Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2011, 06:36 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Big belly horses**Update pics page 2**

Wondering if it's something I'm doing or not doing but all my horses have huge bellys, they get no hard feed are on 20 acres(3 of them), it's cold now and so the grass has next to no goodness, I have started giving them a little hay to pick at in the morning, they were wormed a month ago, my pasture has lots of hills, at the moment they are not getting worked.

Even through the summer when I was riding plenty they never seemed to slim down, I looked at video footage of my colt when he was 2 at the trainers, she worked him hard and he looked awesome on his return but now he's 3 and has a big belly which I'm not sure is due to lack of work or his breed now he's maturing, do QH naturally have big tums?

The 2 pallys are 4 next April so I will feel better about pushing them to a sweat, do you think it's just lack of work or will they always look porky, the other gelding who recently came back from training is really porky, they said they could not get him to work up a sweat, he is very forward going but never seems to break sweat except for under his saddle, great!

Sorry to go on but people keep commenting on how fat stomached they are too!

Last edited by Lorddaxter : 11-01-2011 at 03:31 PM.
Lorddaxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:20 AM  
Coming two

Send a message via MSN to Lady_Blood_Rose Send a message via Yahoo to Lady_Blood_Rose
could be "hay" or "grass" belly's espiclay if with regular work they do seem to slim it down.
We had a boarder whos horse just kept getting bigger and bigger even with deworming an would have the rankest manure when she would finnaly worm her. Get a fecal checked by your vet just to be sure, We suspected the mare had hair worms an alot of them - her owner wouldn't get anything more then a very very cheapie wormer though an wouldn't get her checked.
Lady_Blood_Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 07:43 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Excuse my ignorance but never done that before, do I just take a sample from each of them in, how fresh does it have to be, thinking it will be hard to get something from each of them at the same time?!
Old 11-01-2011, 08:00 AM  
Coming two

To answer your question, no Quarter Horses do not have naturally fat stomachs. Maybe start working them a bit everyday..? Or do the fecal count as LBR suggested. Just take a piece from each of them, it should be pretty fresh otherwise the count may not be accurate. Take it to the vet office and say you want a fecal count done.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:20 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Here is Ira and Daxter when in work, I will post pictures taken today once light comes up later...
http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1320156743

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1313532870

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1319320957

Only pic I have that you can see his belly a bit!
Old 11-01-2011, 08:25 AM  
Coming two

Send a message via MSN to Lady_Blood_Rose Send a message via Yahoo to Lady_Blood_Rose
you want it fresh as possible from each horse, just take it to your vet n let'em know you need it checked.

Your horses look good imo course look at mine haha XD.
Our boarder who has a big belly on hers looked like the mare was in foal .

corona - the sorel on the left beside the bay this was after her deworming the 1st time.

before her 1st worming
Old 11-01-2011, 08:29 AM  
Long Yearling

Ummm the pic's you posted the horses look fine! Unlike the pic that Lady posted of what looks like a very preggers horse! lol

I don't think your horses have big belly's. I think they look good!
cindyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:31 AM  
Greenbroke Member

I agree with cindyf, I think your horses look fine. I've got some chunky horses in my pasture right now....they are on diets
Old 11-01-2011, 08:32 AM  
Yearling Member

Know how you feel. I have a Paso and a QT on 7 acres. The Paso is the chubbiest and the QT is just getting chubby. I feed Omelean 100 only a scoop a day. Mine are currently lawn ornements and will continue to be so for the next 6 months probably. I don't and haven't had time to ride really for the past 6 month except a little bit.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:42 AM  
Pasture Pet

From the pictures you posted they look fine to me for pasture weight. No big bellys or anything.

Night Fire Ranch
Gotta Love Duns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:47 AM  
Seasoned

Your horses look fine not fat at all.
LBR is there any chance that mare was used for breeding and had several foals? I know some mares that are bred constently get the sprung ribs and always look pregnant. I had a arabian mare years ago in her mid to late 20s she had had a foal every year from the time she was 4 till she was 16 thenevery other year, when we rescued her she was in foal but miscarried. We had been told she had come from a PMU barn.
breburtch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 08:53 AM  
Coming two

Quote:
Originally Posted by breburtch View Post
Your horses look fine not fat at all.
LBR is there any chance that mare was used for breeding and had several foals? I know some mares that are bred constently get the sprung ribs and always look pregnant. I had a arabian mare years ago in her mid to late 20s she had had a foal every year from the time she was 4 till she was 16 thenevery other year, when we rescued her she was in foal but miscarried. We had been told she had come from a PMU barn.
No idea, her owner didn't know anything about her other then she came off a working dude ranch out west she has 2 brands which i tried to track down but couldn't ever find anything on. But the mare did not keep that appearance constantly. When she first came she was actually alil thin but looked good. We require everyone to deworm seasonally (spring, summer, fall, winter). We actually suspected her owner was not worming her as she would quickly rush out with a halter an a tube of wormer then was right back in the barn before you could see what she was doing. but after she did it where we could see her do it, you could see a difference in the mare. she had deowrmed like 2-3 weeks before our fall deworming after she said her vet had told her to worm, then worm again when we did ours after that her mare had some very foul, nasty looking and I mean FOUL. they left us not to long after that so dunno if she continued or what.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:04 AM  
Coming two

Weight wise they look fine. Probably could you some exercise to build up their muscles.

I wouldn't put them on a diet; especially with winter coming.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:12 AM  
Long Yearling

I would suggest if you arent on a regular "DE" worming plan.. do that. I wouldnt even bother with fecal counts if you havent been DE worming. lol.. My pet peeve is that people worm their horses.. I am trying to keep the worms out..
Old 11-01-2011, 09:13 AM  
Long Yearling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyf View Post
Ummm the pic's you posted the horses look fine! Unlike the pic that Lady posted of what looks like a very preggers horse! lol

I don't think your horses have big belly's. I think they look good!
I thought these were the pictures of them when they were in work.. not now?
Old 11-01-2011, 09:19 AM  
Greenbroke Member

All other things being addressed ie, worming and illness, hay belly. Making a horse gallop draws up the belly. It tightens the abdominal muscles. Curious to see how they look now since those photos were while working and fit.
Horse poor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:44 AM  
Bombproof Member

Send a message via AIM to Smilie
These pictures are when they were working and fit?
Where are present pictures to compare with?
Lower quality forage, free choice, will have a horse develope a hay belly, esp combined with less work
That is one of the reasons show horses are kept in, at least part time, instead of allowed free choice grazing. Many people even will feed them pelleted feed or cubes to cut down on the amount of fiber bulk
Smilie looks different in winter then when I have her dry lotted and ridden almost daily in show season
I ride her just enough in winter so that she keeps some condition and fittness, and then it only takes a month or so in spring to get her back in show condition
A worm belly looks different than a hay belly, and the entire horse looks un thrifty with a dull coat, and often a big belly in contrast to not being very fleshy in the rest of the body
LBR, that horse sure looks heavy in foal, rather than having a hay or worm belly

Last edited by Smilie : 11-01-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Smilie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 09:49 AM  
Greenbroke Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathie5665 View Post
I thought these were the pictures of them when they were in work.. not now?

Yes, youre right!

I will post pics this afternoon of the now belly, it was too dark earlier!
Old 11-01-2011, 09:54 AM  
Coming two

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilie View Post
These pictures are when they were working and fit?
Where are present pictures to compare with?
Lower quality forage, free choice, will have a horse develope a hay belly, esp combined with less work
That is one of the reasons show horses are kept in, at least part time, instead of allowed free choice grazing. Many people even will feed them pelleted feed or cubes to cut down on the amount of fiber bulk
Smilie looks different in winter then when I have her dry lotted and ridden almost daily in show season
I ride her just enough in winter so that she keeps some condition and fittness, and then it only takes a month or so in spring to get her back in show condition
A worm belly looks different than a hay belly, and the entire horse looks un thrifty with a dull coat, and often a big belly in contrast to not being very fleshy in the rest of the body
LBR, that horse sure looks heavy in foal, rather than having a hay or worm belly
Yea I know, but they swore up an down she was not in foal. Though when they first came to board with us she often bragged about a stud at the previous barn, that she would prance the mare around in front of an tease him. So it made us wonder if she had the mare covered without telling anyone espiclay since the belly did develop over time. The mare was going on 19. They were with us since like jan or feb.
Our farrier though did look at her an made the comment about her looking wormy, an it reminded me of a puppy with worms how the belly blows out.. But who knows.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:53 AM  
Coming two

My horses are more porky looking in the belly this year than in past.Like your horses they are similiar pasture,with not a regular work/riding shedule. We had a moist spring early summer then pretty decent weather after,the pastures grew better this year than the drought years of previous.My horses because of breed are chunky build to begin with & never have been on skinny side,but have to admit they are chubbier & fuller in belly than usual this year..
paintedpastures is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice