Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2005, 05:27 PM  
Newborn Member

Two year olds and Growth spurts

Hey every1

As of yesterday it was Klondikes B-Day making him a two year old, and what I was wondering is when he'll start to grow, I've noticed he has been growing but not a heck of alot. I recall I read somewherethat during the two year old year that the horse might experience growth spurts but his full sister is three and hes almost as big as her, hes an arab and I know they can keep growing until their six or seven so im really sonfused

Thanks!!!
Old 07-21-2005, 05:57 PM  
Yearling Member

I dont know. My 2 yr old still seems kinda small to me. I cant wait for her to get big!
Old 07-21-2005, 06:13 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Sierra didn't have a growth spurt until he was 3 1/2!! We thought for sure he was just going to be short. But then we walked out one day and he had grown almost 3 inches! So, I wouldn't worry too much yet.
TXCowGrl82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 06:29 PM  
Coming two

My coming 2 year old is 15.1/15.2 and he is bigger then his full sister who is 3. The vet told me that he would be experiencing alot of growth spurts arond now. I think they're growing rates are all a little different. And yes they can keep growing till around 5, I'm pretty sure it's even older for drafts. I hope my boy doesn't get too big . It's hard for me to remember that he's so young.

Jena <3
babycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 10:00 PM  
A J
Greenbroke Member

I've had horses that really didn't do too much growing until they were at least 3, and right now my friend is dealing with a 4 year old QH that experiences growth spurts every few months. I wouldn't worry too much just yet if I were you.

Try not, do or do not. There is no try.
A J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 07:41 AM  
Bombproof Member

My black TB mare didn't hit her growth spurt until her 5th year! Yes, I said 5th! She was average size until then, but we knew her dam, and was just waiting for it all to kick in! Boy did it ever! She is now a total moose, although only 15.2, she has the biggest girth of all my horses, except the Perch!

Her daughter is turning out exactly the same, only taller. She turned 3 in May. Two more years and we'll be able to see all the potential come to fruition.

If possible, I would look back at the horses in her pedigree, too. While not a certain idicator, but it may give you a general idea.

I can find it just fine on my own.....
divinemisselle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 07:56 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Yep, I have a barn full of horses that grew 1-3 inches after 4 or 5. My daughters AQHA mare was sold to me because she was only 14.1 at 3 and she would not be a good huntseat prospect. Well my daughter needed a small horse and her bloodlines(KC Leaguer & Skippa Print) were excellent for a broodmare later. I got her for less than a grand! (They paid 5k+) as a weanling. Good thing my daughter grew because this mare is now 5 years old and 16.1 / 1380lbs. And this mare is so sweet. We ran into the people we bought her from at the horse show and they looked a little peeved!, Be patient it will happen!

There is no such thing as a always or never in the horse world. Say that one time and some horse some where will prove you wrong!.
eieio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 09:22 AM  
Yearling Member

My paint mare grew about 4 inches after her 4th year. I'm still waiting for my filly to have a growth spurt, she's definitely not short, but I can't wait until she fills out so I can see what she'll look like!
Old 07-22-2005, 09:24 AM  
Coming two

Oh no, you're all scaring me a little bit. My coming two year old is already 15.1/15.2 (can't exactly figure it out). I hope he's not THAT big!!

I tried the whole measuring the leg method and it came out to about 16 hands. Boy do I hope that's right!

Jena <3
babycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 10:12 AM  
Pasture Pet

Usually a horse fed a high protein diet will grow sooner/faster than a baby on a more moderate diet. They won't grow more...just faster, which can be hard on joints and such. Keeping them on a more moderate diet will slow their growth and should make it more moderate over their entire 5-6 years of growing.

I think gender does play a part, and I have found that mares/fillies seem to grow faster at first, but then they slow down their growth until they are 4 or so, and then they get growing again (unless they are bred).

Supposedly you can tell when your horse is going to start growing as they will start lying down more!

I am kinda wondering about my arab cross gelding too. He is 25 months old, and does not seem to have grown at all recently, yet the string test shows him adding another 3 inches. Our other horse the exact same age, has done a lot of growing in the same time, but then he is a warmblood.

It is hard to be patient when waiting for a baby to grow, but looking back the years will have seemingly flown by!

Karen2
EquineAlberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 07:06 PM  
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquineAlberta
Supposedly you can tell when your horse is going to start growing as they will start lying down more!
Oh poop, that must mean Strawberry's planning some big time growing, she's started sunning more and more through the day... She's down more than up some days the last week!!!

She's 13 1/2 months and already at 13:3 hands...
Her knee/coronet measurement estimated her to get 14:3...
Calculations at birth estimated her to get 14:2...

I am starting to think that the 15:1 QH believed to be her daddy, might have been switched with a massive belgian!!! {After all, she is 'Belgian (Mealy) Sorrel... Lighter cream legs, orangy body, light mane and tail...} Emma was only 14:2 at three/four years old, on a GOOD day...

What do you all think?

Berry is eating a 14% feed... (As opposed to the 16% mare/foal diets recommended for her age.) Should I try to lower it? Proportionately, she looks great, if not a hair fat, and a bit 'downhill'...
Old 07-25-2005, 07:45 AM  
Yearling Member

Well, I measured Dusty yesterday but she wasn't holding very still so it might not be accurate. It measured 15 3/4 inches, but I was probably off a bit. So, hopefully she reaches at least 15.2hh, which is definitely possible since she's already 15hh. Yayyy!
Old 07-25-2005, 01:37 PM  
Started

My friend's Arab didn't really sprout until he was 3-ish. He was just a pip squeak and he's up to 15 hands. I think he was about 14.1 or 2 when he arrived from Idaho as a 2 year old.
Horse_Orderly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 01:53 PM  
Coming two

Laying down more?

Our gelding, Abraham, came to us when he was 4-5 (the owner had no idea how old he was, he could have been younger) and when he first got here, he'd lay down after every meal. After determining he was ok, we would joke about him "napping" after eating. I NEVER heard that said before, about horses laying down more when they're growing...

Abe grew 3 or 4 inches in the first couple of months after coming here. I attributed it to his youth, and being on good feed...
Promise Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2005, 01:59 PM  
Weanling Member

I keep reading everyone talking about the ugly stage and I am guessing that Rocky just has not went though that yet b/c his hind quarters aren't a little higher then his front yet like most are after they start growing. he is pretty flat right now but I will really be happy when he starts growing some. I know he will prolly not get higher then 15. he is 13.3 right now and is 2 years and 4 months old. I know he should at very least mature to 14.3 and that is b/c all the test we have done show him between 14.3 and 15 hands. I will happy with either one of those two sizes though b/c I am hoping he will be a very stout horse.

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice