Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2008, 11:09 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via AIM to Crookedblaze
Pooping and peeing in the stall?

Rocket has decided that he wants to poop and pee JUST in his barn stall.

He has a 120 x 50 outdoor space that he hangs out in, until he has to go. Then he walks into the stall, does his thing and walks back out. This isn't a complex barn, there isn't a door that we can close in the back, it's just an open doorway to the outdoor space.

What can I do to discourage this? We have mats down that are incredibly hard to clean.

I experimented with feeding him outside of the stall, but he still goes in there to go poop. He likes to pee in shavings, so I put them all over the outdoor part, and he walked right into the stall and peed.

This is the first time that he has been in a barn stall, so I don't think that he completly understands what to do with it.

Four things greater than all things are...Women and Horses and Power and War -Rudyard Kipling
Crookedblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:24 AM  
Halter broke

stall is a potty

theres no real way to stop him.. I like to use wood stove pellets as bedding because they are so easy to clean... just think.. you dont have to walk all over the pen to find the poopies.
luckierthanhelooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 11:27 AM  
Greenbroke Member

LOL yeah, now all I have to do is bring the wheelbarrow (which he is, for some reason, extremly afraid of) into the stall. I generally have to turn him out because he is so afraid of the wheelbarrow. The wagon that I use for bigger cleanup jobs he is fine with, but that wheelbarrow...

Four things greater than all things are...Women and Horses and Power and War -Rudyard Kipling
Old 06-27-2008, 01:28 PM  
Kid Safe

Take away ALL the shavings, except in a muck tub in the middle of one wall of the stall. Put a pile of shavings in there including some he has soaked, with some poop. If you are lucky, he'll learn to do his business in only in the tub. Once he's made that habbit, see if he'll still use the tub with shavings in his stall.

You can potty train a horse.

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:29 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taelesean View Post
Take away ALL the shavings, except in a muck tub in the middle of one wall of the stall. Put a pile of shavings in there including some he has soaked, with some poop. If you are lucky, he'll learn to do his business in only in the tub. Once he's made that habbit, see if he'll still use the tub with shavings in his stall.

Very interesting!
Freedomnchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:39 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I potty trained all of my bunnies like that, taelsean!

I'll try that. Rocket's smart, he seems to catch on quickly.

What kind of muck tub do you suggest? I have never seen or heard of them! We have a little kiddie pool...

Old 06-27-2008, 01:42 PM  
pvf
Bombproof Member

Quote:

Oh I'm so going to have to try that!! Potty training here we come..

www.prairieviewfarms.net Raising Reg. Paints and Quarter horses
pvf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:47 PM  
Kid Safe

Big tub, like a half-barrel with rope handles...lemme see if I can find one real quick to link to...

Yup, State line has them:

http://www.statelinetack.com/itemdy0...278%2070%20BLK

I've seen them sold at grocery stores and Taget as utility tubs, too.

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:53 PM  
pvf
Bombproof Member

I use them for mucking the stalls out.. Didn't know you can teach them to use them..
I have a few horses that only go to the bathroom in one certain area in the stalls they might be the easiest to train..

www.prairieviewfarms.net Raising Reg. Paints and Quarter horses
pvf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 01:55 PM  
Weanling Member

I have wondered about potty training!!! LOL

My girl has one spot in the whole field she will poop and pee in. She will walk all the way across just to use that spot for the potty.

Looks like he has found a bathroom! lol
FastHorses000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 03:17 PM  
Seasoned

I have a gelding that will run from the farthest corner of his pasture, poop in his stall, and then run back out (we have stall doors open to the paddock, which goes to the pasture). He has never been stalled, yet still does this. It's his preference I guess. Saves me from picking up his piles in the paddock and from harrowing the pasture on a regular basis.

Luckier, where do you get your stove wood pellets and how do you make sure they don't have walnut? I use the equine pellets and they are pretty pricey. We have a friend with a pellet stove and she stores her pellets here, but when I asked the store (where she bought them) if they had walnut in them (they are supposed to be oak/pine) the guy said "they use mostly oak and pine but they typically add any wood that comes in". I'd love to find a brand of stove pellet that guarantees no walnut. Pellets are SO much easier to use than sawdust or shavings.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:02 PM  
Long Yearling

My daughter's mare does the same thing. Let us know the trick if you get him to NOT use the stall and go in the run out.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:07 PM  
Halter broke

I guess it depends where you live and where they are made.. the ones I buy are fir (they are marketed as useable for horse bedding) ...but usually here they are pine or fir... You can call the manufacturer...... You also want to make sure they dont have any adhesives or additives that could be an issue.. mine are 5 something a bag.. I fill a stall with 4 bags and add no more than a bag a week... strip stalls every 2-3 months.. I LOVE PELLETS.. best thing since sliced bread!

Usually they dont just add what ever to them.. they are formulated to burn long and hot...

Last edited by luckierthanhelooks : 06-27-2008 at 04:09 PM.
luckierthanhelooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:44 AM  
Coming two

Make the floor hard so the pee will splash on him when he goes. They don't like that.
Wolfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 12:50 AM  
Kid Safe

I'd just put a chain across the barn entrance so he can't go in there. I had to do that with my barn, and using makeshift supplies, used a fencing staple to nail the chain up, then another fencing staple on the other side (not through the chain though) and then connected a snap to it, which would just clip to the opposite fencing staple. Very simple, and easy to put up and take down
Old 06-28-2008, 08:55 AM  
Seasoned

Alot of horses have favorite spots to go pee or poo and his obviously is in the stall.
I had one that would only poop in one corner of her paddock and when in a stall would poop in the hay manger.
Since I've owned lots of horses through out the years and have worked on several farms I've seen lots of horses that only go in certian spots(I love those horses that only poop in one corner or along a certian wall lol makes stall cleaning easier)
Since theres no door to stop him from going in theres not much you can do other then putting a door up or making some sort of baricade that would keep him out
breburtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:12 AM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Big tub, like a half-barrel with rope handles...lemme see if I can find one real quick to link to...

Yup, State line has them:

http://www.statelinetack.com/itemdy0...278%2070%20BLK

I've seen them sold at grocery stores and Taget as utility tubs, too.

Walmart has them, just picked one up for $10. TSC has them for $15. I use them for water in their stalls. I have to take the rope off b/c my gelding likes to pick them up and flood his stall. I also use them to store water for hurricane season should be need to.

There is a boarding barn here that locks their horses out of their stalls to"teach" them. The sad part, is they have no access to their water in the hot weather here in Fla and they have no shade. The owner of the barn is a "butt" and the boarders were raising holy "heck" when they found that out.

I am fortunate. My mini poops and pees outside. His poop is literally on top of each other and he pees in one spot. My other gelding on the other hand, he pees outside but will poo both in/out.

BarnBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:37 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Rocket has fungus on his legs that I have to shampoo every day because he doesn't care about pee splash. He's soooooo lazy.

taelesean, I put shavings in a kiddie pool in the corner and have slowly been moving it out into his paddock...and it's working! He hasn't stopped completly, but he's getting better. The lady that boards her horses laughed at me when I began, she's had horses or 50 years, been in Pony Club for 40 of those and has never seen it done. I started in the front of his stall, where he pooped the most, and now it's by the door.

Old 07-01-2008, 10:36 AM  
Long Yearling

Yeah... horses have suprizing aim with their fannies...

My favorites are the ones who like to poo exclusively in their hanging water buckets... lol. Tat always seems to hit the target, but only at shows.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:52 AM  
Seasoned

Oh, dont you just love the perfect aim for the feed bucket???? I dont know HOW many times I went out to feed and dumped feed in a bucket and there was poop in it!!! So, on go the rubber gloves and get the poop and grain out and wash the bucket. Found another spot to put it and its up a little higher. I have one stall in particular that whatever horse has been in it, they will poop right in the same spot. Its not the smell, because it has been stripped, disinfected, etc and was over a year before a horse was even in it. I have one clean horse. He poops in one corner, neatly organizing his pile Only downfall to that is sometimes his butt is too close to the wall and he poops on the plywood before it hits the ground, Yuck. Wont pee in his stall. Some horses dont care if they splash their legs or where they go. I have 2 total slobs, mother and son. Poop, pee, scatter it everywhere. I wont lock them out though. Its 90+ degree's and they need shade and a fan in the real heat of the day. Now if only you could teach Rocket to clean his own stall and feed himself

PaintsQH is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice