Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2007, 09:48 AM  
Started

Is this a nervous tick???

I have a TB, his name is Bailey. He is from an uncertain background and his papers were lost so nobody knows where he's been or where he came from. I acquired him from a friend who was getting divorced and had to sell. I took him only because he has issues and she was afraid he'd end up in an undesirable situation.

As I said his past is a mystery. We are sure that he was beaten at some point, he is very jumpy. Out on trails or riding he's not jumpy at all but around people he has major trust issues. Never mean just scared to death. He has superior jumping and dressage taining somewhere in his past and rides like a dream especially dressage. He's warmed up to me like a puppy but I'm stil the only one he let tug and touch him anywhere. Not to mention scratch his ears because is horribly headshy most of the time. He was very thin and skittish when she bought him, and then shortly after came to live me, because I'm a sucker.

Now that you have an idea of background comes my question. When he eats he pick up his front foot, either holding it in the air, or holding it in the air and jerking it back and forth. I've only know one other horse to do this. The difference is he did it anytime he was nervous even when riding him. He was a big chicken and always nervous. But, my Bailey only does it when he eats...is this a habit? A nervous issue? Anyone ever seen this before?

He's not doing it in this pic because he's eating hay not grain, but here he is. He seems to be happy and healthy these days.

horseloverinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:52 AM  
Coming two

aww he's a doll!! i'd say if this is the only "bad habbit" he has count yourself lucky. as long as he doesn't start striking the wall/fence where his bucket is hanging i wouldn't worry about it. i've seen several horses do this and i don't know why they do it but it doesn't seem to hurt anything.

horsebabyhehe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:53 AM  
Yearling Member

My best friend's horse does the same thing. When she dumps his grain into his feeder, he closes his eyes and lifts one of his front legs -- like he's in ecstacy! After about two or three bites, he will put it back on the ground and eats like a normally.

I thing you don't have anything to worry about.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:58 AM  
Pasture Pet

We have had a couple of horses that did that too.. as stated, if that is the worst he does, you can forgive that..

I love his face and eye - what a nice looking boy!

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 09:59 AM  
Weanling Member

We have one that does that too. She'll do it as soon as she sees us. If we don't feed at that time she'll stop (when she realizes it's not feeding time). I think they just do that when they anticipate something. She does it when we're saddling too so I think she's a little nervous about that but when it comes to food I think it's a good sign cause she digs in and paws away. Never touching the ground. Some see it as bad but it doesn't bother us.
Pasogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:01 AM  
Coming two

One of my dads horses does that, right along with pawing at the fence when she wants her grain. To her it's a character trait, she is a nutcase but we love her. I'd say it's just something he does.

P.S. He looks like an old QH that we used to own, but he's close to 30 now and last I heard his name was Gumby or Gumbo.

Candy - 21 year old Palomino QH Mare
Shez Easin On (Lady) - 21 year old Buckskin QH Mare
enelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:05 AM  
Halter broke

My TB does the exact same thing. Everytime I give her grain, she holds one leg in the air, and sometimes paws the air as well. lol I think its kind of cute.
It seems to be just some type of anxiety while eating grain I think...
zorble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:07 AM  
Coming two

Maybe it's their way of protecting the grain...to knock anything that tries to come between them and their grain away. LOL.

Candy - 21 year old Palomino QH Mare
Shez Easin On (Lady) - 21 year old Buckskin QH Mare
enelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:25 AM  
Greenbroke Member

I have a mare that does the same thing when there is grain involved. She will pick up one of her front feet and paws the air while eating her grain. It is just a habit with my mare but it sounds like the same thing with your horse.

Brazil's National Horse is now in Canada! http://sunsetmarchadors.blogspot.com/
dandeeqh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:25 AM  
Yearling Member

Oh if this is all he does, yes, count your blessings. A LOT of horses do this. In fact every one I've had has done this at some point in their lives. Some of them grow out of it as babies and others just do it. It's just the excitement of being feed. It's frustrating when they do this and spill thier food though. My Paint gelding does this and spills his food all over. I'm hoping he'll grow out of it because he's still a baby.

I had one that was really bad about it an knocked it over every single time. I put her feed dish in a tire. It only made her worse and she got more aggressive at the tire and would kick it until she managed to get it out of the tire. No easy feat but she did it. She eventually grew out of it but still would do the pawing motion just got smart enough not to knock her food over.

Your boy will be fine. He sounds like such a good boy and it's wonderful that he has a great life now.
sweetwaterarabians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:30 AM  
Started

My two coming 3 year olds do this. Drives me nuts, especially when the food goes flying everywhere. I started feeding them in a small rubbermaid water tub that they can't kick the feed out. Less loss that way.
Old 12-28-2007, 10:34 AM  
Pasture Pet

Old shiner does it the whole time he is eating his grain.
Surely does it but only when she sees you coming out with a bucket. She picks up one foot and then pulls it all the way up and tucks it behind her elbow.
It is a riot-she looks like such a goof.
I think some just L O V E their grain so much they get twitterpated.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:09 AM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsebabyhehe View Post
aww he's a doll!! i'd say if this is the only "bad habbit" he has count yourself lucky. as long as he doesn't start striking the wall/fence where his bucket is hanging i wouldn't worry about it. i've seen several horses do this and i don't know why they do it but it doesn't seem to hurt anything.
Yes, it doesn't bother me at all. Like I said the only other horse I've known to do it was in a nervous jerk 75% of his life, he'd stop while you were riding and do it sometimes. He was a QH. It's not a problem at all, he shares his food nicely when they are fed together(leg lifted), and eats in his stall (leg lifted). My other 2 just look at him funny when he lifts his leg sometime...like "what are you doing"??? I just wanted to make sure there wasn't anything to it..like something bothering him that I could fix

Last edited by horseloverinVA : 12-28-2007 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:12 AM  
Greenbroke Member

I had a gelding that held up his left leg and leaned on the wall with his right side. I moved his stall and the feeder was on the other side. He couldnt eat right for 2 days, he was off balance .. he finally switched sides and did it opposite.
calicocalgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 11:14 AM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by enelson View Post
One of my dads horses does that, right along with pawing at the fence when she wants her grain. To her it's a character trait, she is a nutcase but we love her. I'd say it's just something he does.

P.S. He looks like an old QH that we used to own, but he's close to 30 now and last I heard his name was Gumby or Gumbo.
I was told he was pure TB, but if you asked me I'd say he was appendix. He has the withers of a TB but so many QH features, he's 16 years old and 16'1h. My farrier swears he's part QH, he's just not sure which part. Don't know, no papers...doesn't matter to me. As far as I'm concerned he's found a home with me.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:16 AM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicocalgirl View Post
I had a gelding that held up his left leg and leaned on the wall with his right side. I moved his stall and the feeder was on the other side. He couldnt eat right for 2 days, he was off balance .. he finally switched sides and did it opposite.
Thats funny! My fella doesn't lean....just keeps that leg up! My other horses look at him like he's a nut case!
Old 12-28-2007, 11:21 AM  
Yearling Member

My yearling mustang filly does this all the time. She does a ton of weird things though, so I just kinda laugh & be done with it! I think it's just habit or something that some horses have.
barrelracer94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 06:28 PM  
Coming two

Send a message via AIM to DanielleS
Stormy does that. And so does my mom's horse Tres. I don't think its anything to be concerned about, I think its just a happy to eat grain thing.
Old 12-31-2007, 12:39 PM  
Kid Safe

My husband's four-year-old Appy does it. I make him stand quietly before I dump his grain in his pan. However, once he's eating, he often does what you described. I thought it was just a young age thing - impatient/excited to get his grain.

www.peacehavenfarm.com
ahlihaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2007, 01:00 PM  
Seasoned

Send a message via Yahoo to Horses&Soccer
One of ours and one of the BOs horses paw the ground while eating grain.

Some days I just want to be a missing person
Horses&Soccer is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice