Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-2006, 05:24 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act

Thought this might be of interest to some.

http://capwiz.com/avma/issues/alert/?alertid=7130716

Please check it out. It gives some very pertinent facts to think about.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:18 PM  
Yearling Member

I'll freely admit that im pro-slaughter

While I love horses and hate the thought , its a necessary evil.

Have you ever seen a gelding better built and more talented then your stud? Then he needs to be a gelding to!
Hola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:25 PM  
Yearling Member

I agree with the above poster!

Rudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:47 PM  
Bombproof Member

I have to agree as well. Its not the fact of the slaughter, but the inhumane treatment, be it cows, chickens, pigs, etc., etc.

Those who dont know, horses are consider a livestock.
Even tho I would never eat mine or send them to slaughter.

What is going to happen to the excess horses? We are allready flooded with unwanted horses as it is and see no easy answer in sight.
There will be more unwanted horses left in the pastures to starve and be neglected.

IMO before anyone votes to close them, they need to think whats going to happen after.
I know that some of those who vote to close them, will not be there to take the excess horses or give help.

Its a nice thought that no horses will ever go, but in the real world, its not like that.

Yes they cant be hauled over into another country if it passes, but how many illegle things do people do now?

Not an easy answer as I said, but I dont see a better solution by closing them either.

I know there will be people upset with me and may not agree, but thats ok. Thats what makes each of us different in our own unique way.

Ok, off my soap box.

Next.

Actually going on 6 years
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 08:59 PM  
Bombproof Member

Trust me they will still end up in other countries. Several of the haulers I know already have plans in place to get horses into Canada. Can't haul them but you can still drive them. Bet you never knew we had "wild" horses in northern Minnesota did you? If this bill passes we will have herds of them as will North Dakota and several other northern border states.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:03 PM  
Yearling Member

That'll be an interesting site..

while herding horses isnt diffecult , trying to herd horses who most likely have never met until that day would be very very hard.
I personally think the driveing idea is a joke , a good portion of horses that go to slaughter wouldnt make a 20 mile walk , let alone a herd pace..

What you will end up seeing is feral horses in states where they just couldnt make it.

Have you ever seen a gelding better built and more talented then your stud? Then he needs to be a gelding to!
Old 11-02-2006, 09:04 PM  
Started

It's not so much about being pro-slaughter as being against the alternatives. I'm against the slaughter of all animals (at least the inhumane aspect of it, not neccessarily the use of their products by humans), but until there are viable alternatives, I say don't let this bill pass.
almost_mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:07 PM  
Bombproof Member

I'm all for the existence of these places, but would also prefer to see some improvements to the regulations on shipping and treatment of the horses in their final days.

Use of the double-decker transports and the inhumane holding pens for the waiting period to make sure that wormers and antibiotics have cleared the system, really should be ended.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:10 AM  
Pasture Pet

We have had this discussion many times before - and the issue is those who oppose are not those who will give homes to these unfortunate animals. What happens to the crippled and unusuable when there is no one to care for them? Is being left to slowly starve to death in a field the "humane" way to let them die naturally"? I think not!

Just as we would all love to see the euthanization of dogs and cats ended, realistically it is not going to happen. Education has not succeeded in increasing the number of spays and nueters for small animals, it is sure not going to end the over-breeding of bad horses, or deal with the issue of injured or unwanted equines.

I too agree that slaughter has it's place - I also strongly believe that what we need is not a ban, but better, and enforcable, regulations concerning the humane treatment of all animals intended for slaughter... cattle, pigs, horses, chickens, etc...

*Steps off soapbox and joins Snickers and others for coffee*

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:51 AM  
Started

Why does it seem that the most uneducated people get to make the laws? What do they know about livestock/horses? I wonder if they will open up their homes to all the dying/neglected horses?

Maybe we can start a petition to keep all the plants open and maybe have more of them so the animals don't have to go through 100 auctions until they get there.

Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people. W.C.Fields
Touche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:00 AM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
while herding horses isnt diffecult , trying to herd horses who most likely have never met until that day would be very very hard.
I personally think the driveing idea is a joke , a good portion of horses that go to slaughter wouldnt make a 20 mile walk , let alone a herd pace..
It's already being done to some extent and the plans are all set up if this bill does pass. Call it what you want but I know for a fact that it will be done. Those who can't make the walk will most likely not be bought by shippers anymore, they will be left to suffer at the sales barns or in backyards.

A fool says what they know, a wise person knows what they say.

Old 11-03-2006, 07:05 AM  
Pasture Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touche
Why does it seem that the most uneducated people get to make the laws? What do they know about livestock/horses? I wonder if they will open up their homes to all the dying/neglected horses?

Maybe we can start a petition to keep all the plants open and maybe have more of them so the animals don't have to go through 100 auctions until they get there.
Be glad to help you on this. I equate those you sign the anti-slaughter bill in the same catagory as those who are against hunting - they have no idea what will happen to these animals, but congratulate themselves on having done a "good deed", and after the ink dries, just walk away. Informed decision making on any issue does not seem to be the norm anymore! How sad!

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:16 AM  
Yearling Member

A good portion of horses that go to slaughter , that could make the trip are not going to make it easy to be drove there.
I can't see how driveing them up would be cost effectivce , gotta figure cost hay , human food , fines for damageing others property..

Im trying to see your/their side , but its not adding up in my head right...

Old 11-03-2006, 07:37 AM  
ron
Started

easy Hola.....supply and demand

approx 80,000 horses go to slaughter every year

now if there is no slaughter owners will want to get rid of unwanted horses.

if no one wants them, the kill buyers will still buy them. At current price, less the additional cost for transportation.

if plants are paying .65 now....the kill buyers pay .30-.40 max.
when you add in the higher costs of transportation they will simply begin paying .10-.20 max

people who are trying to dump the unwanted horses will still let them go because they want them out of their feed trough and not costing money.

it's a sad state of affairs when petaphiles wo claim to be the saviours of animals can place enough pressure on government to cause so many horses so much more pain and misery traveling outside of the country to meet their final destination.

A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:55 AM  
Pasture Pet

Hola there is a lot of very open country down our way and I can see horses being run across the border into Mexico-poor guys. No help for animal rights down there.
Heck every night there are hundreds of people and flowing across there. The southern border is "static" to say the least.
I am still waiting for someone to come up with my euthenising agent that puts the horse down painlessly and then is safely removed so the horses can be buried or processed for pet food. Anyone here a Chemistry major?
One of the reasons some places do not want horses buried after euthenasia is that the chemicals are released into the dirt and eventually the ground water. SO come up with a new chemical agent. That way folks can have an ifirm or unwanted horse euthenised and buried or taken to a local landfill[illegal now,for the above reason]
Old 11-03-2006, 07:59 AM  
Bombproof Member

The majority of the border between Canada and Minnesota/North Dakota is either state/national forest with many logging roads running through or CRP land.

Kill buyers that come to the sales barns in my area are starting to refuse to buy certain horses. Pretty much anything that isn't worth anything. Many are being "given" to the kill buyers just so they don't stay at the sales barn because no one will buy them.

The drives will happen if this passes. Not that I want to do it but we have already been asked to help. Don't worry I wouldn't be stupid enough to use my own horse or equiptment. These horses wouldn't be driven very far, just far enough to get over the boarder.

Correct me if I'm wrong but haven't they been doing this for years along the Texas border with stolen horses?

Old 11-03-2006, 08:19 AM  
Pasture Pet

Heck they haven't needed to-they just drive them down. They do not much care what goes INTO the country. That border is a giant sieve. hundreds of miles to choose from.
Stolen cars arund here have a few hours to be spotted before they are gone for good.
I am looking forward to that fence going up for many reasons
Old 11-03-2006, 08:40 AM  
Long Yearling

Horse Slaughter

If people stopped breeding unregistered or to be honest horses that really dont need to be bred because of temperament or looks just because they want a baby to play with then maybe the slaughterhouses wouldnt have any horses to slaughter. That is my outlook on this situation. We need to look at the root of the problem. I go to the auctions to buy tack and see so many horses that im sure were accidents or the result of inbreeding and stupid owners. Sorry I sound so angry I am on the fence about this situation because I love horses so much I dont want to see them slaughtered. I also dont want to see them left out in pastures to suffer years of abuse and neglect if they arent sent to the slaughterhouse. I guess there is no easy decision or answer to this problem. My husband is a farrier and we see so many people that barely want to do hoof care once a year much less spend 200 dollars to put an old infirm animal to sleep or buy it medication. By the way I bought the horse(my baby) in my avatar at an auction so you can understand why this situation upsets me so much. I cant bear to think of what he could have suffered.

"To many, the words love, hope, and dreams are synonymous with horses" - Anonymous
ilovepaints1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:58 AM  
ron
Started

yes, but you can not legislate stupidity

A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 09:05 AM  
Long Yearling

Unfortunately what Ron says is true

"To many, the words love, hope, and dreams are synonymous with horses" - Anonymous
ilovepaints1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice