Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2006, 03:12 PM  
Yearling Member

What Age Should You Geld Your Colt?

For all those people out there who own a colt, or many.
What age do you prefer or think is the best age to geld at?

C\'mon Merikle...Heal That Darn Corneal Ulcer!!! Shows coming up...Are we ready?
Merikle Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:09 PM  
Yearling Member

I had my boy gelded at 10 months. He's sweet and never acted study, but was showing too much interest in my mare (His Momma)and I figured better get it done before he gets any ideas. The procedure was quick, simple and we didn't have any complications. I now have a sweet yearling gelding!
He's the baby in my avatar.
carlagsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:13 PM  
Coming two

My four year old gelding I had done at 18 months, even then he never acted like he had hormones at all. I would have done it sooner but was waiting for the other one to show up.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:17 PM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlagsd
I now have a sweet yearling gelding!
He's the baby in my avatar.
He sure is a cutie, nice soft creamy color.

I have an 11 month old colt (that has his boys down) and he is starting to act studly, and a 7 month old colt with nothing down (still acting like a baby)

I have had people say that gelding them around their 3rd month makes them grow quicker, and I've had people tell me that leaving them they are around a year allows them to grow better. The latter sounds more like logic to me.

But these are my first boys as I only have a stud (who we do not plan on gelding). So I'm not sure what to do for these boys and for future references....

C\'mon Merikle...Heal That Darn Corneal Ulcer!!! Shows coming up...Are we ready?
Old 06-05-2006, 04:17 PM  
Weanling Member

My colts get gelded as soon as it cools down and the flies die off in the fall. they are usually about 6 or 7 months old by then.
Old 06-05-2006, 04:48 PM  
Yearling Member

We have gelded them as soon as they hit the ground and as late as 2 years with no ill effects

RIP: Neverskiphercolor
treasure1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:01 PM  
Greenbroke Member

We've gelded the week after they were weaned and up to three years old. The best time is before or as soon as they start showing "studliness".
TXCowGrl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 05:06 PM  
Kid Safe

Send a message via Yahoo to paige5785
I had my colt gelded at ten months. At first I thought that he was going to make a nice gentle stallion but then after a while he started getting a little hard to handle, and since we were going to pasture him with two other geldings we went ahead and had it done.
paige5785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 06:05 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cascy
We have always waited until they were almost two or sometimes three, always thought it gave them a little more muscle and thickness than if they were done earlier, Don't know if thats true or not, just one of those past down family things. I have also heard though if you wait to long it can affect thier necks and give them some kind of problems but i don't know if that's true or not either
cascy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:24 PM  
Yearling Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnag
My colts get gelded as soon as it cools down and the flies die off in the fall. they are usually about 6 or 7 months old by then.

Yes! That's one of the things my vet stressed. Fewer probems with infections and healing if the flies are gone.
Old 06-05-2006, 08:30 PM  
Yearling Member

I have Scheduled my two colts to be gelded this coming monday.....should I be worried...... Its not too hot out but there is a lot of flies.

Old 06-05-2006, 08:46 PM  
Halter broke

Your boys should be fine. You can rub some swat oinment around, not on, the site to ease the fly problem.
The longer you keep a colt intact, the more bulk he will attain. But colts kept in tact do not grow as tall as they would if they were gelded early. Testosterone causes the growth plates to close earlier which decreases the height.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:27 PM  
Coming two

I would geld him when he starts acting studdish. I'm so glad we had Pepper gelded. He is twice as loveable now than before.

Frustration begins where knowledge ends. -- Clinton Anderson
Sundance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:52 PM  
Bombproof Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merikle Waters
I have Scheduled my two colts to be gelded this coming monday.....should I be worried...... Its not too hot out but there is a lot of flies.

From experience, it is to hot.
My Vet will not geld until the fall or spring.

Everyone I know will not geld in the summer.

They tend to bleed more when it is hot than when it is cooler.

IMO, I would wait, but it is still your decision.

Stud colts we plan to geld, are gelded as soon as they have dropped both testicles.
We dont wait for them to start acting studdy, because from experience, the testosterone has allready started and they still can remember.

Actually going on 6 years
snickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 09:56 PM  
Kid Safe

I don't know if it had much to do with it, but most of my favorite geldings were cut later, usually after 2 years. They seem to have more confidence and personality than gelding that were done very early.

taelesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 10:10 PM  
Weanling Member

We just had our 14 month old colt gelded. He had dropped when he was around 6 months old, our Vet will not geld until over the age of 1 year.........prefers to wait until they are closer to 2 years old to geld.

That was a eye opening experience that i never want to be home again to see.
BYEARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:05 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via Yahoo to cascy
your telling me, my parents used to geld our own horses right there in the front yard, and it would never fail the pizza guy would always show up right as they where in the middle of everything, how imberasing!
cascy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:04 AM  
Weanling Member

This was my first time to be home for this gelding procedure. The Vet left me a huge pile of Horse Testicles in the stall......really nasty....made the hubby get them up and out.
BYEARL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 09:28 AM  
Yearling Member

Ha Ha, my husband couldn't watch! I swear he grabbed his pants and walked out of the barn when the vet took out his knife. Afterwards, he had a real hard time looking at the leftovers. I was teasing him about letting the dogs have them and I think that was too much. He went in the house. I ended up disposing of them, he just couldn't stand to look at them anymore.
Old 06-06-2006, 10:16 AM  
Greenbroke Member

You are in Canada, snickers is in Florida. Biiig difference in climate, especially humidity. I would not want to geld a horse down here in Texas right now, but I'd imagine it's still cool enough up there for it to be managable.
TXCowGrl82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice