will take care of those little blood suckers. You can douse your brushes, et al in the Sevin Dust as well. I agree, it sounds like a barn wide project for all to participate in.

I can find it just fine on my own.....
divinemisselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:08 AM  
Started

Oh yuck! I had two old ponies who got it from the barn swallows. The dust worked and we also shaved them and bathed daily but I'm sure currently that's not an option so try the dust. If it makes you feel any better the lice didn't spread to the other ponies for whatever reason. They only preferred the two old ladies. Hopefully that will be the same for your barn too. I would separate if you can the effected horse(s) to better control spread. The owner of the barn I was speaking of refused luckily it didn't go farther than two.

A trick someone told me to protect myself was to wash my hair everyday with bar soap. I can't recall a specific brand but we usually use Dove.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:11 AM  
Started

It is "sevin" dust, and it works!

I had a horse with lice more than 20 years ago. He got them from the chickens that the barn owner let run loose and roost in the rafters. He was the only horse being stalled 24/7 as he was recuperating from surgery, and was the only one of about a dozen that got the lice, but all the others were turned out except at feeding time.

We dusted him, the chickens, all the brushes. Fortunately, we weren't keeping tack in the barn where he was, so that was not a problem.

More than forty years ago had a boarder's mare bring "mites" home. She passed them on to the geldng she was pastured with. Again, sevin dust saved the day.

We've used it in the dog pens to control fleas.

It also keeps insects off the tomato plants in the garden!

We keep a can around just in case.
theoldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:19 AM  
Yearling Member

Lice, IMO is not a big deal. Dust the horses with lice powder, and wash the blankets and pads and on the first warm day, give them a bath and scrub good, and put a cooler on them to dry fast. In my experience, none of my other horses ever got lice from other horses that fast. Like others said, have a cleaning party. Nobody's horse is perfect. IMO. Spring isn't all that far away.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:45 AM  
Pasture Pet

I found out from a friend that lice and ticks are a major problem in the area due to the amount of moose and deer we have in the area. I noticed a couple of my horses rubbing so I wormed and dusted everybody last week just in case (I couldn't see any lice but preventive messures go a long way) and the itching has seemed to have stopped. I also know this is something I need to watch out for in this area.

Night Fire Ranch
Gotta Love Duns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:50 AM  
Started

The vet said she has two other barns dealing with lice in the area.

This mare was separate for the first two weeks she was here but then went out with the herd ~ she is now separated again!!!!

I'm hoping the fact that everyone was blanketed ( including her) limited the exposure?
Old 02-12-2009, 11:55 AM  
Long Yearling

Please consult you vet if you have pregnant mares.. Some meds should not be used on mares in foal.. Lice tend to go to the older and weaker horses..I had that same thing happen to me . Only there were five that came in from the same place. I turned them out then noticed the lice.I brought them in treated them and noone else ever had any problems..

Quality Peformance horses with foundation breeding
http://blackcanyonpaints.webs.com/
CowhorseGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:59 AM  
Started

@#$%&! I have a mare due next month!!!!!

No old or weak horses though.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:10 PM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendra View Post
@#$%&! I have a mare due next month!!!!!

No old or weak horses though.
Ok im going to be the first one to say this..

BE CAREFUL USING SEVIN DUST PLEASE.
KEEP AWAY FROM PREGNANT ANIMALS
DO NOT JUST POUR ON!!!!!!!!

we used the same thing for a horse from auction that had lice and we lost 4 cats bc of it....the cats got really sick and seizured form being exposed to it and had to be euthanized and our dog was seizuring too but is ok now.

SEVIN DUST ISNOT intended for the use on animals!!!!!!
so i just caution you to keep close eye on your animals after using...
my friends mom put seven dust down on her 1yr old dogs bed to kill fleas and killed the dog almost vomtting seizuring, muscle loss etc...
Gids_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:20 PM  
Started

We will be using Dry Kill ~ which is intended for that use.

Thanks for the warning though ~ I appreciated it.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition