Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2008, 05:45 AM  
Coming two

Send a message via AIM to Jess6092
Equine Senior foods to non senior horses?

Last edited by Jess6092 : 05-18-2012 at 07:27 AM.
Jess6092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 05:49 AM  
Pasture Pet

I feed Triple Crown Senior to my 12 year old horse, he has digestion issues and is prone to colic, and the senior feed is very digestible and like you said, does not get him hot or hyper the way some other feeds do.
Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:00 AM  
Kid Safe

We feed Senior feed to all of our stall bound horses and post surgicl cases.....It is easier to digest and they are less likely to colic on it........

"Animals are such agreeable friends--they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms..." --George Eliot

In Loving Memory of Spikey...My Best Friend...I Miss You RIP 1988-2009
kanoo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:26 AM  
Yearling Member

I'm feeding Equine Senior to my horses in their teens as well as my 19 month old yearling. I was feeding my yearling the Junior feed up until a few months ago when my vet recommended that I switch him to the Senior.
DackelMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 06:26 AM  
Started

All of mine get it and they range in age from 8 months to 27 years.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:49 AM  
Coming two

Send a message via AIM to Jess6092
Thanks for the replies everyone. Glad to know I am not the only one who sees it as a good all around food.
Jess6092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:09 AM  
Seasoned

When I fed feed, I fed Blue Seal Vintage Senior to everyone, 2YO and up. No problems other than they got too fat...
Old 12-31-2008, 07:10 AM  
Weanling Member

I also feed Senior--I have a 2 yr old (who started out on Junior) and a 28 year old. They both get it. My old guy has only coliced once but it was because he did not drink water and got impacted.
texgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:24 AM  
Bombproof Member

My 12 yr old.twh gets hyper on only a cup of oats daily. Not a problem when I switched him to Senior's. It adds a nice bloom to the coat because of the extra oils. I've also noticed an improvement in the hooves of those on Senior's if fed a minimum of 4lbs daily.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 07:30 AM  
Greenbroke Member

I feed Equine Senior to alot of non-senior horses, especially in the winter.
calicocalgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 09:54 AM  
Newborn Member

I want to start feeding it to my 5 yr old that's a hard keeper to see if it helps keeps weight on b/c its easliy digestible.
twobits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:13 AM  
Coming two

I'm not feeding a youngster on it but have started a skinny 25yr old shetland on the Atwood's brand Ranch pro Senior feed .She's doing really well on it and looking more lively every day. From what I could tell from the ingredient label this brand is based off of Alfalfa ,corn and roughage by products and whey(added to aid fermentation). I though some senior feeds were based off of beet pulp? I think Senior feed should be fine for any age group the only discouraging factor is that it's expensive for all around feeding.This one is right under $13 per 40 pound bag.For economic reasons I would not feed it if I didn't have to but it seems like a good choice for an animal that is colic prone,starved down ,post op, or just old.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:43 PM  
Seasoned

Send a message via Yahoo to Diamond_Y
I don't own Twister anymore, but when I did, my vet recommended senior feed because he had a very sensitive stomach. Every feed we tried gave him a tummy ache. He never had a full blown colic, but that was our fear. After every meal, he would bite at his sides. I never thought about senior feed because he was only 4 years old. We switched him and never had another problem.
Diamond_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 10:08 PM  
gmt
Newborn Member

From a nutritionist perspective, Senior feeds are generally good for most anyone. Have to watch the protein/amino acid profile if using it for very young horses to make sure it is enough for proper growth, but other than that shouldn't be anything to worry about. Usually very palatable, too! Only negative really is the price, it's generally more expensive. but, if it works, it's tough to argue!

Gina
gmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:56 PM  
Halter broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmt View Post
From a nutritionist perspective, Senior feeds are generally good for most anyone. Have to watch the protein/amino acid profile if using it for very young horses to make sure it is enough for proper growth, but other than that shouldn't be anything to worry about. Usually very palatable, too! Only negative really is the price, it's generally more expensive. but, if it works, it's tough to argue!

Gina
Completely agree with Gina. I just wouldn't feed it to a young growing horse, but most senior brands normallly have all the goodies in it. My horses range from 6 - 19 and everyone gets it.
mamamia is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > Health & Nutrition