Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2007, 08:51 AM  
Coming two

How to become a horse rescue?

Just out of curiosity... what goes into making a legit horse rescue?
Old 02-11-2007, 10:04 AM  
Bombproof Member

If you mean where people can donate and you give them a receipt for tax write off, 501 3 c.

I am not 501 certified, but I am legit.
All I had to do was register with the State Ag each year.
Cost me 10.00 dollars and I can accept donations, just not able to give them the tax exampt.

10.00 verses 800.00, I will take 10.00 any day.

Check with the laws in your State.

Actually going on 6 years
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:34 AM  
Bombproof Member

Like anything, sit down and draw up a business plan, mission statement, financial plan etc. This will help keep you focused and on track. It is easy to become overwhelmed with rescue cases.

It is not a cheap endeavor. Most rescued horses cost a LOT to rehab. And that is just considering any physical ailments they arrive with.

When you get into working with head cases, it opens up a whole new can of worms, as they are much more difficult to place in the long run than physical neglect cases. You'll inevitably end up with a "Lifer" pasture, dedicated to those that cannot be placed safely, for their sake or potential owner's sakes.

Rewarding, yes it is. Cheap? No way.

I can find it just fine on my own.....
divinemisselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 10:47 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Divine and Snickers gave good advice. Many of us will do "rescues", I guess we just aren't "legit" depending on your terms. We like to do a couple of rescues a year, but the money comes out of our own pockets. I am sure to tell people who want to "donate" their horses (careful, word gets out fast that you are doing "rescues") to us that we are in no way "official", we do not have a 501c and it would be a private "gift" from one owner to another. I tell them what we do, (groceries, retraining, etc) and they will be "resold" to new, good homes. (generally at a loss, as in, 99.99%) I don't want to get introuble with the IRS so all "sales" are claimed. We were unable to do any rescues this year due to the drought and lack of hay. I am hoping we will be able to next year or the year after. It is a VERY rewarding experience.
TxHorseMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:27 PM  
Coming two

If I can come up with enough funds, I have been offered all or part of a load of 30 minis. Not really neglected, just left loose to run with no human contact. If I take them (that is a big if) I want to make sure I go about everything correctly. I have a friend with a horse rescue but I haven't had a chance to talk to her yet about it so I guess I will be giving her a call. Thanks for your help everyone.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:37 AM  
Newborn Member

were do u look in state ag site?

what do you look under in the state ag to file at the fee of $10.00 im looking at my state ag site and its a mess?
Sassypugh is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice