Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2006, 09:32 AM  
Long Yearling

Apricot tree, and lilac bushes ok in the pasture?

hello everyone!!! well, as most of you know if you've read any of my posts lately, my husband and i just bought an acerage. i was wondering the area that we are going to fence in, has a big lilac bush, and an apricot tree. are either or both of those ok to be in the pasture. they would be the only source of shade, unless we built a lean-to or something. and they are old, so i would like to leave them. but i just wanted to make sure it is ok. i am assuming my horse isn't going to try and gobble up the apricots, especially if once i know they are falling off of the tree, i go pick them up. and i wanted to make sure lilac bushes aren't like, poisonous or something, just in case she were to eat the leaves. thanks much!!!

<title edited to remove unnecessary question marks. Please remember to use proper punctuation and capitalization in your posts.>
Luv2Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:11 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Location: Clyde, NC > 9 miles of friendly people, plus 1 old crab
I don't know about lilac, but I asume apricots are okay. In my paddocks, Press has pears, apples, plums. Its a smoresgaboard(spelling??)My husband thought she was chewing on rocks, but it was the plums, their not quite ready yet. I would have to ask my husband he's know the trees press is not suppose to eat.Be right back

Support the wild horses on North Carolina Outer Banks
http://www.corollawildhorses.com/
Kelly4NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:33 AM  
Greenbroke Member

I'm pretty clueless on this, but I would be concerned that my horse would eat the apricot pits. I know nothing about lilacs. Hopefully someone who is into horticulture will see this and respond.

Peace!! I wish the people of the world could get along as well as the animals in my backyard.
crittermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 11:04 AM  
Bombproof Member

My pasture has a big old lilac bush that butts up against the fence. My horses can reach it, but I've never seen them eat it.
Old 07-04-2006, 12:33 PM  
Long Yearling

Hi there! I do not have a lilac tree in jazzys pasture, but there is a huge hedge(like a horseshoe shape) of lilac bushes right by my tack room and where I climb up into her saddle. She has taken a bite of leaves from it when my back has been briefly turned and she seems to spit it out more than really eat it! And she has done it a few times and she has been ok! I hope it is not harmful to her......take care and I will keep watching your post to see what folks are saying about lilacs!

"There is no seceret closer than the one shared between rider and horse."
www.rockymountainridingservices.webs.com
cowgirlmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:18 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via MSN to beth55051 Send a message via Yahoo to beth55051
Well I really hope lilac's arn't poisonous to horses. I have one mare who makes a beeline right to my really big old lilac bush whenever I let her out in the back yard to graze. She mostly enjoys the good belly scratch she gets from it but also munches quite a bit on the leaves. I can't say that I've noticed any ill effects on her from them but then she is a bit ditzy to begin with.

If at the end of the day, all you have left is your integrity and honor. Then hold your head up, because that's more than most have.
beth55051 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:50 PM  
Started

oveywon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:59 PM  
Long Yearling

WOW you guys!! thanks so much for all of this info!!! i really appreciate it!!!! feel free to continue to post if anybody has additional info.
Old 07-04-2006, 08:35 PM  
Kid Safe

If the tree is in the pasture and the horse is turned out most every day, there shouldn't be enough fallen fruit to cause laminitis in a healthy horse. But, if he has any conditions that predispose him to laminitis, there might be a problem. Also, if he isn't turned out for a few days, there could be enough fallen fruit to contribute to laminitis or colic, so if he is away from the tree for awhile during bearing season, go pick up the excess fruits before turning him out. This is true of almost any fruit tree, apples, plums, pears, etc.

Also, as with cherry and maple trees, if there is a storm you will need to pick up any lost branches that have leaves on them, as they can become toxic when stressed or wilted.

I can't find anything about lilacs being poisonous either.

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 08:38 PM  
Bombproof Member

Lilacs are fine, not toxic to horses. Apricots, what oveywon said.

I would suggest fencing around the apricot tree if you want to keep it, and putting up a run-in for your horse - lilac bushes and an apricot tree will not provide sufficient shelter for her in an Iowa winter.

Careful what you wish; Careful what you say; Careful what you wish; You may regret it; Careful what you wish; You just might get it. ~ Metallica, King Nothing
Orchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 10:18 PM  
Yearling Member

Horses are pretty smart, I used to own an Arabian who loved apricots and nectarines. She just gobbled them up and spit out the pits! I am not sure about the lilacs, but some trees fruit may be ok for the horse to eat (if he does) while the leaves or bark could poison him, hopefully some one can help ya!

C\'mon Merikle...Heal That Darn Corneal Ulcer!!! Shows coming up...Are we ready?
Merikle Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 01:24 AM  
Yearling Member

If I remember correctly, you are the lady with the pygmy goats. Your goats will eat both the apricot tree and the lilac bush, they won't survive long enough to cause a horse a problem. If you want them to survive, keep them out of the pasture. I f you really want trees in a pasture that has goats in it there are things you can do, but they are a lot of work.
pennyrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:23 AM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchid
Lilacs are fine, not toxic to horses. Apricots, what oveywon said.

I would suggest fencing around the apricot tree if you want to keep it, and putting up a run-in for your horse - lilac bushes and an apricot tree will not provide sufficient shelter for her in an Iowa winter.

well, we have a barn that will have a paddock around it. so they will not be out in this pasture all of the time. they have a huge stall that they will be able to go in and out of at free will. except at night we will put them in.

thanks so much for all of this info you guys!!![/quote]
Old 07-05-2006, 08:27 AM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyrain
If I remember correctly, you are the lady with the pygmy goats. Your goats will eat both the apricot tree and the lilac bush, they won't survive long enough to cause a horse a problem. If you want them to survive, keep them out of the pasture. I f you really want trees in a pasture that has goats in it there are things you can do, but they are a lot of work.

yes, i am the one that is getting pygmy goats. GREAT memory!!!! i have decided to keep the goats in a different spot, and not in with the horses. they have their horns, and some people have told me that they could accidentally horn my pony in the ribs. and so i decided it best to just keep them seperate. i really appreciate all of this input though!!! i love this forum!!
Old 07-06-2006, 09:52 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Location: Clyde, NC > 9 miles of friendly people, plus 1 old crab
Yeah I have a huge maple tree that provides my horse with shelter, But everyday I have to go pick up the little berries and such. I would take it down but its old and its the only shade for her. I also have cherry bushes but she doesn't go near those, their in the winter pasture. I also heard that the yellow buttercups in the grass are toxic, but horses won't eat it unles they are starvin.

Support the wild horses on North Carolina Outer Banks
http://www.corollawildhorses.com/
Kelly4NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2006, 05:29 PM  
Yearling Member

I know the lilac bushes are no problem. My appy likes to back into the darn thing up to her jaw and she stands there and groans and sighs while moving around scratching herself. Dang I need to get a picture of that for you.

She also eats on it all the time. She doesn't do it consintly but as shes walking by she rips off a branch and munches away.

In the pic on my avatar is the lilac bush straight on from the south behind the paint filly. Its about thirty feet long and stands about 15 plus feet at its highest point, and go figure, it makes me sneeze and itch when it blooms.

Funny thing between my horses in north dakota nd my grandmothers in california. MY horses totaly ingrone pine trees, but hers will completly eat one to a nub. wierd.
theloneappy is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice