Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Would you own Impressive-bred horses?
Yes 35 46.67%
No 11 14.67%
Who? 0 0%
Maybe, depending upon HYPP status 29 38.67%
Voters: 75. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-02-2007, 04:19 PM  
Started

Impressive-bred horses - yay or neigh?

Not insulting either horse, but Impressive breeding around here is the kiss of death breeding wise. Most everyone I know (including me) personally will not have an Impressive bred horse. Also, I don't think a breeding stock should be kept as a stallion, the whole point of being a paint is having color.

Always make sure your fences are horse high, pig tight and bull strong.
sswtness75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:29 PM  
Kid Safe

Send a message via AIM to ThorArb
Thats funny! Everyone here is the exact opposite. If the horse has Impressive, especially up close everyone is all on it!

My new Appaloosa filly, Dezi, is a granddaughter of Totally Impressed who is by Impressive. She is HYPP N/N though.

Brittany
Old 01-02-2007, 04:42 PM  
Seasoned

I LOVE Impressive horses, for halter animals especially. They are pretty, and are usually good natured, and if you get the right lines crossed with them, they are actually pretty versatile as well. If I ever get into halter competition (read: get enough money scraped together to buy a quality animal and have a nice place to keep it), it will likely be Impressive bred. They cross extrordinarily well with the Weiscamp horses like Skipper W.

HYPP is something that, if you breed two tested negative animals, it will have no affect on the resulting foal. That is a proven fact.
www.bringinglighttohypp.org -- any breeder of stock horses, paints, appaloosas and quarter horses should be well-versed on everything on that site, it details just about all the genetic defects associated with the bloodlines involved.

I personally am not a big fan of the linebred Poco Bueno horses. In addition to being at risk for HERDA, they are generally small animals with cresty necks and long backs. Poco Bueno was a great horse, to be sure, but just not really one that, IMO, stood up to any intense linebreeding. I'm sure there are people out there just WAITING to prove me wrong ( BRING IT ON!! ), but I'm just commenting on the bulk of what I've seen from that pedigree.

But I guess that's what makes the world an interesting place, that there are so many varied opinions on what is good and what is bad.
miss leanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 05:33 PM  
Kid Safe

Send a message via AIM to ThorArb
Hey I like the Poco Bueno horses! Are you trying to say something about Zippy, you know he has lots of Poco in him too!

Kidding of course!

Brittany
Old 01-02-2007, 05:40 PM  
Pasture Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorArb
Hey I like the Poco Bueno horses! Are you trying to say something about Zippy, you know he has lots of Poco in him too!

Kidding of course!

Brittany
Now, I love poco horses, but mixed with enough other foundation breeding that HERDA is not an issue, and definitley NO spots on the butts It is bad enough that I have a filly who drools over Zippy...

Both those colts are nice gelding prospects, but I see nothing in them that stands out for stallion material either. If I were you, and serious about a stallion prospct, I would keep looking... finding a good stallion prospect is not that easy - you are definitely going about it the right way though. Look, ask, and wait until you find just the right one! (I still think Otto is a cutie pie)

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:19 PM  
Started

Send a message via AIM to Linebacker55
Quote:
Originally Posted by sswtness75
Not insulting either horse, but Impressive breeding around here is the kiss of death breeding wise. Most everyone I know (including me) personally will not have an Impressive bred horse. Also, I don't think a breeding stock should be kept as a stallion, the whole point of being a paint is having color.
How SAD... <Snip> Impressive was not only the premire halter stallion, he is currently listed as number 21 in AQHA's all time western pleasure point earners in OPEN Classes, the toughest competition. That says something about how diverse this horses offspring were.

As Miss Leanne said, if you know what you are dealing with in HYPP then you would be fine.

Funny thing.. My shoer was just telling us, the BEST roping horse he has ever had was an own son of Impressive....

But hey, if the people around you think they are the kiss of death, send them down our way, as most people we know would love a PRETTY, DIVERSE, well bred horse!
AQHA/ABRA/IBHA
Linebacker55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:36 PM  
Yearling Member

i have noticed alot more Impressive bred horses in the performance ring as well as the western pleasure. one thing i don't like about that breeding is alot of people over breed halter and get this monstrous horse (which isn't bad) but they alot of times have small hooves which gives them a higher chance of going lame because of their size. theres a stallion named Sir Cool Skip i think it is, and he is THE ONLY impressive stud that i have seen that i haven't found something i liked on. he's too big, and his head is way too small. not coming down on the owners, because he is a proven producer and a point earner himself, this is just my opinion. not coming down on horses that have it, i love the look of the horses, but i just don't like the small hooves and no withers. Impressive lines crossed with performance lines, now THATS a different story
*hides in case of flying objects*
royaldakotabreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 06:58 PM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by royaldakotabreez
i have noticed alot more Impressive bred horses in the performance ring as well as the western pleasure. one thing i don't like about that breeding is alot of people over breed halter and get this monstrous horse (which isn't bad) but they alot of times have small hooves which gives them a higher chance of going lame because of their size. theres a stallion named Sir Cool Skip i think it is, and he is THE ONLY impressive stud that i have seen that i haven't found something i liked on. he's too big, and his head is way too small. not coming down on the owners, because he is a proven producer and a point earner himself, this is just my opinion. not coming down on horses that have it, i love the look of the horses, but i just don't like the small hooves and no withers. Impressive lines crossed with performance lines, now THATS a different story
*hides in case of flying objects*

There are many halter horses with small feet, but in a majority of the cases I would say that is a misconception. Most of our halter horses and broodmares have good feet, as do most of those that we are friends with. There are exceptions to any rule, and we do have a mare with smaller feet, wears a 00 shoe, but she has hardly ever taken a lame step yet.

I like the Impressive/Skipper crossed horses personally.
AQHA/ABRA/IBHA
Old 01-02-2007, 07:03 PM  
Yearling Member

Kiss of Death here to , or at least in my area.

Im also against linebreeding , but hey I like diversity...

Have you ever seen a gelding better built and more talented then your stud? Then he needs to be a gelding to!
Hola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:09 PM  
Started

That just cracks me up.. Kiss of death....

<Snip.>
AQHA/ABRA/IBHA
Old 01-02-2007, 07:13 PM  
Yearling Member

www.bertonqh.com here's Sir Cool Skip. that stud that i really don't like. if he was a human, he would be a MASSIVE bodybuilder on steroids.
like i said, it's not that i don't like the Impressive line, it's just i don't like how big they can be. an impressive here and there isn't gonna hurt anything, but when they're impressive all the way through, that's when it bothers me. the ones i'm saying that go lame are the ones who are overbred halter (mostly) and it's not just the impressive line, we have a breeding stock mare out of The Classic (Mr. Norfleet x Clipper Classic) and she is HUGE and has really small feet. she's turning in on her front hooves, so we are going to have to get special shoes for her.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:32 PM  
Yearling Member

<Snip.>

I want healthy horses , not a horse with lines prone to somthing as horrific as HYPP.
Personally I wouldnt loose any sleep if people stopped breeding Impressive lines and Poco lines..
When AQHA passed its new rule regarding HYPP I was very thrilled.

The two horses presented are nicely built and would probaly make good show prospects. But not as stallion prospects , there are many better ones out there with color and good pedigree.
Plus keeping geldings are alot easier then stallions...

Have you ever seen a gelding better built and more talented then your stud? Then he needs to be a gelding to!
Hola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:40 PM  
Yearling Member

everyone has their own opinions about Impressive. I personally like the line, but not if it's over bred and i will not own one unless it's a gelding and the test comes out N/N...i was thrilled when i saw an impressive bred horse in the performance ring, i thought it was great that these horses are turning out to be so versatile. Linebacker, it's not that we're not educated, we're just trying to be on the safe side. It's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to running a horse business.
I would agree that they both would do better as geldings. The solid only because he's solid, but is still a show prospect, and i don't think otto is a good stud prospect (no offense).
Old 01-02-2007, 07:43 PM  
Seasoned

Sir Cool Skip, though massive, is really structurally almost perfect. He is large like that mostly because of being HYPP N/H. He's got feet and legs big enough to support his mass, and his foals are getting his perfectly straight legs and decent sized feet, and his head isn't really tiny it's just that he's so massive. I've dealt with a few of the Berton quarter horses, from get and grandget of Sir Raleigh, Imperial Snips and Western Impressive, and the one thing I can say about them is that, for the most part, they are smart, have great dispositions and enough leg and foot to support them.

I don't know WHY they picked that picture of Sir Cool Skip to advertise him, I like the other photo much more, of him back when he was showing. He looks much more balanced.

Of the horses at Berton Quarter horses, though, I like Shanes Bake best (though he IS N/H. ). I think he's correct, and I like the foals he's producing, they are correct as well. Second, I like Cool Stylin Star. He's N/N.

Impressive was originally bred to be a race horse (as was Doc Bar, and we all know he ended up being a halter horse, but then siring cutting and cow horses... go figure!), and so a lot of his get are actually pretty athletic. Personally, if you ask me, the best rope horses are Zan Parr Bar/Two Eyed Jack with some speed thrown in. To me, they are the most consistantly good ropers out there. But heck, that's just me.

Not a fan of N/H horses being bred, mind you. I'm against reproducing the gene that causes HYPP altogether. But folks still do it, and gorgeous ENORMOUS animals are why they do.

And there are few sires that have stood the test of linebreeding. Obviously (via HERDA), Poco Bueno isn't one of them.
Old 01-02-2007, 07:48 PM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hola
<Snip.>

I want healthy horses , not a horse with lines prone to somthing as horrific as HYPP.
Personally I wouldnt loose any sleep if people stopped breeding Impressive lines and Poco lines..

Sorry you feel that way, because I have owned Impressive bred horses and loved them. Its the irresposible breeders breeding the N/H horses that need to stop, but to totally wipe out this line, sorry, is wrong. There have been great Impressive horses and face it, Impressive himself has left his mark on the QH industry.

As for Poco Bueno, I have a Poco Bueno bred horse and he is just fine. From what I have read and what I have seen posted, it is not that common. Its there, but on the norm, the horses are fine.
There was even an article in AQHA book about this.
The breeders who still still breed Poco horses have not had any problems over the many years breeding Poco horses, and still breed them.
I have had many Poco bred horses, my Dad even owned a son to Poco and never once have had any problems. He to has made his mark in the QH industry.

I dont see where saying that all horses bred from these two lines is no good and should stop, because there are many horses that are fine and still competeing in the show world.

As for the rule, that was for N/H horses, not N/N and they will still be bred and should be.

Actually going on 6 years
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:58 PM  
Seasoned

Amen, Snicks.

I'm not talking about all Poco Bueno-bred horses, I'm talking about LINEBRED Poco Bueno-bred horses. The ones that are more prone to HERDA.

I agree, BOTH have more than left their marks on the breed, and produced outstanding individuals that have in turn left THEIR mark on the breed. Impressive was an incredible animal, but I agree that they shouldn't be breeding the N/H horses. They do it because they continue to win, and they really ARE gorgeous animals. It's just an easy way to get the muscling that is so popular in the halter ring.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:13 PM  
Started

[quote="Hola"]<Snip.>
[quote]

<Snip.> Pure and simple. I will put ANY one of my many impressive bred horses against any horse you own, and I would bet dollars to donuts that they are as healthy as anything that you own or anyone you know owns!

AQHA's new rule is only banning H/H horses from being registered as of 2007, it is in no way, shape, or form getting rid of HYPP.

As far as the Poco lines, BOTH parents must have the disease for the foal to show HERDA, they are still doing much research on this, and I am sure much more will be known.

I would also say that many of the more popular horses out there when they are studied will find diseases or faults that are passed on to their get.
AQHA/ABRA/IBHA
Old 01-02-2007, 08:28 PM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miss leanne
I don't know WHY they picked that picture of Sir Cool Skip to advertise him, I like the other photo much more, of him back when he was showing. He looks much more balanced.

Of the horses at Berton Quarter horses, though, I like Shanes Bake best (though he IS N/H. ). I think he's correct, and I like the foals he's producing, they are correct as well. Second, I like Cool Stylin Star. He's N/N.
i agree with you, they shouldn't have picked that picture to advertise him. i'm looking through the past few months AQHA journals, and i didn't see the one of him showing, they have the one of him walking and he looks almost like he has a dished face, but he also looks fit. i also like Shanes Bake, but i think Cool Stylin Star tops my list.
I do not believe that N/H horses should be able to be bred. personal opinion of mine.
There is also the GBED disease. they are sure that is a certain bloodline also, but aren't releasing the name until more research is done.
Linebacker, not saying that your horses aren't healthy. yours are probably in better shape than mine are, but that's because we think of things differently. you're into halter there fore you want to raise the best. i'm into performance, therefore i want to raise the best. the bloodlines we select reflect our interests.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:31 PM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by royaldakotabreez
Linebacker, not saying that your horses aren't healthy. yours are probably in better shape than mine are, but that's because we think of things differently. you're into halter there fore you want to raise the best. i'm into performance, therefore i want to raise the best. the bloodlines we select reflect our interests.
The healthy thing was not to you really, it was a different comment made by someone else on this thread that was just ignorant.

FUNNY you should mention performance.... Our guys offspring are now starting into their performance years... One just took 2nd at the Indiana Futurity in HUS.... another is starting Reining training, both are World Champion Halter horses, the one doing HUS is a 2x Reserve world and a 1x World Champion in halter!

Ironically enough, I would put our stallions movement up against many performance or pleasure bred horses!
AQHA/ABRA/IBHA
Old 01-02-2007, 08:37 PM  
Yearling Member

congrats! i'm happy that your horses are doing so well! i'm sure they will do wonderful against them too. i've already stated that i'm thrilled that halter bred horses are turning out to be all arounds. i think it's great.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice

« amp | Too old? »