Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-23-2012, 11:52 AM  
Halter broke

Question Anyone from the New Orleans, LA area??

Hi everyone - I might be moving to the New Orleans area in a few months and just wanted to get an idea what to expect. I grew up in Colorado but am currently living in Virginia. I am looking at bringing my Appaloosa QH mare but first wanted to get an idea of what the horse community is like...mostly Western or English, average cost of board, average cost of good grass hay (small square bales), availability of trail riding trails (hilly, flat, swampy...), hurricane issue for horses, and so forth....??

If you can give me any input I will greatly appreciate it!!

Thank you in advance!!!!
Caesar&Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:04 PM  
Greenbroke Member

There are a few of us not in NOLA but within an hour drive. There are a few boarding places in the city itself but most people live/keep their horses outside the city. As for riding in the city - it is pretty much riding in the city park or on the levees.

There is quite a mixture of english and western around here, just depends on what barn you go to. I think it is mostly english in the city itself. I pay about $5/square bale but it is just a grass mix hay, the good bermuda or straight bahia will cost a few dollars more.

As for hurricanes, again it really depends on where you are. I live an hour north of NOLA and while I had quite a bit of water with Katrina and much wind damage, I felt safe not evacuating my horses. I am pretty sure all the horses in the barns in the city were evacuated for Katrina.

I've got to run to an appointment but I will try to think of some more tips for you and check the post later.

Can I ask why you are considering moving to NOLA? Just curious, you can tell me to mind my own business.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:16 PM  
Halter broke

Hi,
Welcome to Louisiana! I lived, worked and kept my horses in N.O for several years, but some things have changed since Katrina. In the city boarding opportunities are very limited. Board is expensive and there really is no pasture boarding available any more. All places I know is stall boarding only, some offer limited turnout. Most barns are English.
If you go across the lake to the Northshore it is much more horse-friendly (that is where I am now). Prices are still on the high side, but there is much more to choose from
Feel free to PM me if I can help with anything. I am familiar with most of the barns on the southshore.
mdDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:38 PM  
Halter broke

Thank you for the replies! I will be moving to NOLA due to a new military assignment. They are still not 100% sure that is where I am going but so far it's looking pretty set. I do not plan to live or keep my horse in N.O but closer to Slidell or at least within an hour of N.O.. Actually I'm hoping to locate and rent a small house with 1-5 acres, but that will depend on cost and what is available in or around the August time span.

In the mean time I wanted to learn more about the area and then determine if it's a good idea to bring my mare from VA or try and sell her and buy a new horse later. I ride mostly western so would like to find a barn that leans more in that direction. I would also like to find a place where I can field board her in the summer and have the option of keeping her stalled in the winter.
Old 04-24-2012, 08:13 AM  
Greenbroke Member

I'm not really familiar with the Slidell area with regards to barns. I am near Covington (like mdDVM). I don't think it will be too much of a problem to find a western barn to board but it will depend on how far you want your horse from you or how far you are willing to commute into work. You could always find something convenient in the short term while you look around and learn the area. Or another option would be to leave your mare where she is, if that is possible, until you find a suitable place here.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:17 AM  
Halter broke

I just looked and the Covington area isn't too far away from NOLA. I'm willing to travel up to an hour. My biggest worry would be how bad traffic gets on I-12 and I-10 during rush hour. I work in Arlington VA right now and I can't imagine the traffic being close to how it is here during rush hour...4-6 lanes each direction, bumper to bumper, and often moving at 0-20 mph for miles! We live 1.5 hours from work on a good day and 3-9 hours on a bad day.

I cannot leave her where she currently is because we will be renting out the farm after, if not before, I leave VA. As soon as things are locked in stone I will start looking for a reasonably price barn in LA to keep her at month by month until I get settled in a little and can determine where would be the best place to board her. If I can't rent a place with a couple of acres I will probably try to get a place somewhere between work and the barn. The closer I am to her the more apt I am to ride her 2-4 times a week. I'd really like to find a place where I can do lots of trail riding, some team penning, and try a little cutting .
Old 04-24-2012, 09:51 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Sounds like a good plan. The traffic into and out of NOLA at rush hour is bad but not like that! Also depends on what part of NOLA you are trying to get to.

I know a great cutting trainer near me but for some reason his place is up for sale so I don't think he is training anymore. (Need to see if my farrier knows what is going on next time I see him.) I kept my stallion at this guy's place before moving him to my house and while I personally never trained with him, I watched him train others and was impressed. I know another cutting/penning group out near me that you may want to try; I can give you the name later if things firm up (he boards horses too but I don't think it is an ideal boarding set-up).

As for trail riding, you need to get involved in a group I ride with. We do competitive trail rides which are casual, non-timed trail rides with judged obstacles. Here's the link: http://equi-trek.org/ We would love to have you come out and ride with us.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:09 AM  
Halter broke

Thank you Mister's Mom!! I would be very interested in both groups. I've never tried competitive trail rides, and we are both far from being in competitive shape after a long winter of no riding, but I'd love to give it a try. Hopefully by time we arrive in LA we will both be in much better shape. I will check out the link as soon as I get a chance. Thanks Again!
Old 04-29-2012, 03:40 PM  
Started

Send a message via Yahoo to spirithawk06
Welcome to LA. I'm a good bit away from NOLA but close enough that we make trips out there from time to time. I'd suggest that you learn all the side streets and short cuts. I lived in Baton Rouge for college and found that helped immensely. I'm not as familiar with New Orleans, however, so I always get stuck in the interstate traffic.

Good luck with your move if you come here and just know that an authentic Cajun gumbo doesn't have tomatoes in it.

As for hay, let me know if you can't find any in your area. I'm about an hour away but I know where you can get some good quality bermuda hay for 6-8 a bale. Depends on who's got any available.

spirithawk06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice