Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Best gaited breed?
Saddlebreds 3 4.00%
Fox trotters 5 6.67%
Singlefooters 1 1.33%
Mountain horses. (Rocky, Ky) 6 8.00%
Paso Fino 15 20.00%
Peruvian Paso 3 4.00%
Racking horses. 2 2.67%
Standardbred. 5 6.67%
Tennessee Walker. 30 40.00%
Spotted saddle horses. 5 6.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2008, 02:55 PM  
Weanling Member

Best Gaited Breed?

I am just curious to see the opinions of the best gaited breed.
I know it is mainly just the horse, and just how smooth they are.
But is there any breed that is typically smoother than the rest?

I put it as a poll, and if they're any more breeds I didn't include let me know.
warmbloodsx3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:34 PM  
Weanling Member

Anyone have explanations to why that breed is better?
Old 06-15-2008, 04:18 PM  
Weanling Member

i have a twh. he does a nice rack. i like all the horses but just had to go with my own.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:24 PM  
Weanling Member

i would say the TWH there is one at the barn and he went to the nationals as a 2 year old and as a 3 year old. i have no idea of his registered name but hes a big baby and he has a gorgeous gait.
Just_Another_Love007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:42 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I put SSH, I have one and know several others. They are a wonderful breed! I also love walkers but couldn't pick more then one choice.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:42 PM  
Coming two

I don't own any gaited breeds but have a few friends with TWH.Also have met a few saddlebreds.The TWH I've met & have been told by others too that own them are nice quiet dispositions.Smooth to ride,cover ground.Great trail riding mounts, also alot of people we met on a mountain trip swore by there walkers for trailriding & would never go back to some other breeds they have had in past.The few saddlebreds I have seen were higher strung/flighty,too upity for my liking.Overall looks doesn't appeal to me either a lover of the stock horse breeds.Maybe the ones I met weren't best examples of the norm,but they made an negative impression on me.
paintedpastures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 04:50 PM  
Newborn Member

i have a TWH back home and she is good for every thing, i even barrel race just for fun on her they are just good all around horses with awesome temperments and willing to please.
Old 06-15-2008, 05:05 PM  
Yearling Member

I'm going to have to say TWHs. They generally can have very smooth gaits but also can have many different versions of gaits. Most I've met had great dispositions and wonderful a work ethic and even the ones with no so wonderful dispositions had a great work ethic. to me they are the ATV of the horse world and if I had to choose between a stock horse on the trail or a TWH, after doing both on different horses again hands down TWH for me. I've ridden a MFT and while he was smooth he just wasn't my thing. Spotted Saddle Horses are pretty much TWHs with spots so I tend to like them too. Besides, what breed can you pretty much cut the legs off of and them claim they are perfectly fine?

I LOVE saddlebreds and they are flat out amazing but I really don't consider them a gaited breed. They have a high kneed trot and most don't rack. Those that do oftentimes must be taught to rack. There are some naturally gaited lines though. Their rack is beautiful but to me is not the most comfortable thing in the world. lol
Rudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 05:17 PM  
Pasture Pet

You forgot Morgans! Not all are gaited as it is a recessive gene for them. It is estimated that 25% carry the gene, but as a foal would need to receive the gene from both parents to be gaited it isn't that common...and they don't have gaited classes for Morgans so it isn't encouraged. That said though, I love our gaited morgans! They are so smooth, but can still jump and do dressage with the non-gaited breeds.

Karen
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:25 PM  
Weanling Member

Thanks to everyone who posted.
I to own a TWH, although I have not ridden all of the other breeds, my boy has a nice racking gait. And yes a wonderful work ethic and disposition as many of you have stated.
Old 06-15-2008, 09:15 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I picked TWH because that is what I own. He is my first horse and the first gaited horse that I have ever ridden. He is very smooth and I love him to pieces. He is very laid back and calm and usually puts in a great effort for whatever I ask of him. I have recently started to do gymkhana events with him as well, just for fun.
I would really like to try a paso fino or peruvian paso as well but haven't had that opportunity yet.
Horselessnomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:38 PM  
Halter broke

Had to go with the standardbred's . Their temperments are unbeatable.
haleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 09:41 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via AIM to Crookedblaze
I love my pasos. I rode a Paso Fino for a loooong time, and I have helped groom for a Peruvian Paso trainer at shows.

Both breeds look stunning, like little Andalusians, and they have spunk. They are also smaller - less hight to fall from :-P

Four things greater than all things are...Women and Horses and Power and War -Rudyard Kipling
Crookedblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 08:36 AM  
Yearling Member

where are the icees?? i rode icelandics for a long time, owned two, and just fell in love with the furry little guys. one of mine is now doing therapeutic riding. i STILL dont know how to do pics, so heres a link

http://www.raisinghoperanch.org/pages/ourprogram.shtml

they are 5 gaited, and the tolt and pace are too fun (and soooooo comfy). i also love that they can a do trot, unlike other gaited breeds they are encouraged to trot and canter. when you show them they are shown at all of the gaits, including trot and canter.

they are a really special, hardy little breed, and of all the gaited horses i have had and ridden the icelandics are by far my favorite!
Old 06-16-2008, 08:54 AM  
Kid Safe

I have both peruvian and finos but I went the peruvian. Both are equaly smooth but in my case my finos are more high strung that my peruvians. I have to agree that it's not as far a fall

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but becase of the people who do nothing about it.~Albert Einstein
paso_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:59 AM  
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by paso_lover View Post
I have both peruvian and finos but I went the peruvian. Both are equaly smooth but in my case my finos are more high strung that my peruvians. I have to agree that it's not as far a fall
Fall? Heck, if you feel yourself slipping, you can just take your feet out of the stirrips, stand up, and let them walk out from under you...
Faceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:04 AM  
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faceman View Post
Fall? Heck, if you feel yourself slipping, you can just take your feet out of the stirrips, stand up, and let them walk out from under you...
Thanks, I'll remeber that next time

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but becase of the people who do nothing about it.~Albert Einstein
paso_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:47 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Foxtrotters! Not that I'm biased or anything.... I love that they can have height and gait. My FT is only 14.2, they come in bigger sizes.

I also love TWH's and like the look of Saddlebred (although I have yet to ride one). TWH's also have the height and gait.

Gaited breeds are my favorite, so I love to hear about everyone else's horses. So far i've had a TWH and now an MFT and my step-mom had a standardbred/TB (but he WAS NOT the racking kind).
HighHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 10:55 AM  
Seasoned

I have owned Fox Trotters, Peruvians, TWHs and mountain horses. The gaits on all of these are wonderful, each very comfortable and easy to maintain for trail riding. I have never owned anything but gaited horses and have been around them all my life. I have loved each and every one I have owned.

Every horse is an individual. However, I think the mountain horses, as an overall breed (since there are now three breeds of mtn horses I should really say "breeds" instead of "breed": Rocky Mountain, Mountain Pleasure and Kentucky Mountain, although many argue the last is not technically a breed but instead is a registry), are the most friendly and level-headed. My mother-in-law (who raises cattle) said, upon meeting my two mountain horses, "they are the Jersey's of the horse world" (if anyone here knows about Jersey cattle, they are really something -- inquisitive, friendly, etc. -- and this is a characteristic of the breed). I have never had horses steal hammers while I am working in the pasture, run off with my water bottle, stand literally on the other side of the fence while I am using a circular saw, or stand with me for hours while I fish, constantly sniffing the fly rod and the fish I catch. Four out of four mountain horses have done exactly those types of things! None of my TWH have ever been this curious. This type of behavior is the rule, rather the exception, with mountain horses. I know many, many women who own Mountain horse stallions, as they tend to be so well mannered, in general.

The Mountain horse was raised and developed in the back hills of Kentucky where it had to be the "go to" horse: pull the plow, pull the wagon, be the riding horse, etc. as the folks could not afford to have a different horse for each activity. They had to be reliable, dependable and level headed or they were gone. These horses were left on their own in the winters and had to fend for themselves, so the weak did not survive. These horses were basically genetically engineered (via this process) to be survivors (easy keepers), people-oriented, inquisitive, and all around athletes. I'm not saying a horse of one of the other breeds can't or won't have these characteristics: I'm just saying this tends to be true for most mountain horses (that being said, I've met some fruitcake mountain horses -- I've also met some scary Jersey cows!)

So I guess it depends on how we want to define "best".
Old 06-16-2008, 02:11 PM  
Long Yearling

Had to vote TWH...didn't want a mutiny in the horse field

I love the gait, but mostly love the attitude of the TWHs.

Many of the gaited breeds have the same quailties...raised to work (do it all - ride, drive, cover ground quickly), bred for being able to ride them ALL day (smooth as butter on a hot grill), picked to be a "buddy" (when riding all day, it is much easier to have a horse that wants to please and serve you - easy to catch, works all day just to hear "good horse", easy keepers).

I agree that the SSH came mostly off the TWH lines, so love them too...many TWHs are also reg'd racking too. From my understanding the MT horses, TWHs, MFT and the gaited Morgans, even the appy "shuffle" horses...all came out of the same kind of need for a horse who could do the work without making the rider "saddle sore" at the end of the day.

As a child, I loved the TWH first time I saw one and that AWE has never left. I love all breeds....but the attitude, smooth movement, joy of the spirit of TWHs still keeps me in AWE...and they delight me as they "walk" my fields

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice