Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2008, 07:33 PM  
Long Yearling

Have to get rid of my horse

I am not sure if this is the right place to post this or not. I had to make the decision today to take one of my horses to the auction next week. The sad part is, I really don't want to let her go and it's not money making me do it, it's my lack of skill. I just don't have the skill to ride this mare, she's too hot for me. I just traded for her in December and was told she was a broke, trail ridden horse that I would be able to handle. Well, she is all that, but she also likes to buck when she doesn't get her way. She bucked me off again sunday and I just can't take it anymore. She's a great mare on the ground and my trainer loves her to death, but admitted that I wasn't good enough for her and she was gong to hurt me if I kept trying to ride her.

I can't justify paying the board on a pasture pet when I could be taking that money and putting it into one of my other horses. At this point, if I knew the mare was going to a good home, I'd give the mare to them as I am not expecting a lot of money from her at a auction.

I just wanted to cry on somebodies shoulder.

sherri
Old 05-03-2008, 07:36 PM  
Greenbroke Member

I am so sorry....she is a beauty.

I know this was a hard decision for you.
Freedomnchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:51 PM  
Pasture Pet

Your trainer doesn't want her as a resale project or something? Just thinking of an alternative. I would take photos of her being ridden and such and post them at the auction, being very upfront about the issues you have for her...people will appreciate and trust you more. she is a nice looking/eye catching horse so that will help too.

I am sure the both of you will be happier when she is in a more suitable home.

Karen
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 07:54 PM  
Pasture Pet

It is a hard dicision to make. Perhaps the folks you bought her from are willing to take her back?'
Maybe try selling her instead of auction situatiion?
Perhaps she just needs more ground work and working in an arena first to work out kinks?
Good luck,
horselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:05 PM  
Long Yearling

Send a message via AIM to equine.trailrider Send a message via Yahoo to equine.trailrider
Wow! She's super pretty! If I had the room, I'd take her!
equine.trailrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:09 PM  
Started

Beautiful horse. Her flash will hopefully get her a good home.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:11 PM  
Yearling Member

If I wasn't looking for something for my daughter to ride as well I would come see her. Good luck, hopefully the right person will come along soon.
kehlyrsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:19 PM  
Greenbroke Member

how about leasing her out until your skills improve? she is such a beauty, and if you are so fond of her, it's a shame to let her go...being overmounted is scarey, but your riding can always improve!
tallyho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:31 PM  
Long Yearling

I've thought about leasing her and I thought about putting her up for sale, but I don't want to get more attached to her. I want to cut my losses and move on. I offered her to my trainer, but she already has 4 horses and can't afford anymore, which I understand. I am scared of her now, last sunday really spooked me and I was lucky I got out of it as easy as I did. She bucked me off into a fence, two cracked ribs and a major black eye and bump on the head.

My trainer has no issues with her, but she can ride out the buck when she throws her little fits. I already have a horse that I trust and can ride and another greenbroke horse, so basically I have three horses and only one I can ride, see the problem?

My trainer is going to ride her at the auction for me and I am really hoping she changes her mind about taking her. Like I said, if it's a good home, she can go for free. Her ground manners are perfect, she stands and loads perfect, my three year old daughter rides her while I lead her, it's me plain and simple, I am not good enough for her and that is what makes me sad.
Old 05-03-2008, 08:38 PM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
I am not good enough for her and that is what makes me sad.
PLEASE don't look at it that way. You both are not simply a good match - not her fault or yours. You haven't failed her or yourself - you are simply at different levels and there is no shame in that. She is so beautiful that I know she will go to a good home. And your other horses need you too.

((((((Hugs)))))) and prayers from Texas...

Visit us at www.goldencrossranch.com
Bonanza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:54 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by horselady View Post
It is a hard dicision to make. Perhaps the folks you bought her from are willing to take her back?'
Maybe try selling her instead of auction situatiion?
Perhaps she just needs more ground work and working in an arena first to work out kinks?
Good luck,
It is too bad you have to take her to an auction. Put an ad in your local paper. List her as free. Than screen people who come look at her. She is a good looking horse. But with the horse market the way it is, you probably will come out on the loosing end at auction. Have you looked into any rescues in your area? But there you have to be careful also. There are people that pose as rescues and are not. They just take the horse and sell to kill buyers. I understand you being afraid to ride her. She knows that and is taking advantage of the situation. So sorry that you have to get rid of her. What about having just the trainer work with her for 30-60 days? Is that an option?
BabyMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:59 PM  
Started

Please don't let a kill buyer get her

Perhaps we with EDS are like race horses - one of the old traditions was to 'handicap' the greatest horses so that they would not run away from the pack. They would pile on lead weights, whatever was needed to get up to the amount of weight the handicapper said they should carry. We're handicapped because otherwise the world could not keep up with us
Iwasbornonahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:05 PM  
Coming two

You're almost 700 miles from me or I'd take her

I'm sorry that you're faced with this choice. I have a horse I can't really ride too, but it's my confidence level not my skill level; and he's in training so I can get over it.

I hope for your sake that you connect with someone locally who can help you with her so you don't have to take her to an auction. That just seems like the last choice option to me.

I wish you the best with this.
DappleGrayMyWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:59 PM  
Yearling Member

I understand how you feel. I am selling one of mine. I have tried to keep him and that is after he cost me three surgeries. My husband can ride him but he is not that into riding. He says that I half to cut back somewhere. I am not going to ride him. My son tried to ride him and he wanted to pitch a hissy fit with him. I said that was it they cost to much to feed and there is to many good ones out there. He is great on the ground excellent ground manners, can ride great until he wants his way than he is a pain. He just want try my husband or my oldest son. I have sympathy for you, but find one you can enjoy and feel safe with.
Old 05-04-2008, 12:56 AM  
Started

Send a message via MSN to sugarsgal
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasbornonahorse View Post
Please don't let a kill buyer get her
Was that really called for? I'm sure she is already feeling bad enough without comments like this!!

So sorry you have to go through this, I sure do hope you find her a good home! It is a tough thing to do but your safety must come first!

There is no such thing as an Ignorant horse, there are only Ignorant people!
sugarsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 01:05 AM  
Long Yearling

Just to let you all know, I think another Horsetopain, is that spelled right?, might be coming to my rescue.

Trust me, I don't want to take her to the auction, but I have to be a little selfish. I don't want to get anymore attached to her, she's so darn loveable and my daughters love her to death. If I had my own place, I'd be content to let her be a pasture pet, but I don't and the money I save on board could be going into one of my other horses or my training lessons.
Old 05-04-2008, 05:54 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarsgal View Post
Was that really called for? I'm sure she is already feeling bad enough without comments like this!!

So sorry you have to go through this, I sure do hope you find her a good home! It is a tough thing to do but your safety must come first!
I am sure she didn't mean to be cruel with that comment. I was basicaly saying the same thing. Maybe some people dont know about kill buyers. Isn't it our responsiblitie to educate them?
BabyMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:02 AM  
Bombproof Member

Yay for another Horsetopian to the rescue! Keep us posted!
Old 05-04-2008, 06:37 AM  
Halter broke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyMay View Post
I am sure she didn't mean to be cruel with that comment. I was basicaly saying the same thing. Maybe some people dont know about kill buyers. Isn't it our responsiblitie to educate them?
Agreed! I don't see where the mention of kill buyers was being cruel. Actually, I was thinking almost the same thing........only my thoughts were......"once again a horse could lose it's life".......thinking that in reference to auctions and kill buyers.

To the OP, I am hoping the fellow horsetopian will take your horse and get her to straighten up. You shouldn't feel guilty for giving her up if she's too much horse for you. Your safety, and the safety of your family comes before anything else. Always remember that. However, I did want to say.........had you not of mentioned this on here (Horsetopia), and just took her to auction without trying other options first, I do feel would of been unfair to the horse. But, you DID mention it here, and it DOES appear as if someone may take her. Good for you!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess my point is, too many times people just "dump" their horses at the nearest exit, without making an effort to place the horse for the horses benefit. Most auctions are sending them to Canada and Mexico now, since the cost of feeding them has become too expensive for a lot of folks, and people just are not buying them now. I give you BIG KUDOS for making the effort and accepting that she is too much horse for you, but still giving her a chance to be the perfect horse for someone else to ride! You made the sacrifice of giving her away for free, and taking a loss, for her benefit, and at the same time protecting yourself and your family. A horse owner doesn't get any better than that!!!!!
LovesEveryHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:38 AM  
Coming two

I hope everything works out for you and the horse! I wish I had more room in my pasture... I'd take her in a second! She's a beauty! Don't forget there is no shame in knowing your limitations! I had the same problem after getting back into horses and bought one that I loved but was way too much for me. It's not like when I was younger and care free... now I have the children to think of if I get hurt. It's a tough decision and I don't blame you for a second for making it.

How old is she?

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice