Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2008, 02:18 PM  
Weanling Member

Too Cold to Ride?

At a barn I used to take lessons at they said it wasn't good for the horses lungs to ride in zero degree weather. I have heard it doesn't hurt the horse as long as you do a light workout. Anyone know which is true? For my own comfort I wouldn't ride in below zero weather, but is it okay if you were to ride?

Thanks
Sylvia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:20 PM  
Started

I was under the impression it was ok, as long as the horse didn't get too worked up, sweaty or winded. But I don't know if thats correct or not.

Last edited by horseloverinVA : 01-15-2008 at 02:36 PM.
horseloverinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:27 PM  
Coming two

Send a message via AIM to DanielleS
I say I wouldn't be brave enough to find out, but I have ridden in weather that cold. And as long as you properly warm up and cool down your horse I've never had any issues. I also never did any real strenuous workouts though in super cold weather
Old 01-15-2008, 02:30 PM  
Newborn Member

Thumbs up

Last year over here in Michigan it got below zero,and yet my daughter still went riding.I couldnt stop her But i guess thats what happens when you like to ride so much lol the funny part is is her and her cuzin went out grabed the pony and then my daughter grabbed my 4 year old green mare that haddnt ben rode in 3 months due to the Winter(you wont catch me riding in it)And jumped on her and took off......and the other funny part is is that they went bareback!well down by the road they they were planning to cross crcket turned arround and she slipped right off her back into the snowshe was laughing saying how fun it was and that it didnt hurt it was like going poof and lading on a cloud but our horses got rode in it and they were fine,they never got to the point of sweating tho
cowgirl_attitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 02:36 PM  
Weanling Member

oops I didn't realize all the topics on this subject. I searched it, but it didn't come up.

I will read some of the other posts.

Thanks
Sylvia1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 07:12 PM  
Started

As long as it's not any colder than -30 C, I ride, just not too hard.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:25 PM  
Seasoned

Send a message via AIM to Thunderz Gurlz Send a message via Yahoo to Thunderz Gurlz
Well.. I ride in below zero weather all the time.. If the horses get sweaty I put the cooler on her and walk her tell she is dry.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:05 AM  
Started

Man you guys are brave. I am such a wuss if it gets below 50 I don't go riding. Might not be too cold for the horse, but it is too cold for this old girl!!!
Old 01-16-2008, 06:22 AM  
Kid Safe

Well being in Northern Ontario if we didn't ride in anything below 0 we wouldn't ride at all from November till March. Horses are fine just dress warm but not too warm cuz then you'll sweat and then freeze.

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but becase of the people who do nothing about it.~Albert Einstein
paso_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:02 AM  
Halter broke

We drive cattle regularly in the winter, especially from Thanksgiving to Christmas when everyone is moving cattle from pasture to cornfields. This past fall was one of the coldest times I recall riding but the horses did great.
We started out doing this with our own and for a few neighbors and now get calls from all around our area as the farmers can move the whole herd at once without having to load and unload their trailers over and over.

The only time I really worried about the horses was the day it started sleeting and raining on us on about an 8 mile drive. By the time we got the cows into the cornfield and turned around to ride back to our trailers it was a real blizzard with strong wind and snow mixed with the sleet. We usually have someone to drive our vehicles and follow us but that day we were short handed so we had to ride back. We were frozen and the horses were covered with ice but wet underneath. We left them saddled and put a cooler over them and hauled them 20 miles back home. We walked them when we got home and gave them warm water to drink and left them in the stalls. When we turned them out later that evening they ran and bucked and played just like normal. We could hardly move but they did fine!!
4-H mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:12 AM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paso_lover View Post
Well being in Northern Ontario if we didn't ride in anything below 0 we wouldn't ride at all from November till March. Horses are fine just dress warm but not too warm cuz then you'll sweat and then freeze.
I was going to say the exact same thing. There have been many occasions when I've ridden in -30 degree weather, one year I rode on the night of the worst snowstorm I've ever seen. It's fine as long as you warm up for a super long time, cool down properly with a cooler and watch the horse for distress since some of them breath a little harder in the cold (like anyone would). Mostly I ride the same all year round. If I let weather conditions get in the way, I wouldn't ride from November until May for one reason or another. Now that I have a n indoor to use, I don't let anything get in my way.
Rusty's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:19 AM  
Newborn Member

We ride no matter how cold.
I thing as long as you put a blanket on them and cool them back out they are fine...
The horses all ways feels better when its cold to me you can get a little more out of them
walk_on_Ky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 07:49 AM  
Seasoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by paso_lover View Post

Yes but zero in Canada is 32 in the states! Darn exchange rates!!!
recklesshoundog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 02:44 PM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by recklesshoundog View Post
Yes but zero in Canada is 32 in the states! Darn exchange rates!!!
Okay, so what's 0 F in celcius??? sorry, dumb blonde here .
Old 01-16-2008, 02:50 PM  
Pasture Pet

Approximately -18 c.
Carri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 03:10 PM  
Started

Oh okay. Well than sure you can ride!
Old 01-16-2008, 06:16 PM  
Bombproof Member

Harness horses that race in cold Canadian winter temps. get lung bleed, but keep in mind these horses are working at capacity.
Slim Pikkens is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice