Horse Forum
Home Forum Home Search Horses for Sale Other ClassifiedsNEW! Post an Ad Help

Go Back   Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice
Note: Forum logins are completely separate
from your Horsetopia classifieds account or wishlist.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-19-2011, 02:23 PM  
Halter broke

Do wind-puffs cause pain?

Im' at a dilemma, my OTTB is showing what i cant tell is excesive limping with her front left hoof, but the front right is showing larger wind puffs, and has been favoring the front left and taking weight of of her front right hoof. So sort of a tunge twister but I'm sure you get it. Yet she has no injuries or scares or cuts. i can even completely rub and massage the hole leg without any resistance.
Help please.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Messner Mine.jpg (18.6 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Chasemb : 05-19-2011 at 02:30 PM.
Chasemb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:21 PM  
Started

My understanding of wind puffs is that they are a sign that the horse has been under strain, perhaps not enough to damage ligaments or tendons, but still more than just "normal" wear and tear. I think a horse with "fresh" windpuffs may exhibit some pain, but once they're "set", they don't usually bother the horse (but they also don't usually go away either). I had always been taught that windpuffs were blemishes, not unsoundnesses, but I've only ever dealt with horses that had them from before I got them. I think if you're seeing them show up on your horse for the first time, you may want to modify your training/riding program to reduce stress on the joints. I know some people use boots to provide "support" for the legs, but I don't know if they'd work to prevent windpuffs.
sfl89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:39 PM  
Conformation Clinic Coordinator

Wind puffs generally fall under the heading of 'blemishes'. Usually the sign of a horse that was worked too heavily for too long or was trailered a lot. Usually not anything but a cosmetic issue in most cases. Occasionally some horses just have them for no reason whatsoever. If there is no lameness problems, I'd largely ignore them unless they get really big.

Nominally speaking, it's just the bursa in the joint expanding due to excess synovial fluid in the joint bursa. Or it could be the way the horse is put together. I see a lot of wind puffs on former race horses and hunters/jumpers without there being an issue other than cosmetic.

But, on the other hand, it could he a good indicator of a horse that was worked beyond its capacity to recover adequately from that stress.

Here's a good page that has some information buried in it: http://horses-arizona.com/pages/arti...dfeetlegs.html
gilmorehorsemanship is offline   Reply With Quote

Horsetopia Forum > Horse Advice > General Horse Advice