Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2006, 08:04 AM  
Kid Safe

Rear shoes on a pastured horse.

I've always been told you shouldn't shoe a horse in the rear if the horse is turned out in pasture with a herd. What do you all think? I have a gelding who's wearing his feet incorrectly in the back and he slips a lot when I ride him because of this. My farrier recommends shoes. But...my gelding is alpha in a field of four! What should I do? Oh, he can't be moved from this particular field and I don't want to put him anywhere by himself. My horses are pastured 24/7.

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

www.goatsandsoaps.com for all your Boer goat and bath soap needs.
Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:10 AM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
Is he kicking the crap out of the other horses? IF not I have rear shoes on two of mine that are pastured. I find they do more damage on a regular basis with their teeth than their hooves.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:11 AM  
Greenbroke Member

My concern would be the safety of my other "non-alpha" horses. Being kicked by a horse with "shoes" could be deadly. I wouldn't shoe him unless I could put him by himself.

Peace!! I wish the people of the world could get along as well as the animals in my backyard.
crittermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:13 AM  
Started

I've had shod animals together in pastures for years. It does seem like they're more liable to be bitten. i guess I'd never even thought about it being a problem but I guess if you have one that really kicks alot it could be.
Mule Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 08:18 AM  
Kid Safe

shoes

So, tell me the difference between getting kicked without shoes on and then with shoes on. Seems to me that it would hurt like the dickens no matter what!

That being said, the herd is well-established and he's only kicked at the new colt who had to be removed from the field.

"Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it all... you just might get it all, and then some you don't want." Chris Daughtery

Old 07-06-2006, 08:54 AM  
Long Yearling

after seeing the damage done from kicks with shoes and without, mine is without(all around) The others are shod front only. The lowest guy in the bunch is shod all around but he is evented and the owner only has his back done a week before each event. I have seen two horses get kicked by a shod horse and end up with broken legs. Whether it was due to the shoes or not, I dont know. But one mare had studs and the geldings leg was shattered
RhettsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:11 AM  
Started

oveywon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:39 AM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
The force of the kick is no different but the nail heads tend to tear flesh easier. IF you look at a bare foot and a shod foot the surface is actually larger on a shod foot than it is on a barefoot. IMO it's not whether or not they have shoes on it's how agressive they are and how good their aim is. Obviously anytime a horse gets kicked full force in a leg or on a protruding bone it's going to do more damage than on a large muscle area.
I only use plain shoes, no rims or studs or clips. Obviously they would tend to do a whole lot more damage than plain shoes.

More important would be making sure that your intended herd gets along and that they have enough space to get away from each other. I won't own a horse that can't play nice and is overly aggresive without cause.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 10:36 AM  
Pasture Pet

It is kind of like the difference between being hit open palm or hit with a fist.
That metal is hard,and it does do a lot more damage.
I have no idea what you should do..sorry
Old 07-06-2006, 10:58 AM  
Yearling Member

Send a message via MSN to pauldonnelly Send a message via Yahoo to pauldonnelly
heres the difference let me kick you with a bare foot or tennis shoes

then let me put steel toed boots on and kick you and then you will see there is a huge difference
Old 07-06-2006, 11:13 AM  
Seasoned

My Mom's horses are shod on all four. She has three horses and they are turned out in the pasture with no ill effects in going on six years?
Imo it's a personal preference. Everyone has a good or bad opinon on this subject.
cook1745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 01:43 PM  
Pasture Pet

Our roping geldings were always turned out together with all four feet shod - but they knew each other and were super pasture mates...our mares, a different story - no way would I shoe the back feet on several of them as they would probably hurt the others..we also will not allow shod mares in for breeding to our stallions - front feet maybe if they really need it - but no back shoes...been around horses way too long to take the chance. you can still get hurt with bare feet, but you will probably get seriously hurt with shod feet!

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
gbarmranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 02:10 PM  
Kid Safe

shoes

Funny thing is, I told all this to my farrier and I definitely would never turn out mares shod all the way around. In fact, unless absolutely necessary, I probably wouldn't shoe the mares at all! However, there is some growth in the back feet on this gelding that needs to be fixed. I don't know. The herd is well-established and he doesn't kick now, but that doesn't mean he couldn't be out there kicking someone as I'm typing this!

I HATE when a solution isn't obvious!

Old 07-06-2006, 06:00 PM  
Pasture Pet

My former trainer lost his competition mount when she was kicked in the head by a shod horse. THe vet felt 99% that the mare would not have died if the horse had been barefoot. THe sad thing is that the entire thing was seen by staff, and the horse appeared to just be kicking a fly, but the other mare was up close grazing and got booted instead. That barn now only allows horses shod behind to go in seperate pens.

I recently had a boarder want to put hind shoes on her big TB gelding. I explained to her that I would not allow him to go out in the group if she did, as he does goof around and kick. I am not sure what I am going to do when we get more competitive and the horses do need back shoes for competing on grass....I don't want to have all the horses penned up seperately!

Karen2
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 07:20 PM  
Kid Safe

shoes

Therein lies the problem! He needs shoes, the other guys need a pasture. We're not at the point where we have enough pasture to go around. I guess this is one of the reasons people keep their horses stalled 24/7. I don't want to lose one of my guys because of an accidental kicking. So, no hind shoes for him. I'll just have to teach him to turn less sharply so less sliding will occur.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 07-06-2006, 07:25 PM  
Coming two

I like the terminolgy my farrier used. "Get a good right hook from a boxer... it hurts, but it's got give. Get an iffy right hook from a boxer with a set of brass knuckles in his fist, you're out like a light. "

It is a difficult situation. I only shod my horses front feet because I have three mares that live together and sometimes they fight like sisters > But with your gelding needing the shoes, I don't see any other way to do it except separate them. But in my expirience, if he's got friends there... he's not going to like being separated at all.

Aahh the joy of living with horses Sorry I can't be of more help Range
Old 07-06-2006, 08:50 PM  
Long Yearling

Wow, never thought about this before. Pick is the only one with all four shoes on (Smokeless has fronts for medical reasons, otherwise all the rest are barefoot) but he needs shoes so he can be ridden in a rocks that grow here. Just another thing to worry about I guess.

But thanks for bringing this up, not something that had occured to me before.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice