Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2008, 09:54 PM  
Coming two

Branding

I would like to hear everyone's opinions on branding your horse. Has anyone done it? What are the risks? What is good about it?

This is something we have talked about for a little while but can't decide on a yes or no. So, what do think about branding a horse?
Old 11-30-2008, 10:00 PM  
Pasture Pet

PCC & I have freeze branded our three oldest and will be doing Mo & Belle next year. I would personally reccomend it because the are highly visable and trackable. We had no complications with the three that we did this year and you just let them heal naturally.

Night Fire Ranch
Gotta Love Duns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:03 PM  
Pasture Pet

Here is a link to my photo album it has step by step pictures of the process.

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p...aqha/Branding/

Night Fire Ranch
Old 11-30-2008, 10:11 PM  
Coming two

Thank you GLD! So how long did it take to heal? We are thinking about doing Doc now and the yearlings later on. It wasn't something we thought about with the paints but now that we're in the quarters it keeps coming up in the conversation.

How did you decide on your brand?
Old 11-30-2008, 10:25 PM  
Pasture Pet

Well in Alberta you have to register a brand and buy it. My husband is a brand inspector so knowing the laws are a bit easier... but there is a list of available brands and we chose one of them. LIS then mails us out a certificate saying that we own that brand and if any of our horses ever get stolen or lost and end up at an auction mart or called in as a stray they will be traced back to us.

We branded them around the end of July and they where completely healed by September. There where no more scars and the white hair had started to grow in. If you want tomorrow I can go get a picture of the finished product for you.

Night Fire Ranch
Old 11-30-2008, 10:27 PM  
Pasture Pet

Oh and our farm name is Night Fire Ranch so having half diamond N monogrammed F worked out perfect for us!

Night Fire Ranch
Old 11-30-2008, 11:24 PM  
Weanling Member

imo.. if you are in an high risk area where horses are being stolen than I think its a good idea. other than that whats the use?..would micro chipping be an option?
myboyjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 03:55 AM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyjake View Post
imo.. if you are in an high risk area where horses are being stolen than I think its a good idea. other than that whats the use?..would micro chipping be an option?
Since the horse theft is/was on the increase, I thought about the freeze branding option w/ my 2 horses. It is very visable and you can't cover it up. Do you know how many bay overo geldings are out there that look like my gelding !! ALOT !! This freeze brand will make him stick out !!! There are the freeze brands where they put under their mane and then you have the kind that GLD has on their hip.

My horses are microchipped, but doesn't do me (or them) any good if they are not scanned. They are not visable like a freeze brand. I had heard that auction and slaughter hourses are suppose to scan the horse and the owners have the proper paperwork. *Suppose* is the key word here and also the scanner has to pick up the chip. Too many variables w/ the chip IMO. Its the slaughter house or the auction houses word against yours that they scanned the horse.

If I had an option of freeze branding vs microchipping .... Freeze branding would be the way to go.

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:22 AM  
Started

In our area, most of the cattle are branded.

My QH was branded two owners back, and I'm kind of proud to have their brand on my horse.

I almost bought a little sorrel mare twenty years ago just because she had the King Ranch "running W" brand.

Several of the top barrel horse and reining horse breeders/trainers in our area brand their horses, and it serves as an advertisement for them, and as a 'status symbol' for the one riding the horse.

I've seem some god-awful brands out west. The worst is somebody named "Epps" that used a running iron to brand that name in letters about six inches high on a black roan App mare. Of course, she's known as the Epps App.

Some states (Wyoming, Colorado, NM, Arizona?) require branding of livestock. The regulations vary from state to state.

We have a registered brand for our place. I inherited it with the ranch.
But I've never put it on anything, not cattle or horses.
theoldbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:49 AM  
Pasture Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboyjake View Post
Also very well said Barnbum, with microchipping there is just no way to tell if a horse has been done and chances are they are just not going to be scanned. Also there are different scanners to different chips so if they do scan your chip may not scan with there scanner. It's not a 100% system. A freeze brand never moves and is always visable. There is no pain for the horse, and you don't have to pay a company money to keep your information up to date, they do it for free. Once you own your brand you own it for life as well great bonus for me the way I see it.
As for a high risk area, the risk is always there. The temptation of someone driving by and seeing your horse and having horrible thoughts can be there. Unfortantly it is an awful world sometimes. Then there is the chance your horses can get out, it is a permant id tag. I will freeze brand every horse I own.

Night Fire Ranch
Old 12-01-2008, 07:55 AM  
Coming two

The microchipping is kinda what got us thinking about it again, there was a program on RFD last night that was all about horse theft. I figure it's a good way to identify your horse and maybe a thief would think twice before taking the horse since it is so noticeable.

GLD-I would love to see a finished picture if you get a chance. Also, did it seem to hurt when they did it? ETA-Sorry didn't see what you had written above.

I guess I need to do some research on branding in Illinois.

Last edited by Awesome Paints : 12-01-2008 at 08:01 AM.
Awesome Paints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:17 AM  
Pasture Pet

I will go into the pain part a bit more...
We had a vet come out to do our freeze branding and he sedated them mildly just to take the edge off and have them stand still. Then they shave them right down as close as they can to the skin while the branding iron is sitting in the dry ice. Then they rub alcohol on the area to make a high contact area and place the iron on for like 30 seconds. After about 20 seconds the horse may twice the skin around the area like having a fly on there because it is so cold but it isn't a extreme reaction. Then when they pull off the iron its done. It will swell up and then the swelling will go away and over the next couple of days it will scab (thats where the white hairs come from) the most uncomfortable part for the horses where the healing where it got itchy.

ETA; I will try and get you a picture of Libbys today

Night Fire Ranch
Old 12-01-2008, 01:41 PM  
Yearling Member

I never worried about branding until I had a horse stolen It made me a big believer in freeze branding. My horses all have their breed mark and registration number on their necks. The brands were reported to the registries as a permanent mark on their papers. It also shows up on coggins papers. I have a few minis that are not registered and the freeze brander assigned a national ID number and it is recorded with the Freezebranding Assoc.

Let me tell you, when you have a cop searching for a missing horse - bay, brown, red, sorrel, chestnut are all the same to them. They just see brown horse. However, if you have a brown horse with a white brand on the neck, they can identify it much easier. The horse can also easily be spotted in a herd with use of binoculars - so then the cop will have a justifiable reason to search for your horse. They just can't go looking for horses in every pasture - but can use binoculars to spot your horse. Believe me, I actually trespassed on many farms before we found the horse - LOCKED in a roundpen.

I had my hubby dismantling the pen and getting the horse out before I ever went up to the farm house. According to the police I trespassed and stole a horse - even though the horse was mine Cops can't see a microchip and sales don't have scanners. But a good freeze brand can be faxed to all the sales, ag officers, ag inspection stations, cops, etc. who may be able to help in the search for the horse. All my horses are branded for ID purposed. Plus, a freezebrand of registration number is not considered a farm brand and you do not have to register a brand with you state dept. of ag.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:45 PM  
Coming two

So did the vet actually do the branding?

pasopony-That stinks! Did you get arrested for stealing your own horse?
Old 12-01-2008, 01:49 PM  
Pasture Pet

Yup my vet did the actual branding. PCC has done some freeze branding a few years back but having the vet come out was just nice and easy.

Night Fire Ranch
Old 12-01-2008, 02:21 PM  
Yearling Member

Awesome Paints,

If you'd like some information on freeze branding in Illinois, contact Donna Irvin, or Aaron Callahan of Blackhawk College East Campus, of the Equine Science Department. My last year there we started a branding program on all of our school owned horses, after one of our horses had been stolen right out of her stall. Both teachers have branded their own stock, and the school's stock, and would be able to answer any and all questions you might have on this issue. They are both AQHA Certified Professionals, as well, so since you have Quarter Horses they would be able to answer the questions in reference to the breed as well.

www.bhc.edu - Is the link to the main webpage of the school, you can use it to find out how to contact either teacher. Donna is very respectable about getting back to people via e-mail, if you don't feel like calling.

The freeze branding was done at our school, by a vetrinarian. We actually chipped all of our horses, as well, but again, if they don't scan for the chip whose to say if it will help find your horse? We had a big seminar that day on branding and it was open to the public, so we could help make it aware the theft that is going on in our area.

The brands on the horse that was stolen were what led us to find her again, a student recognized her in a parade.

Anyway,

I hope that information helped.
Amjzimm19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:08 PM  
Pasture Pet

Ok I went out and fed and forgot the camera so I went back out to grab you some pictures of the brands.
This one is Libbys, it shows up a bit better because her winter coat is very short.

This one is Chevys his hair is really long so his doesn't show up as well.

This one is Iggy's his hair length is in between Chevys & Libbys. I have also added a picture of his PMU freeze brand that he has on his neck.

I have been told they come in much clearer after there first shed, so I can't wait until summer to see them!

Night Fire Ranch
Old 12-01-2008, 08:15 PM  
Coming two

So they will probably be clearer like Iggy's neck next year then. Cool. Thank you for getting the pics for me, especially since you had to go out in the cold twice.

I did some research and from what I can find out I would not have to register it in Illinois. But I would want to, that's kinda the whole point to have it on paper that that brand is yours and your animals carry it. The good news is it doesn't cost to register or to keep you brand.

Now to just come up with one.

Amzjimm19- Thank you for the info, I will definately look into it!
Old 12-01-2008, 10:17 PM  
Pasture Pet

I hope picking the brand can be easy for you. Do you have a farm name you can play off of?

Night Fire Ranch
Old 12-02-2008, 08:58 AM  
Coming two

Well, the other half wants something like a double D or bar D or circle D, but I find that very boring. Last night I came up with a couple different ones using R S for Rusty Spur Livestock. But of course he didn't like it because it didn't have a D in it. From what I've read on the internet they are suggesting using more than one letter so it won't be as common.

I just want something more exciting than a D with a shape around or near it.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice