Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2006, 05:04 PM  
Halter broke

Fun Show Games

I was just wondering how many of you have ever attended or participated in a horse fun show. I rode in my first fun show 2 years ago and had a blast. I thought it was very interesting to see how versatile all the horses and people were in each event and with each other. Every Memorial Day weekend we hold a trail ride and were hoping to put one on. So far we have :
Pole Bending
Barrel Racing
Baby Bottle Race
Flag Race
Underware Race
Horse and Rider Relay
Ride a Buck
Potato Race
Toilet Paper Race
Ride and Run

Any other suggestions?
Old 04-24-2006, 05:18 PM  
Newborn Member

try ;
* Key Hole Race
* Speed barels
reining-time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:20 PM  
Yearling Member

Tandem bareback is a fun one

also the egg race is good. where they have to keep an egg balanced on a spoon and walk, trot ,canter ,without dropping it.
whiteplainsranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:53 PM  
Halter broke

I totally forgot about the Egg and Spoon race. What is tandem bareback? What is Key hole race?
Old 04-24-2006, 07:23 PM  
Newborn Member

I like this topic too!!!
I assist my instructor with kids and adults just learning how too ride and we are always looking for something that is fun for the kids and new adults to do. It gets boring for the kids just to walk or jog only. We also teach younger kids on leadline. So if any one can list a game that even beginners can do (some of our kids do loping at the moment but just along the rail - most can only jog (posting trot)) that is safe, I would appreciate it as well!!! We have done slowest walk, fastest walk etc., and trot barrels for the more experienced kids/adults but we need more ideas!!

We want the students to have fun but be safe.

Dont forget a description of the game as well.
Old 04-24-2006, 07:27 PM  
Coming two

Sounds fun, how about a plug race? Maybe a bareback class as well.

Appaloosa--brains, looks, and temperment all in one
appygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 08:17 PM  
Halter broke

Blue Willow:

Most of the fun show games is not always about speed. It's to challenge riders as well as teach them more than just the task at hand. They focus more on what they are doing than just riding around a ring which the riding part comes more of a natural thing. Hope that makes some sense. It's also a fun way to get the family involved. Here are some of them broke down. Remember it don't have to always be about speed, which really it is, but it is more about building confidence.

Flag Race. Set your barrels up just like in barrel racing . Have a 3 gallon bucket of sand on both 1st and 2nd barrels (sand in bucket of course) Place a flag in just one bucket. The rider is to ride to the outside of the first barrel, pick the flag up go around the outside of the 3rd barrel, then to the outside of the second barrel and put the flag in and then walk, trot, run, what ever to the finish line. Fastest time wins.
Ride And Run Set one barrel up like your 3rd barrel in barrel racing at the other end of the arena. The rider walks, trots, runs, what ever down to the barrel go around, stop the horse, get off and lead the horse back as fast as they can. They have to go around the barrel though. Fastest time wins.
Toilet Paper Race. This involves teams, 2 horses 2 riders. Each team starts off with an equal amount of sheets of paper, still connected though. The riders ride side by side and are directed by announcer what to do. For instance walk, trot, canter, turn right, left, stop. Just simple demands according to your riders. Once the paper breaks that team is out. Once in a while have them stop and ask to tere of however many sheets, which makes it real challenging. Last team, wins.
Underware Race. There are teams of two people, one horse. Have your third barrel set up at end of arena. One team mate will be waiting at the barrel while the other puts the underware on, ride their horse down to the barrel, get off and give underware to team mate, which has to put them on and ride the horse back to finish line. Fastest time wins.
Potato Race. Have your third barrel set up at end of arena. On the barrel have a bunch of potato's. The rider has to ride up and around the barrel grabbing a potato while on the way back to the finish dropping it into a tub. If it bounces out your disqualified. If not all riders will be graded on best time. (The best tub to use is a muck tub)
Old 04-24-2006, 09:49 PM  
Yearling Member

Tandem bareback

Is where you have two people riding on a horse. The one in the front steers and the one in the back has to hold on only with there legs and keep their hands out to the sides so that they aren't touching the horse or rider in front. The judge calls walk, trot, canter. then they all line up and they have to switch places on the horse without getting off. You have to crawl over eachother. It's a lot of fun.
Old 04-25-2006, 09:43 AM  
Started

How about ribbon race?
You have groups of two, and a piece of crepe paper. The team runs down and turns around the barrel and comes back without breaking the ribbon.

Another fun one is Stump race
It's like barrel racing, but head-to-head, and there's a bracket set up.
http://www.answers.com/topic/camas-prairie-stump-race

Jumping figure 8 is my favorite game class
This is how to set it up http://www.students.dsu.edu/nelsonda...igure8jump.htm (of course that's not to scale!)

At one show I went to, they set up stands along the outside of the arena and suspended those pool diving rings from them. The rider got a long stick or something on that order, and had to run along the outside of the arena and collect every ring from each stand using the stick. For every ring they missed, they got a 5 sec. penalty.

Bat race
ride down with your horse, get off and spin around a bat a few times while someone is holding your horse. After spinning around the bat, grab your horse and run (on foot) to the finish line.

Magazine Race
Ride down and grab the magazine from a person on the far end of the arena. While on your horse, rip out the page the announcer announces. once ripping the page out, give the magazine back to the person and ride back down to the end of the arena.

Pop race
Run down, get off your horse and chug a can/cup of pop. Get back on your horse and run back to the time line.
BarrelGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 10:09 AM  
Yearling Member

All this talk about fun shows is making me wish I was at a fun show right now. I had forgotten about the bat race. Thats a funny one
Old 04-25-2006, 12:55 PM  
Started

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteplainsranch
I had forgotten about the bat race. Thats a funny one
LOL it's always funny seeing people go running off in the opposite direction of the time line, and people falling over from being so dizzy!!

We have this class at our miniature horse shows.

Also, sack race
You have a sack race, but you have to lead your horse while you're racing! I don't know how it would work with full-sized horses, but with minis it's pretty fun to watch.

Musical squares (another mini show one)
Just like musical chairs, same rules and everything. When the music stops, you have to get on a carpet square. One person will be eliminated each round, until only one person is left. Lots of strategy here, and a slow jogging horse is key when they ask you to trot.
BarrelGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2006, 01:48 PM  
Yearling Member

My Riding club, puts one on every year.
I have helped a few times, and rode it a few times.
How about the Blind Fold tack race:
You have someone hold your bare horse, and your tack is laying beside you. Your blind folded, and then must tack your horse up and mount your horse after its tacked. All while be blind folded.
First rider up is the winner.
I did this with my horse and I won 2nd place, I was laughing so hard, that I almost fell off on the other side of where I mounted.
The magzine race, is a good one.
Also they have the Champagne race,
Plastic champagne glasses, filled with liquid, the rider that comes back with the most in his glass, and the quickest time.
call it Glass half full, or glass half empty;
We also do a trail class, Its out of this world: The trail class must be things not on a trail but what ever the title is: We did outerspace one, all objects that are found in outerspace are on the trail. Even green aliens.
Beach theme, or a clown theme, so on.
Also you can have a no ride trail class, the horse must follow the leader or master, with no attachedments, No halter, or leads allowed: In hand go through all objects with the master. They can gather goodies on the way, and fill the bucket up with carrotts, apples and anytreats. Its timed event, every horse is a winner because they get all the goodies to eat after. This is great for those babies that arent ready to ride yet, but we still want to have fun with them.
Good luck, hope you do do it, its so much fun. and gives riders and horses a break and kids love it and adults that dont show, love it.
Its a great way to get money needed for your riding group if you have it Open to all.
We also do a bake sale, at the same time, and a tack trade as well with the fun shows.
sunny is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice