Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2013, 07:41 PM  
Weanling Member

Preparing for Show

So in May I am taking my mare to a weekend long show. Well two different shows back to back to be more exact. One local open competition, and one AQHA sanctioned show a few counties over the next day. We have hauled to day long shows in the past and she's always done fine, but this year I feel we are ready to be more competitive.

She is in show ready shape. Being ridden by myself or my trainer at least 5 times a week varying in length and intensity. We know how to travel, and travel well. Her tack fits perfectly, and she will be shod a week or two before. I am just wondering if there is anything more I can do to make sure she does not become muscle sore or crabby especially come the second day. I want her to be as prepared as I can make her.

Any tips, tricks, or advice for those longer show weekends would be great!

"Loving horses isn't just about loving the animal, but loving the commitment that comes with it"

Last edited by DiamondGirl : 04-26-2013 at 07:44 PM.
DiamondGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 08:38 PM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via AIM to Smilie
You Can ride her at home once in awhile, like you do at a show
Often horses in training are ridden/schooled for an hour or so and then put away for the day.
Come show time, that horse, if it is in several classes esp, is maybe ridden English, then put back in the stall, then hauled back out and ridden in some western classes, often with another break in the stall, between the rail classes and maybe trail. Add in the warm up periods, and that horse basically puts in a day working under saddle
Thus, once in awhile, I sometimes ride my horse in the outdoor arena, then take her back to the stall and tie her up with food and water, as you would at a show , while I have lunch or do something else.
I then ride her again, just down the road, or school HUS, if I rode western before
The horse is then less likely to get upset at a show, when all at once the horse is worked so many more times per day than at home
Old 04-26-2013, 09:39 PM  
Kid Safe

If your horse is fit, you shouldn't have much problems. My horse has way more stamina than I do at shows. I'm usually dead way before he is , and not that he's a go-go horse, Red likes to be lazy (the ZMGB personality) but these past few shows man, I can't keep up with him .

My shows are usually 3-4 days, and we always start with a nice slow lunge to warm-up for the day, and he is never put up hot. But if I get free time I like to take him and hand graze him for a bit. Or, one show grounds I go to has big round pens that you can just turn your horse loose in to get to be a horse for a bit.

2 day show shouldn't be bad, just make sure your horse is bedded appropriately and your horse gets to lay down. This means putting your horse in a comfortable stall position. Don't put your horse next to two fractious horses, try to get your horse somewhere where he/she can chill and relax. Like sometimes putting your tack stall between your horse and another is helpful, gotta let your horse have some peace!

RIP Justin
You stole my heart and for that, I am grateful.
Sirita_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 10:28 PM  
Greenbroke Member

Make sure you give your horse a good warm up and particularly cool down to help clear any built up lactic acid. A good curry comb massaged. A liniment rub down may help her feel good.
*Giddy Up* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:13 PM  
Weanling Member

Thanks all!

Smilie that is a great idea, and something I never would have thought to do. It really does make a lot of sense though. I'll have to try this at least once before the show.

Sirta, we will definitely be taking many breaks in between classes! I agree, and I have a sinking feeling I will be dragging my butt around by the end of the first day . I don't know how you do 3-4 shows especially if you're doing multiple classes each day .

Giddy Up the liniment is a good idea. I'll have to do that the night before the second show.

Thank you all again. I feel pretty confident, hopefully we'll have some good photo's to post once we've competed.

"Loving horses isn't just about loving the animal, but loving the commitment that comes with it"
DiamondGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 10:34 PM  
Kid Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGirl View Post
Thanks all!

Smilie that is a great idea, and something I never would have thought to do. It really does make a lot of sense though. I'll have to try this at least once before the show.

Sirta, we will definitely be taking many breaks in between classes! I agree, and I have a sinking feeling I will be dragging my butt around by the end of the first day . I don't know how you do 3-4 shows especially if you're doing multiple classes each day .

Giddy Up the liniment is a good idea. I'll have to do that the night before the second show.

Thank you all again. I feel pretty confident, hopefully we'll have some good photo's to post once we've competed.
Let me tell ya... the split/combined days are hard enough (all western one day, all english the next) But when you do showmanship, halter, wp, hms, trail, hus and eq in the same day it's just plain exhausting!!! I know by the end of the summer I will be fit again, just to go sit in a classroom and get flabby all over again...

RIP Justin
You stole my heart and for that, I am grateful.
Sirita_88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice