Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2008, 12:25 PM  
Newborn Member

KILL FLEAS!! Any concrete methods

Anyone know of any concrete methods of getting rid of Fleas, got them in my barn. There not bad, got rid of the cats that where carrying them but, I have to pick them off me everytime before I go back in the house. Have used a termite type spay that says it will keep them away but, I need to kill them before they get bad. HELP!!
Old 07-27-2008, 01:07 PM  
Started

Ah yes, flea season is starting to go into full swing, isn't it? Boric acid or DE can help if you want to avoid spraying with chemicals.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:24 PM  
Started

Send a message via Yahoo to Druydess
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrow7284 View Post
Anyone know of any concrete methods of getting rid of Fleas, got them in my barn. There not bad, got rid of the cats that where carrying them but, I have to pick them off me everytime before I go back in the house. Have used a termite type spay that says it will keep them away but, I need to kill them before they get bad. HELP!!
Lime...you can get it at a garden store, walmart, etc.
Just dust it around...
Druydess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:25 PM  
Coming two

I have 4 dogs so I by frontline by the bottle and spray it on them and it works great. I also spray inside the horses ears for ticks once a month. I bet you could use the spray as a premise spray as the bottle isn't too bad expensive.
lbequ4002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 05:21 PM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrow7284 View Post
Get diatomaceous earth. All feed mills put it in horse feed to kill bugs and keep numbers down. So if you put it all around your barn it will hurt none of your pets or horses. I use it as a wormer for my horses, dogs and cats to stay away from poison wormers. It is very fine and you sprinkle it around, use a mask so you don't inhale it into your lungs. It kills so much more than fleas as far as bugs are concerned.

Feel free to PM me if you have further questions.
eclectic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:01 PM  
Pasture Pet

Really? I would think that would HAVE to be on the label and I do not see it on mine-the DE that is. I just checked.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:23 PM  
Started

I hope the feed mills aren't putting it in the feed. I don't mind it around the premisis, but not in the feed.
Old 07-27-2008, 09:29 PM  
Weanling Member

Food grade DE is harmless when ingested. They do as far as I have heard put it in our flours and what not that we eat also so wouldnt be suprised about horse feed. I have heard though as a wormer it isnt so effective as when it gets wet like when ingested it looses its punch. It is crushed up shells that puncture insects bodies and causes them to dry out.

For the fleas us the DE and you can add some essential oils also like cedar and such.
azhorselover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 04:31 PM  
Coming two

I board dogs but I refuse to board fleas Fleas are easy to kill but they are like ants they're everywhere. Each flea lays 100s of eggs and they sprinkle like salt off any infested animal.

Use any brand flea killer you like, it needs to have a insect growth regulator in it. Stop the fleas lifecycle with the growth regulator (like preclor), kill the adult fleas with spay and pet treatment. And the fleas will be gone. The growth regulators last several months so feral cats and wild critters won't reinfest your land as fast.
Sunlei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:56 AM  
Weanling Member

Send a message via Yahoo to 904horsenerd
Borax in the laundry section it is a powder it will kill the fleas but is harmless to you
904horsenerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:10 AM  
Started

My mom has always used rubbing alcohol and it works wonders. You just have to be careful with the youngins. I don't see how you could use it on horses without buying a load. I wish you the best in beating those pesky little buggers.
Old 07-29-2008, 08:28 AM  
Yearling Member

Regular hydrated lime that you buy to put in your horse stalls works wonders for the fleas. You can put it in a spreader and do your entire pastures - won't hurt the horses and is good for the grass (don't OVER do it, it can kill the grass). Also, someone mentioned Sevin Dust. That works very well and can be broadcast spread too. You can also put Sevin directly on animals and it is safe.
Old 07-29-2008, 04:30 PM  
Weanling Member

Fleas spend about 90% of their time off of the animal that they feed on and they can live in the environment for months-sorta like hibernating--and come out at the first sign of a meal--vibrations. There are lots of products that will treat them---seven dust, etc. You need to treat all areas, plus animals at the same time and retreat again in about 10 days to really be effective.
For a barn, seven dust or Adam's Yard and Kennel spray would be good choices.
Ryle is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice