Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2008, 08:09 PM  
Weanling Member

Black Walnut trees and horses: help!

Can you keep horses on property with black walnut trees? Will I have to cut down all of them? My property is full of them, some mature and some young, and the extension agent says they will be valuable in a few years. Just imagine a woodsy setting, with the big trees mostly black walnut. Can mules or donkeys be kept safely on this kind of property? Please help! I want to move my horses to my property but if they will be endangered by the trees, then I will not be able to keep the horses. Thanks.

Last edited by midnyte : 04-29-2008 at 08:19 PM. Reason: more info to reader
midnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:27 AM  
Bombproof Member

Yes, Black Walnuts are NOT good for horses. I provided a couple of links with information.

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1148.html

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/...cts/walnut.htm
Old 04-30-2008, 05:49 AM  
Started

I would NOT under any circumstances keep my horses on a property with black walnut, red maple or other such toxins.

Cut them down and plant some safe trees. If you want fast growth get some aspen and popple trees for the short term, and give some oaks or something time to grow up.

Perhaps we with EDS are like race horses - one of the old traditions was to 'handicap' the greatest horses so that they would not run away from the pack. They would pile on lead weights, whatever was needed to get up to the amount of weight the handicapper said they should carry. We're handicapped because otherwise the world could not keep up with us
Iwasbornonahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:03 AM  
Long Yearling

Send a message via AIM to equine.trailrider Send a message via Yahoo to equine.trailrider
Black walnut trees are toxic to horses. If they are on the property but not where the horses are kept, that's fine but if they are where horses have access to them cut them down! When they're cut down, you will want to tarp the ground around the tree. The wood is severely toxic to horses and you don't want that sawdust on the ground.
equine.trailrider is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice