Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-24-2008, 04:45 PM  
Bombproof Member

IMPRESSIVE BRED, The Good and The Bad!

Hey guys, alot of recent talk about Impressive bred horses out and about. As we all know of late there is alot of negativity surround a wonderful line in Quarter Horse breeding, "Impressive".

I will not deny that his line has been link to a serious and awful genetic flaw, but less we forget it is not a death sentence and I think this is a wonderful opportunity for those who have done there homework to shed some light on the horse, the line and what to look for regarding HYPP.

Also, if anyone has any question please feel free to ask, I am sure that there of plenty of folks here on the forum that can help, or help you find the answer you may be looking for.

As always let us try and remember the golden rule, and hopefully we can all learn something in the process.

Any of you out there who own Impressive bred horses specifically, please chime in and tell us what you know, have experienced, the pros and the cons. And as always.....Pictures are welcomed!!!!!

Last edited by seerfarm : 03-25-2008 at 05:11 AM. Reason: Title Change
seerfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:49 PM  
Weanling Member

this is really cool for you to post. I was just reading the other day on the forum about someone wanting to buy a mare that could have the gene, and i pm(ed) someone becausei have a mare that is n/n and was unaware of how serious this gene is. Thank goodness she is n/n but thanks to a fellow horsetopian i was able to find what i was looking for. But i am always looking to find out more information. Thanks again everybody

home 2 1/2 arabs & 1 quarter paint mare
kristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:53 PM  
Started

Send a message via AIM to Linebacker55
You can go to risingwaterqh.com to see PLENTY of Impressive bred quarter horses. I believe all but one on there are impressive bred, and all are N/N.
AQHA/ABRA/IBHA
Linebacker55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:53 PM  
Pasture Pet

An N/N Impressive bred horse will be just like any horse without Impressive breeding.. No issues - and can never pass along any issues unless bred to an N/H or H/H horse..

They are such beautiful horses.. and so versatile.. Although they do not fit our breeding program, I sure would not turn down ownership on one if I were looking for a good mare to breed for halter or a great horse to ride..

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:58 PM  
Seasoned

Send a message via Yahoo to Diamond_Y
My mare, Newly Cool, aka Que, is Impressive bred. She also carries the blood of Skipper W.

She is smart as a whip and just plain pretty, even though she's "plain" sorrel. She also presented us with our nicest foal of 2007. He is big, beautiful, and as smart as his momma.

I will admit that if her papers had not been labeled N/N, I would not have bought her.

She's bred to Leo and we are eagerly awaiting her 2008 foal, due April 7th.
Diamond_Y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:17 PM  
Started

I too would never purchase a N/H or H/H horse. HYPP may not be a death sentance for certain but it makes the horse more dangerous than normal due to the fact that they could have an attack at any time, even while you're riding or in a small area where they could fall and pin you down etc. Also I love my horses like family and I couldn't deal with the worry of Oh my gosh is my horse going to be alive this morning? I know any horse can get ill but a HYPP horse IS ill and you never know when it might strike.

I am in the camp that says all N/H and N/N horses should be banned from breeding. If that happened we could eliminate this disease. That doesn't mean all Impressive horses would have to go, just the affected ones. This would prevent more sad deaths from HYPP. Someone here posted a vid of a mare with a foal at her side having an attack, and it was so so sad to watch. I couldn't in good conscience breed a horse that could pass it on knowing I could be inflicting that suffering on the baby.

That said Impressive horses are awesome horses when they are N/N!

Perhaps we with EDS are like race horses - one of the old traditions was to 'handicap' the greatest horses so that they would not run away from the pack. They would pile on lead weights, whatever was needed to get up to the amount of weight the handicapper said they should carry. We're handicapped because otherwise the world could not keep up with us
Iwasbornonahorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:20 PM  
pvf
Bombproof Member

The stallion in our advatar is Impressive breed he is also N/N..

Also, N/H can live there whole life without any problems also, you just watch there diet, exercise more. Not that we would ever breed with an N/H horse cause they have a chance of passing it on to there foals.

Here is some info on Impressive accourding to A Western Horseman Book:

On March 20,1995 as his last foals were hitting the ground, Impressive died at the age of 26, under the ownership of Maurine Faulkner. The stallion sired 2,250 foals in 24 crops. Among is get were 846 halter point earners who claimed a total of 19,038.5 points. Though not as well known for producing saddle horses, Impressive sired 268 performance-point earners who earned a total of 5,624 performance points. The stallion sired 29 world champions who earned 38 titles.

www.prairieviewfarms.net Raising Reg. Paints and Quarter horses
pvf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 05:21 PM  
Weanling Member

i saw that video also. What concerned me was when the foal had one front leg over the mom and the mom was thrashing to get up. Kind of scary.

home 2 1/2 arabs & 1 quarter paint mare
kristin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:43 PM  
pvf
Bombproof Member

horses that have full blown HYPP it is very scary and sad.
But not all horses that are Impressive bred are bad.. any of them that are N/N are normal horses that don't carry the HYPP.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:50 PM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvf View Post
horses that have full blown HYPP it is very scary and sad.
But not all horses that are Impressive bred are bad.. any of them that are N/N are normal horses that don't carry the HYPP.
Right, I did mentioned I'm all for having and breeding N/N Impressive horses.

I just wish we could eliminate the disease by keeping N/H and H/H horses from breeding. Then no more horses would ever suffer this particular affliction.

Perhaps we with EDS are like race horses - one of the old traditions was to 'handicap' the greatest horses so that they would not run away from the pack. They would pile on lead weights, whatever was needed to get up to the amount of weight the handicapper said they should carry. We're handicapped because otherwise the world could not keep up with us
Old 03-24-2008, 06:57 PM  
Started

My gelding Zero has Impressive in his background = I'm not real up on all this NN PP or whatever it is that they can pass on. I wish that I was more knowledgeable about this because I would wnat to know if I should worry about something happening to him. Sometimes ignorance is bliss?
Stormy's Human is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:59 PM  
Pasture Pet

My gelding is Impressive bred, and he although "just" a chestnut and not anything spectacular in color, he is definitely a head-turner everywhere we go. He is so smart and incredibly athletic, which always surprises people because of his huge size (he is 16.2 and very solidly built). When I bought him, I had never heard of HYPP and did not know anything about H/H, N/H, N/N, it was all like speaking a different language to me. I am since grateful to find that he is N/N and not in any way afflicted with HYPP, but I did not even look at his papers or know that he had Impressive breeding, particularly so close up. I just know I got lucky with hime! He is smart, willing, loving, agile, and a great all-around horse.
Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:59 PM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy's Human View Post
My gelding Zero has Impressive in his background = I'm not real up on all this NN PP or whatever it is that they can pass on. I wish that I was more knowledgeable about this because I would wnat to know if I should worry about something happening to him. Sometimes ignorance is bliss?
You should really know his status. You could be hurt or killed if he would have an attack while you were on or near him. Not to mention do you know what an attack looks like and what to do if you see him having one? He could die either way, but you could possibly prevent it if you know what to do

Old 03-25-2008, 06:08 AM  
Yearling Member

Here is my gal Genie---she is double Impressive and is hypp n/h. Sorry the shot doesn't show her body--it was cold the day I took the pics. Genie is 3yo and is a wonderful little girl. I hope to show her someday at some of the open 4-H shows in the area. As beautiful as she is to me, I will never breed her, as I do not wish to take the risk of her passing on hypp to her baby.

"To err is human, to forgive is equine"
blueberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 06:24 AM  
pvf
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasbornonahorse View Post
You should really know his status. You could be hurt or killed if he would have an attack while you were on or near him. Not to mention do you know what an attack looks like and what to do if you see him having one? He could die either way, but you could possibly prevent it if you know what to do
Thats a little extreme.. have you ever delt with a horse that was having an attack???

Old 03-25-2008, 06:27 AM  
pvf
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormy's Human View Post
Is your gelding registered?? If so can you post a link to it we might be able to help you tell what your boy is..

Old 03-25-2008, 06:31 AM  
Pasture Pet

This is my Impressive Bred gelding who is N/N

He is an awesome youngin
Old 03-25-2008, 06:33 AM  
Pasture Pet

My trainer has a Bay Impressive bred mare and I have been talking to him about getting her for a breeding/riding mare, She is N/N. I love Impressive horses
Old 03-25-2008, 06:45 AM  
Coming two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwasbornonahorse View Post
Negative. Have you actually witnessed someone or heard of someone getting hurt or dying from an Impressive N/H or H/H horse? Yes it's scary and sad, but you make it sound like it's a killer beast It's not as bad as your making it sound, might be frighting people.
AQHBarrelRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 07:13 AM  
Yearling Member

I have a long 4 year old Impressive bred paint. He is N/N as I called the AQHA to find out what the the status of Impressive Rusty (N/N) by Pretty Impressive (N/H).

I was a bit nervous about owning an Impressive bred horse, but Blaine assured me that Sheer Kahn was going to be okay. I do believe I have the exception to the Impressive bloodline rule. He's a big "clown" for a lack of a better term. He loves people and will annoy the heck out of ya until you love on him. He's not the most athletic horse in the bunch. When we're out riding, he would much rather walk and take in the scenery than do something productive. We love him anyways, and he loves us. He knows Blaine's voice on the phone. I put my cell on speaker phone so Blaine can talk to him. You should see the look Kahn gets! It's so sweet!.

"Sit tall in the saddle, Hold your head up high, Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky, And live like you ain't afraid to die, And don't be scared, Just enjoy your ride." ~Chris LeDoux
jen21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice