Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 08:33 AM  
Bombproof Member

What can you do to help..Sheldon Mustangs in jeopardy

We need your voice.

These horses are under US Fish & WIldlife Service and are heading to slaughter.

These horses are the ones I got in back in 2004 and where I got Pie from.
They are not protected as BLM horses are, therefore they are not branded.
The woman I delt with was given so much BS on the care of the horses after round-up that she stepped down and took another job.

I understand we cannot save them all, but it is beyond my imagination why they would send mares in foal, with foal, to slaughter.

In 2004, they gave the horses away, not they are working through 3 adoption centers, 2 are under investigation for sending horses to slaughter.
These adoption centers get them free.

The governor of CA., has stepped in.

Please, e-mail your senators, governors as well as the White House in protest of this.

I am sure they can find homes for these horses.

Thank you to all ahead of time.

Subject: News Brief: Sheldon update

Many of you have inquired about the status of the Sheldon round-up denounced in last week's alert. Despite Fish and Wildlife Service (FWS) being inundated with calls and emails protesting its plan, it went ahead with the round-up on Monday and Tuesday: 304 horses were captured, including heavily pregnant mares (some foaling at the round-up site) and orphan foals, some only days old.

Please note however that your efforts were not in vain: FWS is facing a massive public outcry; the media has picked up on the story; two federal legislators sent stern letters of protest; and Governor Schwarzenegger even contacted Nevada authorities to inquire about the matter. The fact is that, over the past year, wild horse advocates have generally been recognized in Washington D.C. as the most efficient grassroots group. This was confirmed again just recently by several Members of Congress to the Institute for a Democratic Future, who called us to congratulate wild horse advocates on their grassroots efforts.

So please do not let placating responses from government officials shake your confidence. FWS staffers have been very diligent in responding to concerned citizens. Unfortunately, they are not doing so in an honest, truthful manner, spreading lies and misinforming the public. We would like to take this opportunity to address some of their statements:

- Brian Day, Manager of the Sheldon Refuge, has been telling people that FWS gets contacted by slaughter plants to go and claim any Sheldon horses that may find their way there. As Sheldon horses are not branded and therefore untraceable, this seemed like an odd claim. When questioned about it, another FWS staffer admitted that this was erroneous.
- Mr. Day is also claiming that June is not the height of foaling season at Sheldon. However, he presents no data to verify what would be a very odd foaling pattern limited to the Sheldon Refuge. In fact, a 2002 report by a Sheldon Refuge biologist states that horse population samplings on Sheldon are done no sooner than the end of July, to wait until most of the mares have foaled.
- FWS staffers are also claiming that no foals were ever harmed in a Sheldon round-up. Again, this is not accurate: eye-witnesses to last August's round-up reported that at least two foals were badly injured (see picture at http://wildhorsepreservation.com/res...juredFoal.html), and that at least two mares aborted their foals. And that was after the height of foaling season.
- FWS also claims that horses are damaging the range, but fails to provide any data separating the impact of horses from the impact of other grazing animals on the Refuge, including pronghorn antelope, an animal highly prized by the powerful hunting lobby.
- FWS insists on removing wild horses as a non-native species, despite recent scientific findings <http://www.wildhorsepreservation.com/resources/native.html> showing them as having originated in North America. Interestingly enough, pheasants and chuckers are not considered native wildlife either, yet are maintained at the Refuge for hunters' enjoyment.
- Faced with valid, serious questions about the adopting agents it selected, FWS expressed no interest in investigating the matter further. Some of our supporters were told that the highly controversial agent whose address is a "Grand Central Station" for slaughter would only be receiving a couple of horses, when in fact about seventy horses were left in his possession today.
- Finally, FWS disputes that its plan is to round-up 1,200 horses; yet, its official long-term plan is to reduce the Refuge's estimated 1,200 horse herd to as few as 75 horses. Actually, the minutes of a March 7, 2006 meeting between FWS and its adopting agents document FWS' real intent: to round up 300 horses each year "UNTIL ALL HORSES ARE GONE" approximately by year 2012.

These public servants' salaries are paid by our tax-dollars. The least they owe us is the truth. Please alert the media <http://newslink.org> and your federal legislators <http://www.congress.org> .

On behalf of the horses, thank you for your support.

The AWHPC Team
American Wild Horse Preservation Campaign
www.wildhorsepreservation.org <http://www.wildhorsepreservation.org>

Actually going on 6 years
Old 06-27-2006, 09:46 AM  
Long Yearling

hey snickers!!! i just got done sending a letter via e-mail to the nevada governor, and (i live in iowa) so i also sent a letter to our 2 senators. thanks for letting us know!!!!!!
Old 06-27-2006, 10:04 AM  
Weanling Member

I can tell you that when they rounded them up last week, there were no casualties, there was one foal about 3 months old that was injured and has been given to a couple that took the foal to the vet and is now caring for it...it wil be fine. There were no newborn foals or mares that were close to foaling. The roundup went well...approx 300 horses were gathered.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:01 PM  
Bombproof Member

Luvnhrses,

Re-read, it says last August, 05, when the foals were hurt.

I have to say I disagree on the mares in foal.

They are stating that they are done foaling, wrong.

We had mares foaling from the load I got in at different times. I had a mare come in that foaled right after the round-up in October, and delivered to me as an orphan, but found Momma after they unloaded.
They come in heat all the time and some mares do get bred at any time.

This is true, they are selling them to slaughter, because I have a few contacts still in USFWS, and 2 of the adoption centers are under investigation.

I am assuming you were there?

I was told no one could go on the round ups when we were going to travel to help and pick up a load.

I do know first hand what was transpiring when the lady I worked with was in there and why she is not in there now.

It has been going around on other forums as well as LRTC campaining for the horses.

So, from, you might as well say, the horses mouth, I know, they are up to something.

Old 06-27-2006, 05:14 PM  
Coming two

Snickers are you going to be getting another load of Mustangs in? I'm sure you wouldn't have a problem finding homes for them.

I'll try to email the IL senator and the indiana one too.

Appaloosa--brains, looks, and temperment all in one
Old 06-27-2006, 05:31 PM  
Weanling Member

snickers, I am talking about the roundup they had last week.. a woman from a mustang group was there on vacation at the roundup site when the horses were rounded up. She saw it 1st hand this year, she planned her vacation around the roundup so she could see for herself what went on. She is very well know for standing up for the mustangs and she had nothing but good things to say about the roundup...it was no different then the blm rounding up the horses, in fact the same contractor that does the roundups for the blm did this one....if you want to read it yourself goto the Mustangs group on Yahoo....under the Sheldon Herd topic....It is what happened this year..
Old 06-27-2006, 05:38 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Okay, I sent some emails, to Fish and Wild Life, The Alabama Governer. Here is hoping that all this publicity will help the situation. Is there anything else that can be done?

There is no such thing as a always or never in the horse world. Say that one time and some horse some where will prove you wrong!.
Old 06-27-2006, 05:48 PM  
Bombproof Member

Thats good to see, but yes, it is different than BLM round-ups. They use horses and not helicopters. I have been told that.

I have also received in injured horses the first load of Sheldon horses.

I have been reading whats on the internet and went farther and did my own investigation and called people I know in USFWS and BLM, and got the same story.

They are up to something on selling the horses to slaughter.

I have talked to Sally at BLM and she has confirmed that things are going on with the Sheldon horses.

The biggest topic is the slaughter.

There are 2 of the adoption centers under invetigation.

This is to make aware that something needs to be done to protect these horses like the BLM. There are other wild horses and ponies that are not protected as well.

I would not be fighting to help them if I have not delt first hand on the Sheldon horses.

EIEIO,
Thank you. I e-mailed my Senator, Governor, State Rep. and the President.

I have seen where other people have sent in as well.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:38 PM  
Yearling Member

You bet I'll write..... and I have LOTS of practice from rescuing elephants. I'm on a first name basis with my one state senator because I've made such a pest out of myself.
Has anyone contacted newspapers in the area(s)? I will also mention this to my ele rescue group and am sure some of them will write also. Many are big horse lovers and ALL of us hate to see any animal mistreated, much less slaughtered.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:43 PM  
Long Yearling

Okey dokey....count me as in. I've just finished emailing everyone I can in my state and the White House included. Now I'm going to start sending emails to friends around the country.

Someone rounding up those horses including in foal and with new foals just burns my butt to no end. Good lord but I'm....for lack of a better word, pissed!!!! I hope that's not out of line but I'm so mad I could spit nails!!!

Jeanne
Old 06-27-2006, 09:34 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Send a message via AIM to OSUJillyBean
Re: What can you do to help..Sheldon Mustangs in jeopardy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickers
The governor of CA., has stepped in.
Huzzah for the governator!

But seriously - my heart is out to those poor creatures.

"And speaking of Italy and sports cars that I stole there, you still owe me a yellow Porsche." — Alice Cullen
Old 06-27-2006, 10:38 PM  
Yearling Member

Snickers....I just got done emailing to the President and senators. ( I had to figure out how to do it at first though) That just make me feel real sad that stuff like this goes on here. I can't believe that it is'nt already banned! Thank you for letting us know. Hopefully it will end.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:53 AM  
Yearling Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KJUN
I just noticed the thread here this am as I am ahead of time then you all over here in Germany I will research as much info as I can and FIND as many emails for White house Governor and all and I will send out emails as well I already have my governors email addy and the governors email addy of Louisiana Not sure if they can help but I will sure give it a try ANY HELP IS BETTER THEN NONE...
DID I read something here wrong about it is all ok for what is happening to these horses???? If I did then please excuse me and IF I didn't then NO this is not alright To slaughter horses pregnant foals or any others...This may sound lame and stupid on my part BUT would it be ok to slaughter humans if there were to many on the earth???? Althoug it might be a plan for the bad people murderers child rapist and all of those LOL OK I will shut up now

If anyone has info that I can have to email and what not please send to me I will do all that I can from Overseas

THANKS
KJUN (karen)
Old 06-28-2006, 10:27 AM  
Yearling Member

Kjun...Im confused ( does'nt take much to confuse me) but who here wrote that it was okay to slaughter horses??
Old 06-28-2006, 10:35 AM  
Yearling Member

Send a message via Yahoo to KJUN
I am always confused LOL
That is why I said...Did I read something wrong but somewhere I read someone was PRO slaughter or something and so I asked if I read it wrong I am researching and so is my mother to help out with emails and all to try to get help
KJUN

Old 06-28-2006, 12:09 PM  
Weanling Member

Ok, here I am with my foot in my mouth What I originally posted was incorrect and there were orphan foals that were found on thursday..some where dead and some were near death...The people that were at the roundup site were lied to by these people...once again, sorry for the mis post, I really didn't mean to step on any toes..Snickers I know you are doing alot for these horses please don't hold what was post against me...I really like this site and would hate to think that people think I am on the wrong side of the fence....
Old 06-28-2006, 12:19 PM  
Long Yearling

when you say "orphan foals" is that because there mother's died in the round-up??????? i am just disgusted by all of this. can someone tell me, unless no one wants to post specifics, what on earth do they do to these horses that causes casualties?? is it because they run them too hard and the foals can't keep up????? i am just not real knowledgale about all of this. but i stand by you and like i posted earlier, i sent some e-mails yesterday to my senators. i am thinking i just might send some more though.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:30 PM  
Weanling Member

Here is what is being sent to the mustang groups....From what I have found out this morning, it is true...

Sheldon Fish and Wildlife Service Runs Foals to Exhaustion and Leaves them to Die in the Desert.
27 June, 2006
By: Valerie James Patton, Susan Pohlman, and John Holland

On June 6th, the Special Research Group exposed a plan formulated by the Fish and Wildlife Service to eliminate the Sheldon range wild horses and pay “mass adopters” $300 a horse to take them. The report showed that one of the adopters was operating out of a stockyard used almost exclusively as a transshipment point for horses going to slaughter. The report went on to denounce the plans of FWS to hold a helicopter gather in mid-June which is the height of foaling season in that region.

The Fish and Wildlife Service responded to the massive public outcry, which included congressmen and even California Governor Schwarzenegger, by giving false assurances to all who inquired. Among other falsehoods, they stated that the foaling season was long over and that all the foals were at least three months old. Project manager Paul Steblein assured the public that they had done a helicopter survey and found all the foals in the refuge were at least three or four months old. The impossibility of such an assessment from the air was not lost on the horse advocates nor was the biological improbability. Their doubts and worst fears were soon to be justified.

Realizing that the gather could be a tremendous public relations debacle, the FWS took extra precautions. These were not precautions to assure the safety of the foals, but precautions to assure that their fate would never be known. New gates were added, armed law enforcement agents were posted, and the public was kept back two miles from the holding pens. Then, a few concerned citizens were allowed just enough of a carefully staged view of the captured horses to lend credence to the assertions of the Fish and Wildlife Service. It was masterful stage craft to cover institutionalized callousness and cruelty of breathtaking dimensions.

The gather, was done on Tuesday, June 20th. Immediately after the gather, FWS announced that all the foals had arrived with their mothers, and that none had been hurt. But almost immediately, a foal was trampled in the pens and had to be taken away for medical care. The assertion that all of the foals had arrived safely with their mothers was belied by the fact that 16 to 18 of the mares showed signs of recently giving birth but had no foals with them.

FWS went on to say that only one adult horse had a minor injury. But there were horse advocates who knew better because they had listened to the radio communications between the FWS and the crews in the field as they discussed what to do with a horse with a broken leg. The decision had been made to shoot it.

The lies had only begun. The story of the lost foals began unfolding even as FWS personnel were busily cleaning up a stream of aborted foals from the mares in the holding pens. By Monday, the 26th, nine foals had either died at birth or been aborted in the pens, but there was worse news to come.

Thursday, stories began trickling into the Sheldon office of foals abandoned on the refuge and dying of exposure and dehydration. A rescue mission was launched on Friday. The Catoor’s helicopter returned to the puzzlement of some uninformed onlookers, and an air ground search was made. To some it was a mission to rescue the foals, but to FWS it was more likely a mission to rescue the illusion of their humane gather. According to reports, by the end of the day, eight foals had been found. Five were dead and three were clinging onto life. It is reported that Fran Steffan (Forever Free Mustangs) took these foals to get veterinary care and that they are expected to recover.

As if all of this were not ****ing enough, the FWS announced that they are still planning to give Gary Graham, the agent that operates out of a slaughter yard, “a few” horses. “A few” turns out to be Sixty Two! Where will these horses go? If the answer is the Los Lunas stockyard of killer buyer Dennis Chavez, their ordeal has only begun. Horse stockyards are notorious for the diseases they harbor and there can be no doubt that the Sheldon horses, lacking exposure to these diseases, will be infected in a matter of days.

Mustang advocates have long decried BLM’s decimation of wild herds with little or no justification, but nothing even remotely like the Sheldon foal massacre has ever been documented. To date, nine foals died or were aborted in the pens and about fifteen foals were probably left to die a slow death in the high desert. Three of these foals survived days of abandonment, and one foal that arrived with the adults survived trampling in the pens. There are still many pregnant mares and foals under a month of age in the crowded pens awaiting their fate. But why?

Sheldon management has given a variety of improbable reasons for their obsession with eliminating their wild horse population. At first they said they competed with the pronghorn antelope and sage grouse, but when an FWS study was cited that concluded there was no adverse relationship between these species they changed their justification to the fact that the horses were damaging the water resources. This was never established in any scientific way (the last Environmental Assessment having been done in 1980 when cattle were wallowing in the streams and ponds) and has been highly contested by experts in wild horse behavior.

Whatever the reason, the FWS has invented a plan that uses taxpayer dollars to encourage people to take large numbers of the wild horses, while prohibiting individual or small adoptions. The result will be that people like Graham will take the money and the horses will pay the price.

We may never know the true reason for the Sheldon management’s inhumane war on our wild horses. What we do know is they are government employees charged with protecting our common heritage, and that when challenged they came back with a clear answer that they do not work for us and they will do what they very well please!

You can take action by contacting the US Fish and Wildlife service, your senators and congress people.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:35 PM  
Pasture Pet

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvnhrses
Ok, here I am with my foot in my mouth What I originally posted was incorrect and there were orphan foals that were found on thursday..some where dead and some were near death...The people that were at the roundup site were lied to by these people...once again, sorry for the mis post, I really didn't mean to step on any toes..Snickers I know you are doing alot for these horses please don't hold what was post against me...I really like this site and would hate to think that people think I am on the wrong side of the fence....
you can only report what you thought, at the time was true - and that person gave you what they thought was correct for information. I doubt anyone will be angry with you, but someone in the governement should be held accountable for this!!!! It is inexcusable and totally outrageous for any animal to be treated this wat!

If you believe what you like in the Gospel, and reject what you don't like, it is not the Gospel you believe, but yourself." Augustine of Hippo
Old 06-28-2006, 01:14 PM  
Bombproof Member

Luv, dont worry. Not a problem.
We all go by what we are told.

USFWS is under heavy investigation and they have a public outcry against them. It will come down to those in office there either stepping down or being fired.

We can unite and stop this.
Thats why I posted.

Thank you for posting that information, you have helped as well.

Closed Thread

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice