Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2008, 09:07 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Pine gum - does anyone know???

Does anyone know how to get pine gum (sap from a pine tree) out of a horses hair. My deal little yearling has a great big patch of it just above his eye and has a few patches of it on his side. I can imagine that it is sticky and annoying because I have seen him try to scratch it -- is there anything I can use to help get this out of his hair.
There's 2 big pine trees in his pasture and I am sure that he was rubbing against them. Silly boy!!
Would baby oil or MTG work??
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Horselessnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:10 PM  
Long Yearling

only things that i can think of are alcohol and paint thinner...
but not sure you wanna use paint thinner on your horse..well some nail polish remover might.. or like something lil stronger asetone?? spelling maybe wrong...its same as polish remover but not all polish remover is 100% asetone??
Gids_mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 09:14 PM  
Coming two

Try hairspray it works really well to take gum out of hair I've used hairspray to take tree sap off of vehicles also.Just spray some on let it sit for a fews seconds and you should be a ble to work it out easily with your fingers.
Old 10-04-2008, 09:25 PM  
Greenbroke Member

thanks lady dumpling -- I know you have spruce trees on your property (from a previous post). I don't know if I want to try the hairspray so close to his eye though. I am sure it would work on his sides
Gids -- was thinking of that to use, but he has a great big chunk of the "gum" just above his eye and I wouldn't want to get anything in his eye.
The little bugger must have been scratching his head on the tree and then decided that his side was itchy as well . . . . . . .
Old 10-04-2008, 09:30 PM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horselessnomore View Post
thanks lady dumpling -- I know you have spruce trees on your property (from a previous post). I don't know if I want to try the hairspray so close to his eye though. I am sure it would work on his sides
Gids -- was thinking of that to use, but he has a great big chunk of the "gum" just above his eye and I wouldn't want to get anything in his eye.
The little bugger must have been scratching his head on the tree and then decided that his side was itchy as well . . . . . . .
hmm that does make it lil tougher..would he let you place towel or something of the sorts over his eyes or face and then put it on?? so it wouldnt run into this eyes??
only choice maybe to cut it out then?? let us know hwat you do??
hope you get it out..
Old 10-04-2008, 09:37 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Gid's -- great suggestion, but am not entirely sure he would allow a towel to be put over his eye. He's come a long way since I got him, but was basically an unhandled 10 month colt when I bought him 2 months ago. He's weathered a cut chest, has been halter trained, taught to lead, had his feet done twice and had an interesting "session" being taught to pony (that's another lo-o-ong story). Am not sure he's ready for anything put over his eyes without another "fight", so might just leave the stuff in there for now. I just know it's gotta bother him though and will probably lead to more rubbing and hopefully NOT on the same pine tree
Old 10-04-2008, 09:39 PM  
Halter broke

Mayonaise.. leave it on and let is saturate the goo.. In a half hour or so, all of it should come off. Its also good for the hair!
Old 10-04-2008, 10:21 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Mayo -- now why didn't I think of that Thanks Midwest -- I can try that tomorrow and don't have to worry about it getting in his eye.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:23 PM  
Halter broke

Wink

LOL.. Dont worry, thats not a usual thought that is supposed to come to mind! I have had some icky stuff land on mine before, and then stress about getting it off. It wasnt until I had to do some color up prior to a show that I realized it works!

Another household item.. Tomato paste. Dont leave it in as long as you would the mayo, because it is more acid based, which you would want to keep away from the eyes, but it works even better if the mayo paste isnt moving as fast as you need.
Old 10-05-2008, 04:28 AM  
Seasoned

Last year I used absorbine Miracle Groom. I found it worked great and removed anything sticky even stains on grey horses etc
breburtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:23 AM  
Started

Peanut butter! Leave it on for 1/2 hour and it should take it off.
rivervu2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 05:36 AM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivervu2 View Post
Wow! i never would've thought of that but it makes sense..all the oils that are in peanut butter.. i mean have you ever gotten peanut butter on something like clothes or the counter...it leaves an oil stain or oily streak stain... hmmm ill have to try that next time....

ALSO mayo. like was said above... it does work.. when i was younger a boy on my bus stuck gum in my hair.... we used mayo to help get it out..took forever but worked.....
Old 10-05-2008, 05:37 AM  
Weanling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivervu2 View Post
OOH, your grey in your avatar is lovely.

I am told Eucalyptus oil might work to remove your sap.
Thekidsmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:12 AM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thekidsmum View Post
OOH, your grey in your avatar is lovely.

I am told Eucalyptus oil might work to remove your sap.
Thanks! He's a great guy. When I went horse shopping last Spring he was the first horse I looked at; 10 years old and didn't know much, ridden in a hack. He's coming along.
rivervu2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice