Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2009, 03:57 PM  
kesty6

What do you do to keep horse's water from freezing?

I'm just wondering what most people do to keep their horse's water from freezing?
Old 01-16-2009, 04:08 PM  
Started

We have heaters in the water
Old 01-16-2009, 04:11 PM  
Kid Safe

We have a large trough with a water heater. Since they are in seperate fields their individual troughs will sometimes freeze, but the horses are kept in when it's that cold.

The stalls have insulated swing out water buckets, so they usually don't freeze. And if they do it is a very thin layer.

We have one of those non-freezable water pipe thingys that has a backflow thingy to keep water out of the pipe and that doesn't freeze so they get fresh water in their stalls.

Just in case these past few nights I have filled up buckets and put them under a horse blanket to make sure I always had water, even though I could just walk up to the house...

RIP Justin
You stole my heart and for that, I am grateful.
Sirita_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:16 PM  
Bombproof Member

If the water is dumped out as soon as the horse finishes drinking, it soon learns to drink it's fill within a couple of minutes. With this method it's better if you can water twice daily, earlier and later in the day.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 04:20 PM  
Seasoned

Heated water buckets.
recklesshoundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 05:36 PM  
Seasoned

We have a ritchie waterer that has a heater in it. The horses are not stalled, so they can all get to it..if I put one in a stall, then I use heated water buckets.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:05 AM  
Kid Safe

I have one heated water bucket for the dogs and goat in the barn and 3 heaters for the water troughs. The one thing different this years is that I got freezers from the dump instead of the bathtubs I used to have. What a difference, touch wood, I haven't had any issues at all this year with my water

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but becase of the people who do nothing about it.~Albert Einstein
paso_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:56 AM  
Seasoned

Drain plug heater -- had to go this route as my mare kept grabbing the cord for the sinking heater and throwing it around the paddock...

It has helped to cover half the tank with plywood/insulation top and wrap the tank in that silver bubblewrap-looking insulation. Before we did that, when it got down below zero, we could stand there and watch the electric meter on the barn whirl around in circles...
Old 01-17-2009, 07:09 PM  
Seasoned

We get -40 and -50 here in the winters. My trough is a recycled bath tub and we use a submersible heater. It stays clear until Chip gets bored and tries to toss it out. The way we have the cord placed, he cannot get it tossed all the way out of the tub, it falls back in. We're building a cage for it this summer.
Red Gate Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:11 PM  
Started

move to Louisiana

...much better then heading out at dawn with a hammer my job in Massachusetts

k

“Preach the gospel at all times, if necessary use words.”
St Francis
beezwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 07:18 PM  
Long Yearling

Good idea Beezwing! I use a heated water pail too, but when I had more than one horse in the barn I have a 25 gal tub with an automatic waterer in it, to prevent it from freezing I used an anquarium pump and hose, keeping the end of the hose in the bottom blows bubbles up to the service, as long as the water is moving it will not freeze. For bigger tanks you could use a pond pump and gas line hose, works really good! and it's cheaper on the hydro bill !!!
Old 01-17-2009, 08:45 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Finally bought two plug in stock tank heaters. We've been breaking ice and hauling buckets all these years---so excited! The pony has one of those insulated buckets with a float. It doesn't get all that cold where I live, but we are in a deep freeze right now!

Peace!! I wish the people of the world could get along as well as the animals in my backyard.
crittermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:34 PM  
Newborn Member

What brand of drain heaters do you buy? I don't want to buy one that doesn't last very long. We have only had 2 days of frozen water and that was this week.
blue_rose2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 05:39 AM  
Started

Drain plug heater in the stock tank, heated buckets in the barn and an insulator cord wrapped around the water pipe.

We also have a small heater in the pump house and straw bales over the lid going down to the pump house.

We also hae 3 micro heaters in the barn ~ one in th eoffice and two in the aisle ( only when we are there!)

Hydro is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!
Old 01-18-2009, 06:15 AM  
Seasoned

The year before last, I had my hubby make an insulated box that he attached to the outside of the Hay shed, under the lean to. He drilled a hole through the shed and ran a trouble light into the insulated box with a 100 watt light bulb. The box is lined with pink board insulation and painted black on the outside to absorb sunlight. He made enough space for the water tub and the light to fit somewhat snug inside. The lid of the box is made with heavy 2x10 boards, has a hole big enough for the horses to get their heads down into the tub, and the lid is removalable.

This has worked beautifully!! (As long as the bulb doesn't burn out!! )

This box was also worked well for a belly rubbing box when my Haflinger mare was heavy in foal last year!

Photos of when it was under construction:

prancingpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 07:49 PM  
Halter broke

Drain Plug Heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_rose2001 View Post
What brand of drain heaters do you buy? I don't want to buy one that doesn't last very long. We have only had 2 days of frozen water and that was this week.
Got two from Jeffers about 5 years ago - API is the MFG/Distributor. I bought two when they were on sale as I wanted to have an extra at the great price in case first one went bad. The only reason I could get to the brand so quickly is because the "extra one" is still sitting under my desk in the box, never opened yet (knocks wood). I love it and so do the critters especially the donk who will not drink from a trough with ice on it.
ttldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 08:04 PM  
Yearling Member

I have bucket deicers in the stalls and stock tank deicers outside. Still had to carry water from the house this week as the pipe running out to the barn froze and then burst. Big Mess!!!!!!!! Temporally plugged,capped and will be replaced in spring Till then, I lug buckets

Staff to:4 mini friends: "Ginger, Abby, Strawberry and Kodi, and newest member Indy!"
RIP my beautiful girl "Nutmeg" 2005-2011
APHANutmeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 09:26 PM  
Coming two

i've never thought water and electricity were a good combo around my horses (nothing against people who do i just don't like the idea and i can't afford one of those that you bury the line to a tank that's burried that automatically refills itself and never freezes) so i do it the hard way and take out buckets of hot water every morning (actually i make hubby do it carrying water and being 8 months pregnant don't go together either! )

horsebabyhehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:52 AM  
Bombproof Member

We have an old cast iron bathtub. Hubby built an insulated box around it with an insulated cover, and we put a sinking heater in the end that's covered so the horses can't get to it. It works great and doesn't cost an arm and a leg to heat.

Before I got married, we didn't have an insulated tank at home. The horses got all the water they could drink twice a day (as Slim said) and while not ideal, that worked too.

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:58 AM  
Weanling Member

I heard something once (probably on HT) and am meaning to try this. Find a black basketball or other ball and it will float and the water will freeze around it and the horses will learn to roll it aside to drink from the hole. I just havent come across a black ball.
azhorselover is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition