Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2007, 12:41 PM  
Long Yearling

How far can a horse go in a day?

Someone else just asked how much a horse can pull and it reminded me of a question I've been wanting to ask.

My husband is a huge History Channel and Military Channel fan. Those 2 channels are on all the time at our house. Many times when he's watching a show about the old west or maybe about a military operation during the revolutionary war or civil war there will be horses in the pictures or in the re-enacted scenes.

A couple times he's heard something about cowboys or soldiers traveling X amount of distance in X amount of time. Then he'll ask me "how far can you ride a horse in a day?"

He's not a horse person at all. Since I am, he just assumes I should know that, but I don't really have any idea.

How far can you ride a horse in a day? I'm talking an in-shape conditioned horse, like they would have had in the old west days. Maybe some of you endurance riders could give me some insight, so the next time he asks me, I can give him an answer.

Don't ask me why he continues to ask this question... you'd think that after I said "I don't know" the first time, he would have figured I just didn't know But, for some reason he must be curious about this because he asks me every so often.

Thanks!

What will they think of next?
Nothing. There is nothing left to think of.
MikeysMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 12:44 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cascy
Alot depends on the horse, if it's in shape, the breed, ect.

Just for example, my parents raise Missouri Fox trotters, they are made to cover ground for long distances and do it while being a smooth ride. My dad has ridden his mare for over 30 miles in one day...
Old 02-02-2007, 12:47 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Location: Clyde, NC > 9 miles of friendly people, plus 1 old crab
I assume they had QH and horses like that back in the old west. I know QH are short distance animals. So I wonder the same question.

Support the wild horses on North Carolina Outer Banks
http://www.corollawildhorses.com/
Kelly4NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:04 PM  
Started

I know we've taken our miniature horses on driving treks up to 14 miles/day with 3 people in the cart and the only thing we have to watch out for is them wearing their feet down too far on the blacktop.

I'll never forget you, Clyde! 3/18/02-12/30/06.
You left me too soon, Peppy. It will never be the same without you 4/18/91 - 5/1/09.
BarrelGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:09 PM  
Yearling Member

I think the horses the military bred and rode were mixed with throughbred x whatever? Anyway when I was doing competive trail it was nothing to do 40 miles a day. I was never so fit as I was then! Horse and rider were in top condition. We rode 5 days a week and she got the best feed and looked like a million bucks.
And it depends on the speed your horse picks to travel. My horse was a walk trot canter sort of girl (she picked her pace) and my girlfriends gelding was a none stop trot guy. I guess some people could do more but that was a lot of conditioning and it was all we wanted to do.
repetesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 01:30 PM  
Yearling Member

Endurance racers frequently cover 100 miles in 24 hours. I have seen 100 mile endurance rides completed in less than 12 hours. The maximum distance for a one day on competitive trail rides is usually about 40 miles. Hope this helps.

In Loving Memory of my mother: Leona T. Harkenreader September 19, 1936 to November 23, 2007. and my father Lawrence S. Harkenreader September 5, 1936 to November 25, 2013. You are missed!
sparkyharky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:49 PM  
Started

I was going to say I think the Tevis Cup is 100 miles in one day. The most I've ridden was 42 miles. If you plan on riding that far never wear a brand new pair of Levis.
Mule Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 03:53 PM  
Kid Safe

Yeah, a lot depends on the horses. Sparky's Arabs can probably do 50 miles when they're in shape, tough to get a QH much over 30 or 35. The Pony Express stations were 10, sometimes 15 miles apart, but they ran their horses.

Wildcat's Arabs could maybe do 2 miles if you got them drunk and gave them enough rest stops.

My Casper would stand at the starting line, watch all those scrufty Arabs with their silly running walk disappear rapidly into the fog, then shake his head, turn around in disgust, and head for the barn...
Faceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 05:29 PM  
Pasture Pet

Well our Impressive daughter made 630 miles in one day.
She was in a trailer that day but still.
Old 02-02-2007, 05:39 PM  
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToveroMom
Well our Impressive daughter made 630 miles in one day.
She was in a trailer that day but still.
Those darn Impresssive horses can do it all - ain't fair to the rest of us...
Faceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 06:23 PM  
Weanling Member

I covered 170 miles in the apalachin Mts in 3 days on my QH.

ah, those were the days.
Old 02-02-2007, 06:34 PM  
Coming two

I would think with the rough way of life , and all the gear those horses had to carry, and those darn, hard saddles, that I would say 25-30 miles would have been tops, even if the horses were'nt exhausted, I bet those guys had to rest after going that far, to doctor the callouses on their hineys....
Crazy4paints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:32 PM  
Kid Safe

We have Pasos and in the summer it's not uncommon for us to go 50+ km during the day. For the record, we don't ride that way all the time but 3 or 4 times we all get together and leave around 5 am and go were ever the wind takes us. We come home anywhere between 6-8 pm.

The world is a dangerous place to live, not because of the people who are evil, but becase of the people who do nothing about it.~Albert Einstein
paso_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2007, 12:34 PM  
Yearling Member

It really does depend on the horse, the Icelandics can literally go all day! ( I can't however, so our longest ride was 40-50 miles in a day )

Be Something You Love and Understand~ Lynard Skynard
NHIceGSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 07:38 AM  
Long Yearling

Cool. Great information. I'm impressed with the distances some of you have ridden in a day. I have no idea what my longest ride would have been... maybe 15 miles. But, I knew that wasn't a lot.

I told my husband what you all had to say and he says "Thanks, That's something I always wanted to know."

Our other hobby is motorcycling. For me, a nice leisurely all day ride on a cruiser would be like 300 miles. I've done some 400 mile days, but was always hurting pretty bad. My husband rides a dresser so he can do 400 in comfort, he doesn't start hurting til 500.

Before we met, horses were my thing and motorcycles were his thing. 12 years ago when we got together I jumped right in and got involved in his hobby. I got my license, got a Harley, rode miles and miles with him. Hmmm.... I've yet to get him on a horse.... doesn't seem quite right, does it?

What will they think of next?
Nothing. There is nothing left to think of.
MikeysMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice