Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2007, 09:11 AM  
Pasture Pet

Freeze branding iron designs..

Hubby and I are looking to have a freeze brand made to use on our foals and horses this year. I have researched it and it seems humane and relatively easy to use - however, the design ideas are difficult to envision. We would like to use the G - then a bar - and - M (duh) and probably a four inch design.. Of course the discussion is still continuting over wether to place on a shoulder or the hip - I prefer the left hip myself.. hubby the left shoulder

Anyone good on design ideas and preferences on where you like to see a brand when you purchase a horse. Keep in mind that most of these will be duns and buckskins, so the design will probably be in black or dark colored hair when it heals...

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:13 AM  
Greenbroke Member

I like the hip.
I was thinking of doing freeze branding on my horses. A friend of mine does his horses.

You really need to like the design of your brand since you wont want to change it after you start.
calicocalgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 09:29 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Playin around....

Old 01-31-2007, 09:41 AM  
Pasture Pet

I like some of these... keep them coming!

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
Old 01-31-2007, 09:58 AM  
Yearling Member

Check with your brand registry. They have rules to go by. Here they can't be contected and only 2 letters or numbers. Those are really cool designs given. My girlfriends is << her farm is Arrow Lake Andalusians. In spain they do the stallions on the left hip and the mares on the right hip. I like the left hip. I wanted SDF as my brand but can't have it.
repetesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:00 AM  
Pasture Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by repetesis
Check with your brand registry. They have rules to go by. Here they can't be contected and only 2 letters or numbers. Those are really cool designs given. My girlfriends is << her farm is Arrow Lake Andalusians. In spain they do the stallions on the left hip and the mares on the right hip. I like the left hip. I wanted SDF as my brand but can't have it.
No one has ours and there are no rules in TN - go figure

I think we probably want then unconnected just for ease of identification though - and that is two votes for the left hip.. (us girls need to stick together )

Old 01-31-2007, 10:16 AM  
Yearling Member

left hip...!
and I totally like the first one (top left) of the "drafts"!!
Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:16 AM  
Pasture Pet

Me too - tha tis my favorite one also!

Old 01-31-2007, 10:21 AM  
Started

I think if you are going to do G-M, it is going to have to have a straight "bar" between the letters. Certain angles have different meanings.

G_M

~ My treasures do not clink together nor glitter, they gleam in the sun and neigh in the night ~
Rocking Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:32 AM  
Pasture Pet

You are right - I was looking at doing something with the

G
-
M

only closer together - with the bar maybe unconnected but at the same height as the line in the G and then the M underneath the bar but not touching it...

Old 01-31-2007, 10:36 AM  
Started

Hey, I like the shoulder. Everyone does the hip. Plus, I may be a little partial since my Brandy mare (original name, huh?) has a freeze mark on the left shoulder. Of course, I've seen some branded on the face, too!!!
almost_mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:42 AM  
Seasoned

y'know, I like the hip, but I've seen shoulder brands that were okay too. I've also seen brands on the cheek, and I would never consider one of those.

I like the hip because there is more fat underneath it, and horses seem less sensitive there than their shoulder... but that's just me.

I can't believe you still haven't decided, Gbar! I know, it's a big decision...

Do you need me to fly out and help with the branding??
miss leanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:43 AM  
Yearling Member

I like them on the left shoulder, but I have mine on the left hip.

Yes I have seen them branded on the cheek and also on the torso. But then again I have seen horses with 2 or 3 different brands on them.
Cynder'sWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 10:44 AM  
Pasture Pet

Probably will need your help Miss leanne, how are you at wrestling colts and holding them still

Mozart, that is why Pat likes the shoulder - he said it is unique and will help our horses and brand get noticed... sigh - it is a hard decision to make!

Old 01-31-2007, 10:54 AM  
Long Yearling

I have never seen one on the shoulder but would think a brand more be more noticable on the hip. Depending on tack could the shoulder be partially covered? (don't honestly know as I do not know where it would go)
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:03 AM  
Seasoned

My best advice is to either invest in some good sedation or some stocks... they have to hold still for about 45 seconds - 1 minute... just keep that in mind.

We had the vet sedate the ones we branded... my cousin's friend brought dry ice (her husband is a doctor, she got it from his office) and we did it with them out in the field. I've seen it done with the horse in stocks before, but that can get dicey.

Honestly, it was easy. Just shave the place where the brand is going to be, put the iron in the dry ice for 30 seconds, then on the horse for 45 seconds and PRESTO!
miss leanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2007, 11:05 AM  
Greenbroke Member

I like the first one here too.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:06 AM  
Pasture Pet

The dry ice directions on these brands is 16 to 24 seconds.. You should be able to hold them still for us that long

I don't like the stocks - we will have the vet come out and sedate them and do them all at once - safer for equines and humines, and just plain easier..That is assuming we can ever agree on the design..

Good point Dixie on the shoulder - I will use that in my new argument!

Old 01-31-2007, 11:07 AM  
Greenbroke Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJPOkOTIboc

just a thought to watch out for!! OUCH!!!
Old 01-31-2007, 11:10 AM  
Pasture Pet

Ouch is right - those are nasty hot brands though - these are the freeze brands. Virtually no discomfort or pain - just a feeling of cold..

You are getting closer calico - move that bar level with the line off the G and then put the M under the bar a little to the right of the G and I think that is what I want... Now, how to convince hubby that we want the same thing

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice