Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2007, 09:22 AM  
TDH
Seasoned

The mane falls on which side...??

Okay, I just came across a supposed factoid in a horse calendar I got for Christmas. It says:

"Horses have two legs on one side that are shorter than the legs on the other side. The mane will fall to the short-legged side."

Huh??

I've come across things that I know are flat out wrong, or at least very misleading, in calendars in the past.... but this one is a new one. D'ya suppose the short-legged on one side happens when the horses are raised on a steep hill/mountain?? Does it mean that if the mane sprouts to both sides, then you have a perfectly level horse?

Okay, so, joking aside.... what DOES determine which side of the neck the mane grows to?? And is it a hereditary trait?

Last edited by TDH : 12-27-2007 at 09:27 AM.
TDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:32 AM  
Kid Safe

I have never heard of that, and every horse I have ever owned has has his/her mane trained to lay on one side, the right.

RIP Justin
You stole my heart and for that, I am grateful.
Sirita_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:34 AM  
Greenbroke Member

http://forum.horsetopia.com/showthre...ght=mane+falls

This was a discussion a while back.. interesting thought, but I dont think it is true.
calicocalgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:40 AM  
Weanling Member

I never heard of the leg shorter thing but I did learn thru Dressage that the mane falls on the stronger side and when a horse is balanced the mane will split and fall even on each side....
After learning that and seeing horses that were 'right handed' and 'left handed' there seem to be some truth in it...also the higher level Dressage horses I rode all had split manes....
I also heard that is can be f/how they were in the womb....another tidbit with that was horses North of the Equator if they are club footed will be in the right foot?....
Things that make you go "Hmmmmmmmm"
Old 12-27-2007, 09:56 AM  
Halter broke

My horses mane falls mostly to the left but also has about 1/4 of it going to the other side. My farrier did say 1 of his back legs was a little longer but I can't remember which one.
rms0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 09:58 AM  
Halter broke

I have also heard that it falls on the stronger lead side. My thoroughbred mare's mane falls on the right for the top half then in the middle it splits and falls on the left. Not sure what that says about her.
peepshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:04 AM  
Coming two

When I first got my gelding, the top part of his mane fell to the right, the bottom half to the left. I tried and tried to get it all to fall to the right because all the horses I have ever had had their manes fall to the right. It all now falls to the left. Considering the personality of my guy, I just let it go and it falls all to the left. That's just him
SheriK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:04 AM  
Yearling Member

I've heard it falls on the stronger side too, which holds true as far as I know. All my guys' manes are on the right and they all seem to favor their right lead in the canter and gallop more. Plus I can have them be more balanced when doing circles... it's really odd when you think about it :P

Logan - 21 Year old Bay Dun AQHA Gelding
Leo - 8 Year Old AQHA Gelding
Sierra - 3 Year Old Miniature Mare
Fiona - 7 Year Old Irish Draught
Logan-24- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:06 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Ok, now I have to go out to the barn to see which side the manes fall on......

Peace!! I wish the people of the world could get along as well as the animals in my backyard.
crittermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:10 AM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by peepshall View Post
I have also heard that it falls on the stronger lead side. My thoroughbred mare's mane falls on the right for the top half then in the middle it splits and falls on the left. Not sure what that says about her.
Toby my haflinger does the exact opposite. Hmmm...
Old 12-27-2007, 10:11 AM  
Started

Send a message via Yahoo to GreyDot
If anyone ever finds out, I'd love to know! I wonder what it means when the middle of the mane falls to one side, and the parts by the ears and by the withers to the other??? That's not really a 'split' mane... more like a 'wiggly' one My gelding's mane used to stick straight up, like a zebra's, when he was young, then fell all over the place, now goes to his left... Hmmm...
Old 12-27-2007, 10:42 AM  
Halter broke

For some reason when I first got my mare Bernie I wanted her mane to stick straight up too, I think cause my riding instructors gelding did. Though when I bought her as a 4 year old it was all on the right side, then with age, or prehap all the dressage we were doing, parts of it started to fall the other side, sadly (for me) never straight up though.
peepshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 11:10 AM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equine Kneads View Post
I never heard of the leg shorter thing but I did learn thru Dressage that the mane falls on the stronger side and when a horse is balanced the mane will split and fall even on each side....

Great, so the one "balanced" horse I have is also the one with the least gait.
Pasodeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:02 PM  
Kid Safe

The mare in my avatar has been lame for a year now, and at her fifth vet visit, the vet measured her legs, and said that the front leg that seems to be the trouble is shorter than her other one. She's a VERY easy keeper, and being an Appy, doesn't have the best mane, but when her neck is thin enough for the mane to fall to one side, it DOES fall to the side of the side of the supposed shorter front leg... hmmm.

As for my other horses, I have no idea as I haven't ever actually measured their legs - lol.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:06 PM  
Bombproof Member

Gandalf and Shaman are split down the middle, does this mean they're well balanced?

Interesting factoid, TDH!

*heads to barn with measuring tape..

I can find it just fine on my own.....
divinemisselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:14 PM  
bobalooee

Ok, ya'll are going to make me go to the barn and measure legs. I just figured it was in the genes.

And, PasoDeb, I didn't know you had any balanced horses.
Old 12-27-2007, 03:36 PM  
Yearling Member

Bobalooee I like that one horse you have that has to stand on a hillside to be even across the back.
Pasodeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 08:54 PM  
Weanling Member

I don't know about other breeds but in the TWH it is supposed to fall to the right espcially if you're going to show them..You can go to www.walkers.west & scroll down to colt training or colt college I forget which it's called & it tells about it..Both mine part from the head about half way down & fall to both sides. I just wish it would stay on one side & I prefer the right.
BeverlyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:01 AM  
Kid Safe

Another Twist

Years ago, I read somewhere to be wary of horses whose manes fall to the right as their temperments are nasty. The manes of most horses I've ridden have fallen to the left (just happened to be that way - not because of what I read). My Haflinger has a split mane; it all falls to the left, but some of the portion behind his ear falls to the right also. I never heard about the legs being shorter.

www.peacehavenfarm.com
ahlihaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:39 AM  
Pasture Pet

Well I train my manes to all go to the right-so no help here.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice