Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2011, 12:01 PM  
Newborn Member

arabian-quarter horse cross

ok im wondering if anyone else out there has arabian-quarter horse cross, and if so how do you get along with them? I bought two of them several years ago an the one is really calm and laid back, and the other is full of fire and kinda hard to handle. they are full sisters. The laid back one is only a three year old and already anyone can ride her. The other one is a four year old.
indianacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:11 PM  
Yearling Member

Bought a 5 year old mare 3 years ago for $300 and she was a QH/arabian cross.
For lack of a better word she was the best **** horse I ever owned She was very trustworthy, loyal and did everything I asked of her.
Tough as nails also and she did have a little fire to her but she didn't have a mean bone.
Miss her terrible.

Don't be the rider who gallops all night and never sees the horse that is beneath him ~ Jelaluddin Rumi
bandit08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 12:14 PM  
Started

used to ride one that was fun and athletic, fantastic trail horse. knew a crazy one and own a paint/ arabian, she is a little spooky and a big diva but overall an awesome girl. I really like this cross
Danni L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:26 PM  
Yearling Member

I had a arab quarter cross the was WONDERFUL and I loved her to pieces. I also had a morgan arab cross who was a great little horse but who someone had really messed up by making him too much of a pet and it was VERY hard to get him over that behaviour.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:43 PM  
Yearling Member

It is a great cross

We have about 11 arab/qh's here. I prefer them to the straight QH especially with the heat we have here in texas.
Like any Arab once you gain their trust you have won 1/2 the battle. The other half of the battle is harnessing that energy. Shalom
dbarabians is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:16 PM  
Yearling Member

Got one!! She's a former PMU foal and I just love her to pieces!! She's a great trail horse, inherently lazy (good for me, though), calm, spook free, a quick learner and we've always gotten along well. We learned together, so that's probably a good thing. All of my horse are quarter horse crosses , and personally, I don't think you can go wrong with a quarter horse crossed with just about anything!!
Old 12-09-2011, 08:47 PM  
Halter broke

Owned 2 of them - they were half sisters. Got them both as 4-yr olds. The sorrel was my horse and the buckskin started out as my husband's. We did everything with them! Both were full of fire but the buckskin was the calmer of the 2. When my daughter got old enough to ride, the buckskin was like a babysitter - that horse loved little kids! Taught many a kid to ride on her. They were athletic horses and lived to be very old ages, the buckskin lived to be 32.
TwistedChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 07:40 AM  
Newborn Member

t

I really enjoyed reading all the responses. Thanks everyone! Sounds like most everyone that has this cross really likes it. They are more refined and often very pretty horses because of the arabian in them, and the quarter horse in them keeps them somewhat calm and sensible at least
indianacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 08:12 AM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandit08 View Post
Bought a 5 year old mare 3 years ago for $300 and she was a QH/arabian cross.
For lack of a better word she was the best **** horse I ever owned She was very trustworthy, loyal and did everything I asked of her.
Tough as nails also and she did have a little fire to her but she didn't have a mean bone.
Miss her terrible.
my own mare is the same best horse i've ever owned, but she knows i can handle her hot moments specially while riding, and i put a kid on her and she mellows out and is so respectful. I think some are great cross but i've owned a gelding that i swear we hated each other to no end, he'd bite, kick me in the pasture if i tryed to get my mare, would lay on me while saddling, would squeal as well and everything other bad thing, even pee'd when i tryed to lunge for respect...so really depends on the horse
Old 12-10-2011, 09:48 AM  
Long Yearling

The ones that I've been around once matured, usually are pretty stocky through the bodies, definately can see the Quarter, but their heads are usually fairly refined, not as extreme as most full Arabs....but a fairly refined Quarter.....and disposition wise are pretty laid back/quiet, still able to be perky at times, but definately reflective of the AQHA blood ( but I'm also used to "hotter" full Arabs, or NSH's...so way more laid back comparatively )

They usually have pretty "flat" movement/action...reflective of the AQHA in them......
ahabarabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:33 AM  
Coming two

My avitar hose is 3/4 arab 1/4 QH. I was out trail riding him the other day by ourselves and he is the best. Very relaxed and we are able to go out by ourselves anywhere - the wilderness, local trails, etc. It keeps me sane.

Cons - He can get really hot - if we ride out with people with hot horses, he gets antsy.

He is really smart and will test me - we have a few battles every spring.

I wouldn't trade him for the world but my next horse will probably not be an arab cross. They are just to smart!

https://www.facebook.com/CrownMaxLonghorn
Arabx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:38 PM  
Halter broke

My sorrel quarab used to make me look like a good rider - she was always prancing and tossing her head, seemingly barely under control. But I knew she would never buck or rear and had all confidence in her. She had a rough trot, though.

The buckskin was the first horse I ever broke to ride. Never a buck or rare although she was often spooky when she was younger. My daughter used to barrel race her, they learned together. People used to stop us on trails and try to buy her, she was so lovely.
TwistedChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 07:42 PM  
Yearling Member

They will educate you

About half of the Arab/QH X here take after their arab side the other the QH. They all do have a good amount of Hot moments.
It may just be me but if you can ride a hot horse and ride it well it will improve your overall riding skills. Arabs and their crosses generally do not tolerate any rough treatment or heavy cues. I have found that TB and some QHs are the same.
It does take some time to warm them up and to get their undivided attention. But, they usaully learn really fast . Good luck Shalom
dbarabians is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice